Casting and retrieving Herring?

B
beaverfan
I know a spot where I think casting and retrieving herring might be pretty effective. It's a pretty deep hole with the fish suspended at 10-20ft or so plunking is out of the question and I'll be fishing from the bank. Anybody have any techniques for casting and retrieving herring. I have a pretty good idea how I might rig it but just wanted to get some input.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive got strikes doign that with herring and kwikfish on the salmon river. tie on an ounce or so of trolling weight,cast out and let it sink for a few seconds the keep your rod tip down and retrieve. usually i rerieve it slow but you never know..fish are picky just switch up your retrieve.

Reactions: beaverfan
N
NavyBTret
I haven't cast herring in a river but I use to have really good luck casting herring from the bank up in Washington at Point-no-Point. I found that cut-plugs don't last very long, and mainly used whole red-label size. I wdidn't use any weight and just counted down, then retrieved it very slowly. I would use a two or three hook setup, 5/0, 4/0, 3/0 is a nice hook combo with the smaller hook trailing behind the herring. I had good success with chartreuse or blue dyed herring, sometimes even dying the bellies red. Main thing to remeber is not to set the hook, just continue reeling and apply pressure after they take it.
Good luck

Reactions: beaverfan
B
beaverfan
Great info guys, keep it coming!

B
Bad Tuna
I'd be more inclined to use a spinner. Many bank anglers in the lower willamette throw spinners from the catwalk, docks and the rocks just down from the west linn bridge. They catch a few fish.

brandon4455
brandon4455
if you ever fish the tidewater or bays try this when your not trolling. you will be surpised!