Catfishing the Salem area of the Willamette?

T
Trey
Anybody have any good tips for catfishing in salem? All I can seem to catch are little 8-9 inch mud cats. No boat so all i can do is bank angle.

T
the_intimidator03
Well I dont have a lot of specific information but I will pass on what I have learned from personal experience and OFF. Most area's have bullheads, aka mudcats, but you should be able to find channel cats in I believe walter wirth? I think someone can verify that. also you can find them in the Willy (may be few and far between or possibly just need to find the right structure and conditions) that is the only place i know to find catfish in your area.. Oh there is one more. St Louis Ponds near Woodburn, I think pond 7 has channel catfish (also has special regulations so please double check them before going there)

Others will be able to help you further. Welcome to the forum

T
Trey
Thanks!

I
Ifishforfood
are you currently catching mudcats?

T
Trey
About two weeks ago I was, I haven't gone lately due to the weather

G
gobeavers08
Trey said:
About two weeks ago I was, I haven't gone lately due to the weather

Treydizzle get up here and hook a steele ;)

M
Merle
:clap:Last year there was a young man who caught a 31 lb. Channel Catfish while fishing from the bank at Water Front Park in Salem.
The picture of him and his fish were in the Salem Statesman-Journal. March 10th 2011

Last edited:
S
sturgeongeek
Salem waterfront

Salem waterfront

Merle said:
:clap:Last year there was a young man who caught a 31 lb. Channel Catfish while fishing from the bank at Water Front Park in Salem.
The picture of him and his fish were in the Salem Statesman-Journal. March 10th 2011

I second fishing down at the waterfront. Right off the end of the dock and cast west-southwest. I basically use a sturgeon rig. Sliding weight on the mainline above a swivel (I really like the PLine ones), then about 16" of leader. I have caught quite a few channel cats on the willamette in that type of water.