Catfish bite?

F
Fisherman.Z.
has anyone tried catfishing lately? i dont know if they cool down in winter like bass, i only fish for them in summer. i assume they will bit about the same no matter what maybe a little less but, again i dont know...:think:

W
Webwader
Since all fish are cold blooded, their metabolism slows down as they get colder with the water. Not only do they not need as much food they cannot digest much food due to the slowdown. Catfish are no exception.

T
TTFishon
I used to catch them in the winter months at Fern Ridge right next to the dam when I was a kid. They were all small 8 to 10 inchers. Caught them using nightcrawlers on the bottom.

H
Hawk
Lustrums ago i caught channel catfish & stripers throughout the whole year in the CA delta, delta/mendota & CA aquaduct canals...................:D...Dec, Jan was the poorest fishin'.

fer the last 4 lustrums where i live here in Oregon i've caught brown catfish in the summer & c&r many BASS after the water temp is about 50 f................:D

M
mikeredding
I used to catfish the local reservoirs and winter was never productive at all. Usually didn't pick up until May.

O
Oregonchris
I have a Detroit Lake flyer that says there is good cat fishing in it? Has anyone ever tried Detroit for cats?

D
Drew9870
Detroit is the best catfishing I have had since the Snake River, but I haven't caught any over 13 inches out of Detroit. Just use a whole nightcrawler, I haven't tried chicken liver.

T
TTFishon
Drew9870 said:
Detroit is the best catfishing I have had since the Snake River, but I haven't caught any over 13 inches out of Detroit. Just use a whole nightcrawler, I haven't tried chicken liver.

What kind of catfish does Detroit have?

F
Fisherman.Z.
maybe that would be something fun to go and try... a bunch of different catfish baits at detroit... see what does it...:)

F
Fishtopher
TTFishon said:
What kind of catfish does Detroit have?

just the little yellow bellied mud cats

F
Fisherman.Z.
Fishtopher said:
just the little yellow bellied mud cats

channel cats? is that what you mean?

M
mikeredding
Fisherman.Z. said:
channel cats? is that what you mean?

I believe they are Brown Bullheads

F
Fisherman.Z.
oh ok. that makes sense. i never think of bull head when i think of catfish... probably cause im a little dumb some times...:D:rolleyes: