Caught a decent little Cutty yesterday

T
TTFishon
I decided to take the pooch and head eastward for a little trout action. It was definitely a nice day to be in the woods. Started fishing around 12:30 throwing a copper Thomas. I had a few hits from those pesky little landlocked chinook and had one little bass follow my lure and that was it at that spot. I decided to head over to the creek inlet to see what I could come up with. Changed to a black and yellow Panther Martin and on my third cast had about a 25 inch trucked in chinook follow my spinner. At first I thought it was a big bull trout so in an effort to catch it this little cutty came out of nowhere and nailed my spinner. 1286652088.jpg The pic doesn't give it justice. After releasing my fish and realizing the big fish was a salmon I decided to go for a little hike to see if I could find some deep holes in the creek. Didn't find any holes to fish but did find a couple of white chanterelles and I think a hallucinogenic (when cooked properly) mushroom 1286653449.jpg
and a spotted owl out enjoying the sunshine 1286653453.jpg. I decided to head to the back of the reservoir to see what I could find. Fish were surfacing everywhere right where the river slowed into the lake. I saw five more soar heads swimming around and several schools of trout but nothing was biting. Here's a few more pics for your enjoyment.
1286653463.jpg
1286653462.jpg
1286653458.jpg

O
OnTheFly
Thanks Ted. That post was like a breath of fresh air.

troutdude
troutdude
Nice pics and report. Looks like you an muttly had a pleasant outing!

I would suggest, however, that you do NOT eat that mushroom, cooked or otherwise. If you do, we will likely find you in the hospital within 24 - 48 hours. And, you may not live to see another day after that.

The mushroom pictured appears to be an Amanita Pantherina. It is more commonly called the Death Cap!

That mushroom is from the same genus as the Amanita Muscaria (cap is a deep red w/ white patches from the bulb). This is the one that some peeps eat for "special effects". However, it can cause you to become seriously ill and has in some cases caused kidney failure. (At the least, you will regret having sampled it).

Eating ANY Amanita is risky business at best. The primary problem w/ sampling any mushroom specie;
is that each and every individual mushroom has a it own chemical levels. One shroom may have very minute amounts of chemicals and be fine to consume. However, the shroom right next to that one may have much higher levels of toxic chemicals--that can easily cause extreme illness or kill.

BTW, the last time that I found some White Chanterelles...I got $14 a pound for them!

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice report TT! Makes me want to go out and explore.

troutdude
troutdude
Whoops. It's been a while. The death cap is Amanita Phalloides; not the Pantherina. However, some Pantherina's can look so much like a death cap, that it's still risky.

BTW, sorry to hi jack. I was just hoping to help OFFers to not get sick or worse.

G
GrillMaster
Wow - I actually know that place, is it Walker Creek? I was lucky enough to get a trip with Troutski before I went missing and he took me there. That lake has the prettiest water, the color is almost unreal. Nice to see a familiar place, thanks for the pic's.

GM

T
Thuggin4Life
Great pics! I know exactly where that is. that big rock ledge is a dead give away. Caught a nice bull under the bridge right up from there trolling in the boat basically right at the dividing line for lake and river earlier this year. thought it was a big rainbow till it came up to the boat. lb for lb great fighters.

X
xacex
I second troutdudes observation of that mushroom. It does appear to be a Amanita from the warts on the cap. I wouldn't eat it.
Nice pics btw! I miss getting out and seeing nature these days.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
troutdude said:
Nice pics and report. Looks like you an muttly had a pleasant outing!

I would suggest, however, that you do NOT eat that mushroom, cooked or otherwise. If you do, we will likely find you in the hospital within 24 - 48 hours. And, you may not live to see another day after that.

The mushroom pictured appears to be an Amanita Pantherina. It is more commonly called the Death Cap!

That mushroom is from the same genus as the Amanita Muscaria (cap is a deep red w/ white patches from the bulb). This is the one that some peeps eat for "special effects". However, it can cause you to become seriously ill and has in some cases caused kidney failure. (At the least, you will regret having sampled it).

Eating ANY Amanita is risky business at best. The primary problem w/ sampling any mushroom specie;
is that each and every individual mushroom has a it own chemical levels. One shroom may have very minute amounts of chemicals and be fine to consume. However, the shroom right next to that one may have much higher levels of toxic chemicals--that can easily cause extreme illness or kill.

BTW, the last time that I found some White Chanterelles...I got $14 a pound for them!

I thought it might be the red with white spots one but wasn't really sure. I'd never eat anything where you have to cook the poison off of it anyway. I only found 2 of the chanterelles but I'm going back up there tomorrow and hopefully I catch more fish and find more shrooms.

T
TTFishon
troutdude said:
Whoops. It's been a while. The death cap is Amanita Phalloides; not the Pantherina. However, some Pantherina's can look so much like a death cap, that it's still risky.

BTW, sorry to hi jack. I was just hoping to help OFFers to not get sick or worse.

It's ok, you have a good point. I don't want people to get sick either.

T
TTFishon
GrillMaster said:
Wow - I actually know that place, is it Walker Creek? I was lucky enough to get a trip with Troutski before I went missing and he took me there. That lake has the prettiest water, the color is almost unreal. Nice to see a familiar place, thanks for the pic's.

GM

I knew some people on here would recognize this place. I don't like to kiss and tell though.

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
Great pics! I know exactly where that is. that big rock ledge is a dead give away. Caught a nice bull under the bridge right up from there trolling in the boat basically right at the dividing line for lake and river earlier this year. thought it was a big rainbow till it came up to the boat. lb for lb great fighters.

I knew you'd recognize the pics. lol I have yet to catch a bull. Maybe tomorrow.

T
TTFishon
OnTheFly said:
Thanks Ted. That post was like a breath of fresh air.

Hey, no problem. I thought about the fly guys from all the surface activity. Glad you liked it.

T
TTFishon
Throbbit _Shane said:
Nice report TT! Makes me want to go out and explore.

Thanks. Right now's a great time to explore before it gets too soggy out. lol

T
TTFishon
xacex said:
I second troutdudes observation of that mushroom. It does appear to be a Amanita from the warts on the cap. I wouldn't eat it.
Nice pics btw! I miss getting out and seeing nature these days.

I wouldn't eat it either but it is a cool looking shroom.

B
bigsteel
excellent fish TT

T
TTFishon
bigsteel said:
excellent fish TT

Thanks man. There's some beautiful fish in that lake.

T
the_intimidator03
That looks like some beautiful water there TT. Would love to drift a few flies through that.

I
I Grade
Eating panther caps isn't usually fatal, but you don't typically repeat the experience either.... Not the happy smiley shroom buzz that you get from psilocybes. More of a dissociative trip. For the record...I won't eat any mushrooms I pick in the wild. Not a fun way to die, or so I have been told.

T
TTFishon
the_intimidator03 said:
That looks like some beautiful water there TT. Would love to drift a few flies through that.

That's what I was thinking. Are you ready for next weekend?