caught a carp on the fly

B
bigsteel
caught this ugly guy today on the north santiam....can anyone confirm if this is a carp or is it a squawfish..WTH is it???either way it put up a nice fight on the fly rod

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
That is one nasty,bowling ball sucking sucker fish! I think they are lower than carp on the "ugly chain"...yuck!

T
Thuggin4Life
Not a pike minnow. carp? peamouth? whatever they are.

F
Finneus Polebender
definitely not pike minnow , maybe a weird pic but not like the carp I know , mouth certainly says sucker fish

T
Troutier Bassier
Its not a pikeimnnow or Peamouth, Its a sucker fish. In its spawning stage... Thats why it looks half dead.

G
Growbug
Thats definitely not a Carp!! :) Sucker... dont know the actual name of them, but.. sucker.
Where did you pull that out off?

B
bigsteel
got it on the north santiam

T
TTFishon
Hey, they may be ugly but at least they are native to the region.

T
Troutier Bassier
Time to get the trebles and head to the crick

Kiiding. ;).

D
DirectDrive
It's a sucker.....just doing his job.
Always put 'em back....you don't want to kill the janitors !

M
Motorcycle Fred
Years ago after I got started fly tying I headed to the headwaters of the deschutes up off of the Cascades Lakes Highway and hike in a mile or so to a beautiful hole right below a sweet looking riffle......I tied on my elk hair caddis and lovingly casted upstream and let my fly roll down the ripples and into the deep pool below.....it made three or four laps around the hole before something from deep down below darted up from the shadows and snatched my fly.....the fight was on.....could this have been that monster brookie I had heard of?....nope.....I landed a 14" white fish....I was hoping my first would have been a native brooky....but nevertheless, I had successfully tricked my first of what would become thousands of fish onto my line. I'll never forget that ugly thing........