Catching crab from the jetty

B
Brian Dupree
Has anyone ever done any crabbing off the jetty in Tillamook? I was thinking of throwing out a couple of pots while I am fishing from the jetty, but don’t know if that is the good place to do it. Any help, tips or suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sharing & caring...

Sharing & caring...

Hi Brian, I am also curious about the ins and outs of fishing and crabbing on/around jetties. I have never done either one, but it sounds like it would be a great way to spend the day. I am determined to do more fishing and trying new things this year. Especially since I am only forty-five minutes from Lincoln City. Hope you don't mind me "eavsdropping" on the answers you get...:D
Barb

C
chris61182
To be up front, I can't say I've ever tried crabbing from a jetty before. But I would think you'd run a huge risk of losing a traditional pot or ring when trying to retrieve it from the jetty. Though there are traps designed to be cast and retrieved with a rod and reel that might be a little better suited for a jetty. Off the top of my head the only name I can come up with is Crab Hawk, but I'm sure there are others as well.

A
A_J-Llama
I also would think your loss rate is very high in the rocks. I think off the pier by the Coast Guard station would be better suited for pots. I also have one or two desighned for casting with a fishing rod but have not tried them yet. I would probably try farther back in the bay where the rocks are fewer, in the bend where the jetty begins. Check with Lyster's bait shop between Garibaldi and Barview, very familiar of the area and always have good fresh bait. Haven't been down for a couple years, hopfully they are still there, good people .

F
fish_4_all
Well I used to break the "rules" and use a bunch of tangled up old 2-4 lb test for crabbing off the jetty here. Tie it off, add a piece of bait and a 4 ounce weight and let it fly. When oyu reel it in you just reel steady and bring them in. No, I don't do this anymore but it worked well and rarely lost a crab or a rig.

I want to try the Crab Hawk for sure but I owuld be making sure to throw it way out there to get past the rocks and maybe add 1-2 ounces of weight so it doesn't drift if needed.

If you can find them the crab snares can work but are hit and miss more or less. Little boxes for bait with line to tighten up on their legs. A quick lift and a steady retrieve is all it takes.

D
Dichrofisher
I use the crab hawk for crabfishing, my favorite haunt would be Netarts Bay. It casts out to where the boats are. My setup consists of a Abu Garcia BRUTE rod, Penn 321LH level wind reel and 80#braided line. I started with 30# mono but it snapped on an extra weildly cast:shock: I bought the setup at Fred Meyer in Newport. I like cheap chicken thighs for bait. The key to retrieval is constant pressure when reeling in, think Ling cod...

C
CrabHawk
CrabHawk

CrabHawk

The CrabHawk works well from jetties, docks, piers, boats and kayaks. If you do get hung-up in the rocks, just bounce or butterfly the Crabhawk to free it up. The CrabHawk is sent all over the World and used to catch many kinds of crab & lobster. Check out the short video:

YouTube - CrabHawk - Newport OR - Dungeness Crab

Remember, CrabHawk gets you out where the BIG ONES laya nad where dinner is just a cast away!:dance:

A
A_J-Llama
That looks like a great device and very easy to use. About how much do they sell for and who carries them?? Joe's ?? Fishermans warehouse ?? Looks much better than the bait box/snare device I bought at Bi-mart and from watching the video, you can catch several at a time to boot with the "Hawk".Thanks for the advice and the video link, hope to try one out soon.

O
osmosis
I got mine at a bait shop in Newport. it was just under $20 if I remember right.
We get more than one red rock crab all the time but usually only one dungeness.

C
CrabHawk
CrabHawk

CrabHawk

You can get the CrabHawk at most large sporting goods stores, such as Joes, Bi-Mart and even online at the "CrabHawk" website....check it out!

F
fish_4_all
Check out online and locally, I have seen them online from $9.99 to $21.99. I have also seen other traps very similar to the crab hawk priced from 3/$16 up to $25 each. I built my own for about $6. I now have stainless wire I am gonna try out and if it works will only cost me about $4 each for a generic one and $7 each for what I would consider quality stuff and done "right".

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
I just recently started jetty fishing, and accidently stumbled upon a cool way to catch crabs i use a big hook like 1/0 or 2/0 bass hook wraped with turkey or any old meat and tie it to the hook like a sand shrimp (wraped up real good) I put on a 2 ounce pyrimad weight and bammm cast it way out. let it sit for like 5 min give it a gentlille little tug if it feels like theres a rock on it just bring it in steady and slow. when it gets close to the rocks use a long handled net and get it about a foot under the surface. dont let it any closer or it will let go. I got 2 dungeoness and 9 red rocks in about 4 hours the other day in new port. and one big ol' cabezon rockfish. (it wasn't hooked but wouldn't spit out the mouth full of turkey. LOL)

L
lechner
That's an awesome method, Troutmasta! The first time I went jetty fishing in Newport, I actually managed to catch a large female dungenous on my 4" black plastic swim bait. I must have bonked her on the head something awful with it because I'm certain it didn't smell like typical crab food. :lol:

I was out on the north jetty at Tillamook bay today for the first time and will confirm the very high probability of losing a traditional crab pot/ring out there. The rocks off the jetty are plentiful and spelled death for my cheapo snare, as well as numerous hooks, jigs, weights, etc.

F
fourgotten
troutmasta said:
I just recently started jetty fishing, and accidently stumbled upon a cool way to catch crabs i use a big hook like 1/0 or 2/0 bass hook wraped with turkey or any old meat and tie it to the hook like a sand shrimp (wraped up real good) I put on a 2 ounce pyrimad weight and bammm cast it way out. let it sit for like 5 min give it a gentlille little tug if it feels like theres a rock on it just bring it in steady and slow. when it gets close to the rocks use a long handled net and get it about a foot under the surface. dont let it any closer or it will let go. I got 2 dungeoness and 9 red rocks in about 4 hours the other day in new port. and one big ol' cabezon rockfish. (it wasn't hooked but wouldn't spit out the mouth full of turkey. LOL)

Awesome work if you can keep 'em on long enough... and the plus side is that you stand a chance of getting something like that cabezon! (mmm... I LOVES me some cabezon... I think that they taste as good as ling!!!)

Prolly work using herring or something similar, too...

But I never tie on my sand shrimp... hmm...

F
fish_4_all
Be careful with using a hook like that depending on the laws. Up here I have seen people get fines for using hooks and hooking the crap through the leg.

As for herring or using fish, you can do so but the turkey neck stays on better and seems to work better. Not to mention no worry of a seal trying to eat your bait.

M
Mr. B
Jetty Crabbing

Jetty Crabbing

I think if you drove over to the south Jetty and walked into the crab harbor beach. throw from there, due to a lot of sand most likely you will be better off.