Catfish on Multnomah Channel

J
joro79
Hey guys,
what is your experience with catfishing from the shore on the Moltnomah channel. I tried last summer using nightcrallers and hotdogs but without any success. I even tried dipping the hotdogs in "Assjuise" scent but it didint work.
Any advise?

H
Hawk
I've never fished there but lustrums ago i caught many Catfish & Striped Bass in the CA Aquaduct & Delta/Mendota concrete canals.............

They loved Pileworms the Best...also used Blood worms, Night crawlers..............at times i used cut anchovies, chicken or turkey liver (wrap sewing thread around it to keep on hook)................:lol:

We usually put a 2oz flat sinker on the bottom...2' up put a 12" leader & hook...another 2 1/2' put another 12" leader & hook...............

Happy fishin'...............:)

Fillet Cat...deepfry in Golden Dipt beerbatter fry mix................GOOD Eatin'......................:lol:

C
chris61182
I've also tried the MC last summer as well, primarily hoping for catfish, but really anything. I was fishing from Sauvie Island, on Sauvie Island Rd way past where the black top ended right before it turns back inland, and didn't have any luck.

As a matter of fact there were was never really much of a shortage of anglers there and their catching was pretty much the same as mine. So I don't know what else to tell you. But I know I'm not planning on spending much time there again this summer, instead I'll be focusing on Hagg for catfish and carp.

H
Hawk
At some of the Oregon lakes & ponds i've caught some , what some call a Bullhead Cat. They weren't very big...maybe...6"-8"...................but they will grow..............................a buddy of mine put some that were about 6" in his pond>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>about 4 years later..................bullies are...18"----24" or so........................:lol::lol:.................:cool:

C
cchinook
cats

cats

when my kids were small I took them to the fishing dock on Sauvie Island- the Gilbert River boat launch - we would get buckets of cats right under the
dock - just worms -

J
joro79
Thank you all for the good information.
chris61182 I was fishing pretty much at the same place and.....with the same success. The place looks like it can hold fish but I was very disappointed from the results.
I have been only once to the Gilbert river ramp, probably I should try it again.
Hey I read in some posts online that people are spraying their bait with WD40 and had some good results for catfish. Some even used soap. I am not big fan of pollution but do you think that this could work?

C
chris61182
Well like you I'll probably give the Gilbert ramp another try or two.

As for the soap I've only heard about people using it in other parts of the country, never here. But it's something I want to try just to say I've caught a fish on a piece of soap.

Then for the WD40. Yes, technically it's illegal, but so would many other scents, soft plastics, old 2-stroke engines, etc... you're allowing a petroleum product to enter the water.:think: If used sparingly it would be no more damaging than those other more accepted items, if not used sparingly you'd most certainly be polluting.

Now whether soap or WD40 work for catching catfish, I most certainly believe it has produced. Now the big question is will it out produce other baits? I have a hard time believing even the most seasoned old cat would turn down a worm in favor of some ivory soap.

J
joro79
One problem with the gilbert river ramp for me is the huge amount of boats passing by. Do you think that the boats scare the fish?
One bait that I would love to use is alive fish or frog but I know it is illegal in Oregon. Also the chumming is great thing when done properly but I don't know why it is not allowed here.

C
chris61182
The ramp has always been nearly completely boat free all the days I had gone, which was usually in the evenings after work, but even the time or two on the weekends hasn't been bad. And no idea if it scares the fish, though it has to given my lack of catching :lol:.

And I agree the Oregon regulations have some weird aspects for those coming from the more eastern states, myself included. The single rod regulation is what keeps me from fishing for catfish/carp more often as I just can't stand sitting still that long. The live bait makes sense given the problems with tui chub and goldfish, but at the same time it would be great to allow using fish caught from the body of water as bait, as I can only imagine there are some HUGE flatheads out there in Oregon just they aren't interested in dead fish. And of course chumming probably has the same reason that you aren't supposed to leave your fish carcasses in the water. Only with chumming you're introducing something that wasn't necessarily supposed to be in the water in the first place, while the fish carcass law makes no sense what so ever because that's where the fish, especially salmon, are supposed to end up.

J
joro79
Yeah I would love to trow a rod for carp and then fish with a spinerbait for other species. BTW you are allowed to have more than one hook on your line, right? At least this is how i read the regulations.

C
chris61182
joro79 said:
Yeah I would love to trow a rod for carp and then fish with a spinerbait for other species. BTW you are allowed to have more than one hook on your line, right? At least this is how i read the regulations.

The way I read it is 3 hooks, and trebles only count as one, except with some exception for sturgeon fishing.

O
Osprey
WD40 isn't a petroleum base product, it's mostly silicone. As many of the scents you buy are also.

C
chris61182
Osprey said:
WD40 isn't a petroleum base product, it's mostly silicone. As many of the scents you buy are also.

Though the can says "contains petroleum distillates." Not really sure what exactly that means.

T
trollin4trout
page 7 Oregon Fishing regulations:

Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when
taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.
Live non-gamefish are:Suckers, NorthernPikeminnow, Carp,Chub, Sculpin, and
other Nongame Freshwater Fish

The Columbia up to Bonneville is tidewater, as is Multnomah Channel and the Willamette up to Oregon City.

And it is NOT illegal to put WD40 on lures or bait- it's only illegal to spray it IN the water.

J
joro79
wow, that is very good information trollin4trout. i would love to try sime live bait. I was used to fish in europe for European Chub with live frog for a bait. It was a blast. Now my next task will be to find a way to catch bait fish :).

S
stream2.5
and being that the willemette and columbia arre tide water up to boneville and the falls..... i say go catch some perch and go catch a lunker cat....