Carp fising

D
Drew9870
I have been trying to catch carp since I was about 13, I'm 17 and I still have not caught a carp, the main places I try are Bluegill Ponds (the two ponds across the bridge from walter wirth [Yes there are two]) and walling pond. The main baits I use are corn, bread, and yesterday I made up a batch of peanut butter doughballs with cornmeal, I would like some info on how to catch the carp around here. I have seen some giant carp in the first pond at bluegill ponds. Maybe I should try fishing around the riverfront park on the Willamette? I have seen some giants around there too. Has anyone ever caught any carp out of Bluegill ponds or walling, or my uncle even says he caught a giant out of walter wirth, but I think someone put it in there.

I am not looking to travel out of salem, if I was going to, I would be at the snake river fishing for carp.

F
FishSchooler
Drew9870 said:
I have been trying to catch carp since I was about 13, I'm 17 and I still have not caught a carp, the main places I try are Bluegill Ponds (the two ponds across the bridge from walter wirth [Yes there are two]) and walling pond. The main baits I use are corn, bread, and yesterday I made up a batch of peanut butter doughballs with cornmeal, I would like some info on how to catch the carp around here. I have seen some giant carp in the first pond at bluegill ponds. Maybe I should try fishing around the riverfront park on the Willamette? I have seen some giants around there too. Has anyone ever caught any carp out of Bluegill ponds or walling, or my uncle even says he caught a giant out of walter wirth, but I think someone put it in there.

I am not looking to travel out of salem, if I was going to, I would be at the snake river fishing for carp.

Its about 45 min from you, but the tualatin river has some big carp. They are pretty hard to get since there is a ton of vegetation, which snags up your gear at least 75% of the time. Its not a guaranteed, but it is a place. The Willamette does have some carp, look for grasses in sloughs, or bays, or anything like that.. I would just use worms for bait... they are what fish eat afterall. :rolleyes:;)

T
TTFishon
Carp

I use bread for carp. I always throw some pieces in the water first to attract them. Once they are there tear off about a quarter to a third of the slice of bread and fashion it to the hook so the bread floats on top of the water. You have to be gentle when you cast it or it will fly off the hook. Then I watch and wait until a big carp comes along and sucks my bait in wait about a second and set the hook and fish on. Good luck

W
Webwader
Is this what you're after? My fishing partner snagged this monster last fall while we were bass fishing at Brownlee Reservoir. It was 35 1/2" long and we estimated it was 30 lb+. We had a heck of a time getting it into the boat with no net that came close to being big enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
TTFishon
That's a dandy webwader. My biggest was 35 inches. I let it go so it should be a bit bigger this year. They put on a heck of a fight when they are that big don't they?

W
Webwader
They put on a heck of a fight when they are that big don't they?
Especially when they are snagged and you really don't have any control of them. It didn't move very fast but just went wherever it felt like until it finally tired out a bit. After we got it in the boat and measured it, he released it so it's getting bigger too. There are a LOT of carp in Brownlee.

T
TTFishon
I've never been to Brownlee but I will keep that in mind if I ever go there.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Carp love wine

Carp love wine

TTFishon said:
I use bread for carp. I always throw some pieces in the water first to attract them. Once they are there tear off about a quarter to a third of the slice of bread and fashion it to the hook so the bread floats on top of the water. You have to be gentle when you cast it or it will fly off the hook. Then I watch and wait until a big carp comes along and sucks my bait in wait about a second and set the hook and fish on. Good luck

TTFishon;
That is a hoot! You are the only one I have ever heard that also uses bread. I learned to use it over 35 year ago down in California,north of Santa Maria. There is a big difference,though. I was taught to: remove crust;cram bread into mouth;take giant swig of cheap wine;saturate bread with wine(in mouth);wrap ball of wine soaked bread onto hook;form gooey ball;gently cast and HANG ON!!!! They put up one hell of a fight! Great fun,too. The park ranger always asked us to remove them from the water. They would remove them from the shore or there was always a family in a camper that would come grab them as fast as we hooked them. My husbands' friend got pulled off the dock and into the lake by one huge Carp...too much wine. Be safe.
Barb

