Caught a chinook!

F
Fred
I caught a 17.85 pound chinook buck. I used a plug. I kept it and and when I cut it up it was white. Apparently it’s some genetic thing that makes it white. 🤷‍♂️ Kinda weird although it tasted fine.

• 934E8D34-2BFC-40A9-9240-BC910D121D1F.jpeg
Reactions: maxwyatt
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
First OFF, congratulations on your catch. Unfortunately, fall chinook have very low fat content even when coming in from the ocean. So, a bright silver fish will eat ok, but it’s nothing like a spring chinook or even coho. That being said, as fish darken up the meat quality degrades very quickly. I personally rarely will keep a fall chinook that’s anything less than even a shiny grey color. It’s a hard lesson to learn, but one many of us have had. If it’s not bright and shiny, you’re better off sending it on its way to spawn.

Reactions: NKlamerus and Chromatose
Chromatose
Chromatose
O. mykiss said:
First OFF, congratulations on your catch. Unfortunately, fall Chinook have very low fat content even when coming in from the ocean. So, a bright silver fish will eat ok, but it’s nothing like a spring Chinook or even coho. That being said, as fish darken up the meat quality degrades very quickly. I personally rarely will keep a fall Chinook that’s anything less than even a shiny grey color. It’s a hard lesson to learn, but one many of us have had. If it’s not bright and shiny, you’re better off sending it on its way to spawn.
x2

jamisonace
jamisonace
Very nice. Congrats on the fish.

There is a rare genetic occurrence of salmon meat being white and its actually considered a delicacy, most for its rarity not for its superior taste.

I would expect a fall fish like that to have meat that is white throughout. Like was mentioned above, it happens rapidly with fall chinook.

I bet it was a really fun fight though. Good job.

F
Fred
O. mykiss said:
First OFF, congratulations on your catch. Unfortunately, fall chinook have very low fat content even when coming in from the ocean. So, a bright silver fish will eat ok, but it’s nothing like a spring chinook or even coho. That being said, as fish darken up the meat quality degrades very quickly. I personally rarely will keep a fall chinook that’s anything less than even a shiny grey color. It’s a hard lesson to learn, but one many of us have had. If it’s not bright and shiny, you’re better off sending it on its way to spawn.
thanks for the advice. I’ll make sure to let ones that are dark go next time. Is it safe to eat the meat?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Fred said:
thanks for the advice. I’ll make sure to let ones that are dark go next time. Is it safe to eat the meat?
Yes...totally safe and I'm sure it's good just like you said. Sometimes if they're a little dark but the meat still has some pink they'll still be great smoked.

F
Fred
jamisonace said:
Yes...totally safe and I'm sure it's good just like you said. Sometimes if they're a little dark but the meat still has some pink they'll still be great smoked.
Ok thank you

F
Fred
jamisonace said:
Very nice. Congrats on the fish.

There is a rare genetic occurrence of salmon meat being white and its actually considered a delicacy, most for its rarity not for its superior taste.

I would expect a fall fish like that to have meat that is white throughout. Like was mentioned above, it happens rapidly with fall chinook.

I bet it was a really fun fight though. Good job.
Yes very fun. I thought I was snagged, but it started to fight 😂. 20 pound line and I hooked it in between two snags. Luckily I was able to keep it from tangling by switching the pressure whenever he swam towards the snags. Got it on a mag lip.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Fred said:
Oh yeah, it’s fine to eat. It won’t be quite as appetizing as a fresh, bright fish but nothing wrong with it. I would suggest brining and smoking it. The fish will soak up the brine and add flavor. I’ve tagged fish that had lower quality meat than I’d expected. I smoked them up and they were just fine