Carpet fishing in Portland

R
Ritchie
I was thinking of hitting up carp fishing suggestions where to in portland?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Find a good pond that has carp - ponds will warm faster than flowing waters this early in the season - or you can try finding the shallow flats along the Columbia - shallow water will heat up quicker than deeper sections, and there might be a few fish milling about.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Brad - you gotta like carp - what other fish can you legally shoot as a method of take? (okay, when I say shoot, I mean with a bow... maybe I'll petition ODFW to allow muzzle loader or center-fire rifle hunting of carp? Or maybe a shotgun season?). Or you can get all tribal on their anal vents and spear-fish 'em.

J
john montana
There are no carp in or around Portland. Look away.

55b4cbbe.jpg

still early for any flyrod action. i'm dying for some sun.

T
Troutier Bassier
John, I got a hookup on the fly a few days ago... Not too early if you're in the right spots.

J
john montana
I've actually caught them on the fly every month of the year except Dec. But mostly in small ponds, they don't really move into the big flats until the water warms a bit. I've been tempted to take the kids out that that pond and let them catch a bunch, just distracted by the NCAA tournament of late.

i'm just eager for warmer water, when the really big fish come in prespawn. Need some sun!

F
fishgood
When I was younger my uncle took me too a place in north Portland, just down the road from the Expo center, it was a very shallow lake. Carp Everywhere, I believe it was called Smith Lake? I could be very wrong and someone on here should know for sure but that is the only place I know of.

T
Troutier Bassier
Its called like Force lake or something..

T
Troutier Bassier
OH those ones... Yeah they come in there and spawn and people catch them with large dipnets.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Smith & Bybee are open to fishing - though the waters there have gone down hill drastically in quality over the last few years - they get VERY weed choked, the water gets nasty itself - algae bloom or something. THere used to be some really good bass, crappie, and carp fishing in there (among others) - and OPB even once did an episode of Field Guide about the lakes, touting it as a great little gem of nature surrounded by industrial property - excellent for canoe trips, kayaking, and fishing.