W
Webwader
I was taught to: remove crust;cram bread into mouth;take giant swig of cheap wine;saturate bread with wine(in mouth);wrap ball of wine soaked bread onto hook;form gooey ball;gently cast and HANG ON!!!!
Doesn't the hook catch in your mouth when you cast? :lol::lol::lol:

T
TTFishon
Raincatcher said:
TTFishon;
That is a hoot! You are the only one I have ever heard that also uses bread. I learned to use it over 35 year ago down in California,north of Santa Maria. There is a big difference,though. I was taught to: remove crust;cram bread into mouth;take giant swig of cheap wine;saturate bread with wine(in mouth);wrap ball of wine soaked bread onto hook;form gooey ball;gently cast and HANG ON!!!! They put up one hell of a fight! Great fun,too. The park ranger always asked us to remove them from the water. They would remove them from the shore or there was always a family in a camper that would come grab them as fast as we hooked them. My husbands' friend got pulled off the dock and into the lake by one huge Carp...too much wine. Be safe.
Barb

I've used bread since I was a kid. Never heard of your technique though. I wonder if beer would work?

D
Drew9870
Snake River is probably the only place I have hooked carp, They are everywhere, I have been reading up on them and the reason you would use wine instead of beer is because they like things that taste sweet and people usually mix kool aid in with the doughballs, or just use kool aid to chum.

M
mikeredding
I have heard of the bread thing but the only person that I have known to catch carp uses nightcrawlers. He uses a big hook like a #2 and gobs 2 or 3 worms on it. I have never tried it but he seems to get some monsters.

D
Drew9870
Mike
You live in Springfield so I thought I would let you know if you go on Youtube and search for oregon carp it will come up with a video of guys bowhunting carp in the Amazon Slough in Eugene, I have seen the Amazon River :lol: that flows through Eugene which is a tiny, 4 foot wide trickle. I haven't ever heard of the Amazon Slough

M
mikeredding
Drew9870 said:
Mike
You live in Springfield so I thought I would let you know if you go on Youtube and search for oregon carp it will come up with a video of guys bowhunting carp in the Amazon Slough in Eugene, I have seen the Amazon River :lol: that flows through Eugene which is a tiny, 4 foot wide trickle. I haven't ever heard of the Amazon Slough

Yes, the Amazon starts in Eugene and drains into Fern Ridge Reservoir. It is a pretty good sized canal by the time it gets West of Eugene and I have seen some huge carp in there. In fact. the person I was talking about that catches them on worms gets them out of this same canal.

D
Drew9870
I went on google maps and looked at it, I didn't know that Fern Ridge had carp. I need to try the Amazon and Fern Ridge for sure, I have heard there are giant crappie in Fern Ridge

Troutski
Troutski
Willy at Eugene...

Willy at Eugene...

I have seen very large Carp cruising the flats on the Willy at Valley River shopping center. I came across them a few years ago and they are still lurking in the flats when the river is low, like last week. Today on the other hand the river looks like the Mississippi river.....you know chocolate milk. Where the McKenzie and Willy meet I caught a 2 footer on a glob of night crawlers. Almost a prehistoric looking fish.
If you plan a trip down my way I would be more than willing to share this spot with you.

Chuck

M
mikeredding
Drew9870 said:
I went on google maps and looked at it, I didn't know that Fern Ridge had carp. I need to try the Amazon and Fern Ridge for sure, I have heard there are giant crappie in Fern Ridge

I have heard at one time or another that they have bowfishing tournaments for carp on Fern Ridge.

S
specreck
last year on fern ridge the carp were spawning right before the bass when the water temp was around 58 degrees. They were everywhere! It was amazing to see how shallow these fish would go to get from one body of water to another.

M
mikeredding
Drew9870 said:
Mike

YouTube - Bowfishing the Amazon Slough Eugene Oregon

T
TTFishon
When I was a teenager we used to shoot them with shotguns in the Amazon Slough.