Caught my first steelhead ever!!

P
pigs
On March 5, 2016, I caught my first steelhead ever! My cousin and I had a blast on a guided trip with Tanner. After a failed attempt the previous weekend due to weather, we tried again this weekend. Weather forecast was not looking good-- gale warning and 90% rain, but we WENT FOR IT. Turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day. Went on three floats, hooked up 3 times (or 4?), landed and kept 1 and ate him for dinner. :thumb:

My cousin and I are now completely addicted. We bought some waders and have been looking up spots for bank fishing on weekends (no boat for a while). Still trying to decide on our next location. Does anyone know any good spots for beginners like us just getting into it? Looking forward to catching more in the future. :)

Reactions: ChezJfrey
K
Kage
Nice, congrats on your steelhead, you've taken your first steps into a larger world. Hopefully one day soon, I too will be a member of the club.

C_Run
C_Run
Congratulations!

B
bubs
Sweet video & congratulations!!

So much info on here already to answer your question & lots of ways to go about finding it..one simple way that has worked for me is to just type "steelhead" and the name of a local river, e.g. "Wilson River"..so much good info will pop up from old threads that way. Lots of good book titles mentioned multiple times in various threads here too.

In the Portland area, I would say certain areas of the Sandy (e.g Oxbow park) or the Clackamas would be good options to hone your skills this time of year with plenty of room to work with & without a lot of other folks crowding you, then maybe work your way up to fishing tighter or more populated spots/rivers with a higher difficulty level (the unfortunate assumption being, if there are a lot of steelhead for the taking from the bank, generally there are either going to be a lot people fishing that spot already, or else it's hard to access and/or fish at...).

Short of someone telling you where specific spots are (doesn't happen to me often but sometimes people are generous!), spending a good amount of time scouting is key. Pay attention to where people are parked up on the rivers so when you go back next time, you can "claim" the spot. Another thing I've done is found bridge crossings and pullouts on google earth and just headed out early and got there first. Lastly, unless you're investing time specifically in scouting or practicing methods, be careful of spending too much time at a spot with no fish! If no one else is around fishing, no boats going by, or if the conditions or timing otherwise don't seem right, consider relocating. Good luck..

P
pinstriper
WOOOOOOoooooooow!!!!!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Congratulations on your first steelhead.

Like Bubs said, lots of good info in the archives. Sandy & Clackamas are good bets for Portland metro area.

D
DrTheopolis
And a new addict (or two) is born. Say goodbye to all your spare money and time.

If you don't mind driving to the Coast, it's a much easier place to learn than the Portland streams. The Clack can be intimidating and befuddling for someone learning, due to the size/width. But Bubs gave great advice.

Use whatever technique Tanner taught you, and maybe adjust it for river height (looks like you were fishing pretty high water -- it only gets easier from there).

T
TimberTodd
Great job all around for clients and guide. You booked your trip with an excellent person.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
TimberTodd said:
Great job all around for clients and guide. You booked your trip with an excellent person.
Tanner will definitely put you on the fish

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

EOBOY
EOBOY
I hate to be the one that said "I told you so" Ha, I told you you would be smiling, laughing and High fiving if you went with Tanner! Good job fish junky!

P
pigs
Thanks everyone! Now to see if I can do it again on my own... Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
ChezJfrey
Nice vid and fun track to go along with it.

0:27 Down!
1:08 Up high!
1:23 Wrist roll!
1:27 Launch!
1:38 Tragedy!

Spots? Hwy. 6 along the Wilson...just about anywhere you can pull off and walk, which is miles and miles of river.

Though this time of the winter season, the Clack is prime...but a lot more hit/miss until you find both good bank access and the right 'spots' in that area where fish hold; it's a bigger river. Same goes for the Sandy. But they both have plenty of fish.

bubs offered a good approach.

Thanks for sharing your trip experience and good luck out there!

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Nice job [MENTION=14424]pigs[/MENTION]. Welcome to the club. Tight lines-

K
kimeun
Great video! It looks like you had a blast. I am a fellow newbie addict (also Asian and female! Slim demographic, we are). I swore up and down that I was purely a trout-hunter until I accidentally caught my first steelhead on ultralight gear at Faraday. Since then, I've only caught a sturgeon on my brand-new steelhead gear, but I am having a blast exploring. So, I relate to your impending hit on your wallet with lack of fish :)

P
pigs
kimeun said:
Great video! It looks like you had a blast. I am a fellow newbie addict (also Asian and female! Slim demographic, we are). I swore up and down that I was purely a trout-hunter until I accidentally caught my first steelhead on ultralight gear at Faraday. Since then, I've only caught a sturgeon on my brand-new steelhead gear, but I am having a blast exploring. So, I relate to your impending hit on your wallet with lack of fish :)

82d8a6db95370886c088b617d32fa6d9.jpg

Hehe just kidding! That's awesome-- if you're ever short a fishing buddy on a weekend, you can PM me! My cousin and I have gotten locked in and stranded out there by Faraday at North Fork. Good times. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
kimeun
Haha. Likewise! I could always use the company. Easy way to figure out what works (or doesn't, in my case) and learn sok me thing new. I find myself out there alone usually since the husband isn't into fishing. Once the rain lays off a bit, I may hit you up :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

P
pigs
kimeun said:
Haha. Likewise! I could always use the company. Easy way to figure out what works (or doesn't, in my case) and learn sok me thing new. I find myself out there alone usually since the husband isn't into fishing. Once the rain lays off a bit, I may hit you up :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sounds good! Funny, my husband doesn't like fishing either. Went with me once and never again, haha. It's either just me or me and my cousin, trying things we learn from YouTube, probably looking like complete rookies to anyone who floats by. Hopefully you don't mind looking like a part of our rookie crew. :)

C
ChezJfrey
pigs said:
Funny, my husband doesn't like fishing either. Went with me once and never again, haha.

Try summer steelhead fishing with him. Winter steelheading can be rough for the delicate ones ;)

K
Kage
If you guys ever fish the Sandy maybe we'll run into each other and I can pick up some tips from you two.