Catch and release farm trout

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Any special tips to releasing farm raised rainbow trout? The only room mate who eats them moved out recently.

I try and keep them in the water, dehook them quickly, avoid skin to scale contact and no idea if they make it through the night after that.

I usually see 8-10 dead ones laying on the bottom while I'm kayaking Alton Baker, could be bad releases or unhealthy fish to begin with. Surprised they last that long with all the birds out there

Last edited by a moderator:
G
Gulfstream
Check Shelton fishing products. Self releasing hooks if you are bait fishing work GREAT! You don't even touch the fish or take them out of the water.I have used them extensively and have had great results. If using lures/de barb the hooks and change out trebles to singles

Reactions: Troutski and Fred
troutdude
troutdude
@NKlamerus most of them will survive. Especially with how carefully you release them. A Fisheries Biologist once told me that they have an enzyme in their blood. Which dissolves the hook in about 3 days.

Reactions: Troutski
bass
bass
Gulfstream said:
Check Shelton fishing products. Self releasing hooks if you are bait fishing work GREAT! You don't even touch the fish or take them out of the water.I have used them extensively and have had great results. If using lures/de barb the hooks and change out trebles to singles

Those are an interesting idea. Thanks for the link!

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I only catch and release farmed trout, I only use artificial bates and larger than normal it helps hook them in the mouth and can't swallow the hooks.