casting a level line problems

B
bigdaddycain234
so i bought a okuma convector cv 20L I went out to salish ponds today threw my line out instant birds nest every time I threw the line out any ideas this is my first time using this reel? help please !!??

S
skunk
Yes, first make sure you have the right size line for the rod, too heavy or too light and you will have issues. Then put the rig on that you will cast, be it a lure, or weight/hook. Whatever it is should also be matched to the rod. Usually the rod has the weight and line size on it. Then reel it up till you are able to hold the rod out and not have the stuff touch the ground. Start with the little knob (not sure of the name) that loosens the spool, tight so that the spool wont spin (this is with the button engaged like you are ready to cast) spin that little knob (its usually located under the star drag), until the whole setup starts to spool out toward the ground. Now I usually tighten it back till the rig just about starts spooling. Now you are ready to fine adjust. I usually tighten that knob up a hair and start casting, always keeping your thumb lightly on the spool so as the rig is about to hit the water after a cast you can be ready to thumb it if things go south. Then adjust the spool know till its casting just the way you want. It takes awhile to get the touch, steelhead fish and you'll cast enough that usually by the first week its second nature. Also, take it in to Fishermans, or your local fishing store and usually they will have someone around who knows the tricks, or someone fishing next to you. Good luck.

K
Kais
Level line is no good. I don't know if your a beginer or not, but You probably need to get better at casting,
and to get better at casting, get a good weight forward, floating line.

W
waco
Kais said:
Level line is no good. I don't know if your a beginer or not, but You probably need to get better at casting,
and to get better at casting, get a good weight forward, floating line.
I think he's talking about a bait caster reel!!! :lol: :lol:

N
NoobTooner
if that's the case , then the correct term is level-WIND. now one way is to tighten thedial down to the point that with the button pressed, your lures weight alone just barely takes starts to take line out. now tighten her down just a little more and give it a cast. it'll probably seem too tight so just a pinch at a time, start backing it off until its casting the way u like. also like was said, ALWAYS keep ur thumb on the spool lightly. especially when ur lure is about to hit the water. in fact its usually good practice to choke it slightly as/just before it hits to soften the landing a reduce the chances of spooking the fish. it also has the benefit of laying your line and set-up out a little flatter.
good luck!

C
Combat Chuck
Thats also a very hard reel to cast with, especially for a beginner. I use that style with big heavy weights. You didn't say what you were trying to throw so its hard to say how to help. The spool tension knob is the only adjustment on that reel. One with a brake adjustment and tension knob would be much easier to throw something light.

K
Kais
Lol, i was wondering why his Fly line would get into a birds nest. :)

K
Kevinb5688
You tube has good videos. I hated bait cast reels for a long time until i watchrd a youtube video, now its about all i use. Very easy to pick up with video instruction. And remember, ever bait that has a different weight needs to be re-dialed.
Set it all the way tight, click the bail to free spool, and slowly back the tension off until your bait falls with a slight twitch of the rod.
And if your spool starts getting loose line make a long cast and reel in to tighten your line back up on your spool.
If you do get a birdsnest start pulling your line out, if you hit a point where its stuck theres a cool little trick that always gets it out.
Tighten your drag all the way, and put you thumb on the spool as hard as you can and reel a couple winds. Should pull out after repeating this a few times.

Reactions: waco
B
bigdaddycain234
i found out what my problem was the tension gears were broken on the reel I toke it back to fishermans where I got it from and they just changed it out for a brand new one no questions asked I went out today to salish ponds just to learn how to cast with it and go a lot better I am just more used to spinners but its getting better any one some really good bass fishing areas ?

brandon4455
brandon4455
fish the columbia for smallmouth. :cool: anything that resembles crawdad or shad should do good.