Catfish fishing around Eugene

B
Boywhofishes
i have never fished for catfish... i would like to start, so if you guys could get me started on what gear and where to go (around Eugene) and what kinds of catfish are best to fish for, any advice would be AWESOME!

Thanks in advance!;):cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Troutski
Troutski
Boywhofishes said:
i have never fished for catfish... i would like to start, so if you guys could get me started on what gear and where to go (around Eugene) and what kinds of catfish are best to fish for, any advice would be AWESOME!

Not sure we have Catfish in our area....there is this type of fish in our general area called a Bulllhead...that resembles a Catfish but I don't think it is. A bottom feeder just the same, I would guess stink baits would work...keep us posted on your experience curve.

Chuck

B
Boywhofishes
i found a dead catfish or what i think was a catfish... from the pics i've seen... it was floating at the delta ponds so i don't know...:shock:

bullheads?...

Troutski
Troutski
Fishing Synopsis

Fishing Synopsis

Boywhofishes said:
i found a dead catfish or what i think was a catfish... from the pics i've seen... it was floating at the delta ponds so i don't know...:shock:

bullheads?...

Check the fishing synopsis provided by ODFW, it has pictures of most of the species in and around our area.

Chuck

B
Boywhofishes
thank you, i'll take a look:cool:

F
FishSchooler
All you need for catfish are worms, powerbait (stinkbaits), or for bigger catfish, some sunfish as bait. A lot of the marshy ponds down there I think have some catfish

C
chris61182
Yup, lots of catfish around, with channels and bullheads being the most common, and supposedly there being some whites and blues in the Columbia and Willamette. And perhaps most infrequently caught due to its preference for live fish are flatheads.

I would think that in the Eugene area Fern Ridge would be an excellent place to try, especially if you can get access after dark. Baits for catfish run the gamut from soap (I still want to try catching one on soap) to the stinkiest-fermented-bloodiest nasty things you can find. But most people stick to worms, liver, or dead fish. Fished with a circle hook and a slip sinker on the bottom should do the trick.

B
Boywhofishes
i don't think i can get access after dark, unfortunately... would they hang out in the same areas as bass and bluegill?...(except on the bottom)
i kind of need to go from the bank until i get my new boat...:rolleyes:

H
Hawk
The Bullhead species of catfish in Oregon will get pretty big if they have time to grow. I've seen some up to 20" or so................:D................in waterways that aren't heavily fished that have food sources for them. I've caught & R them, with nightcrawlers. I put a 2 oz sinker on the bottom, then a leader & hook about 18" above. If legal another leader & hook above that.

Lustrums ago i did a lot of Catfishin' down in the concrete canals of CA.........the CA Aquaduct & the Delta/Mendota canal.............They loved Pileworms/Bloodworms, cut anchovies, turkey liver, chicken liver...........put pieces of liver on piece of plywood in the sun fer a bit to get somewhat firm. Wrap sewing thread around liver to keep it on the hook good...................thar are also a lot of good sizes Striped Bass in the canals..................:D

H
Hawk
Boywhofishes said:
i don't think i can get access after dark, unfortunately... would they hang out in the same areas as bass and bluegill?...(except on the bottom)
i kind of need to go from the bank until i get my new boat...:rolleyes:

Most of the Cats i've caught was from the bank Pard. I pounded a poleholder spike into the ground then bungy corded my rod to it, put a little bell on the tip especially at night. I camped out in an ol class C motorhome. Caught lots of catfish at nite & during the day............many stripers tooo...............:lol::lol::lol:

they are in the same area's as bass/bluegill, etc...........:dance:

L
liquidplumber
If you can't go out at night you might try for them in holes next to the bank or under trees overhanging the water.Under cut banks are the best.They don't like sunlight much, but I have caught them at anytime during the day.I also used to fish the canals in calif.We would fish for big channel cats under road crossings and tunnels where it's dark during the day.In the canals thats the only place to find shade and they tend to school up there.But be very careful fishing around them , If you fall in you might end up as bait.Early morning and evening is pretty productive also.Channel cats that come out of fresh clear water are very tasty.Watch out for the spines .Good luck

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
My neighbors go over to Takenich (I have no idea if that is how it is spelled:lol:) for catfish. She says she always uses two hooks and brings back extra for the freezer. I love the coast but haven't tried that lake yet.
Barb

C
chris61182
liquidplumber hit the nail on the head with the locations listed. I'd only add that they're likely to be found in and around dead wood in the water, both logs and the root balls on the bottom.

H
Hawk
ya'll mite want to try a little Noodlin'.............wade into the river...........find a hole in the bank................stick yer arm in thar & see what ya find....................EEK.........................:lol::lol::lol::lol:.........ain't always a catfish......................:cool:.............:D

C
chris61182
Hawk said:
ya'll mite want to try a little Noodlin'.............wade into the river...........find a hole in the bank................stick yer arm in thar & see what ya find....................EEK.........................:lol::lol::lol::lol:.........ain't always a catfish......................:cool:.............:D

:shock: Eek! No thank you!

Actually it might not be too bad around here, as there aren't too many snapping turtles and various poisonous snakes.

H
Hawk
In our Beloved Oregon i've come across some pretty fierce snappers................:D...............the only poisonous snake was the Pacific Rattler i saw on the high desert......................:shock::shock:.............:D

C
chris61182
Hawk said:
In our Beloved Oregon i've come across some pretty fierce snappers................:D

I'm not saying there aren't any, just that they're no where near as common as in the locals that noodling is popular.

Troutski
Troutski
Wonder...

Wonder...

chris61182 said:
I'm not saying there aren't any, just that they're no where near as common as in the locals that noodling is popular.

Ever wonder why they call it noodling ??? I have my own idea but wondered what the real reason was. ;)

Chuck

C
chris61182
Come to think about it, I've never heard any reason it's called noodling.

B
bigfootfish
catfish

catfish

Boywhofishes said:

Several species of catfish inhabit Oregon's waters. The most common catfish in Western oregon is the Brown Bullhead, and they have no trouble spawning. They don't get very big, maybe 15 inches?
However, Channel Catfish are a whole different breed of cat. The state record for a Channel is around 36 pounds. Big. Sadly, unlike the Brown Bullheads, Channel Cats need sustained water temperatures of 70 degrees in order to spawn. Since that warm a water is actually very rare in western Oregon, the ODFW has been stocking Channel Cats for years. Bond Butte Pond, 3 miles north of exit 209(Sherman Brother's Trucking exit) on the east side of I-5 has Brown Bullhead and Channel Cats in it. Channel Cats upwards of 17 pounds have been landed at Bond Butte. The St. Louis ponds near Woodburn/Gervais on the west side of I-5 also have planted Channels Cats.