Catching Salmon in the Necanium Estuary (Seaside)

N
n8r1
Hi, new to this forum, but hope to learn and contribute.

I was wondering if anybody has ever had any luck fishing for Salmon in the Necanium River / Estuary in Seaside? In particular, if anybody has any tips or strategies for bank fishing?

I saw a couple guys with poles on the 12th Avenue Bridge, but when I went down to talk to them, they were fishing for Dungenous Crab. Does anybody know if you can catch salmon from that bridge? Possibly with darts?

Any other advice is welcome. We just bought a place over there and I'm looking to do some regular fishing on weekends. I'm going to inquire with the locals as well, and will pass on any info I hear from them.

H
halibuthitman
ha! finally a way to get even with the punks who local boyed me out of a spot there last summer.... so everyone in the whole universe... as you drive south on 101 out of seaside, just after the taco bell kfc there is a bridge on your right, fish right there, really good spot... some punks told me to leave and that it was a locals only hole.... so, world wide web, there you have it.

N
n8r1
Thanks Halibuthitman! There certainly is no shortage of punks in Seaside, that's for sure. What kind(s) of fish did you pull up before the locals kicked you out?

H
halibuthitman
I was steelhead fishing, but it is an extremely good section for salmon too, kloochy creek bridge is also a pretty darn good bet and about 2o minutes from downtown seaside, you also are 35-40 minutes to n. fork Nehalem and not too far from the Kilchis and Miami... you made a fine decison on a location for a vacation home. I drift the necanicum often.... mabe I,ll p.m you next time I go, but im a during the week guy, the N. fork and the necanicum get pretty crowded on any given weekend. If you start getting punked out there you need to establish a hammer as apposed to a nail stance..quickly, or they will have your number for good.

N
n8r1
Cool, thanks bro! I'll bring my dog along...a 100 lb Bullmastiff tends to be a pretty good way to keep the rough locals at bay :)

Shoot me a PM anytime and let me know what's working for you, and I'll do the same. I'll probably be more of a Thurday-Sunday guy over there, but might take an entire week off during the hot seasons.

F
FishFinger
The Necanium has normally robust Fall Chinook return. You can look to begin targeting them early to mid October.