Good carp baits

brandon4455
brandon4455
so after going out on the wilamette for bass last near near buena vista me and my grandpa ventured up a tributairy and found a backwater area loaded with carp! i mean there were tons of these things!so i figured..these will be easy to catch so i tried a worm for about 15 minutes and nothing. so does anybody know of good carp baits that i can get my hands on ? because it's been a while and i think it's time for mr carp to meet my boat again.

-brandon

T
TTFishon
Bread or corn works for me.

C
ChezJfrey
Go with a hair rig. You may have to experiment with the length of the 'hair' to get a hookup.

While 'boilies' seem to be the way to go for the avid carper, I don't go through the trouble. I simply roll dough balls from a few slices of bread (as mrlindeman described), but go a couple steps further. I mix up some salt and blackberry syrup (like used in lattes) and roll the balls in that - it seems to attract the fish faster and I usually have an interested fish within a minute or two. When I thread it on the hair, I top with a couple bits of corn. I just use a very short snip of thick grass stalk to hold it.

The advantage of using something like bread over worms is that a worm will attract bluegill, catfish, etc. while only carp tend toward the bread balls.

And sometimes, though I understand it probably defeats the purpose of the rig, but if I'm missing hookups and just getting a bunch of bait stolen and changing up the hair length doesn't help, I'll even put a piece of corn or two onto the hook in addition to the bait on the hair. I don't know why, but that sometimes helps.

C
ChezJfrey
Oh, forgot to mention...

Cast out, reel in the slack and sit with the bail open (assuming a spin reel). I let the fish take the bait for a short ride, then simply grab the line very briefly and let go to embed the hook a little bit, close the bail and set it. You can also use a 'bolt rig' instead of the tug technique I use.

Good luck.

T
Troutier Bassier
Spawning carp! :) don't bite much..

T
TTFishon
Troutier Bassier said:
Spawning carp! :) don't bite much..

I thought carp spawned in late spring.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for the replies guys i really appriciate it. carp on a 5'6 rod sounds fun in my book but i'm not going out until spring lol

-brandon

T
Troutier Bassier
I think they spawn multiple times a year. Not sure though.

B
beaverfan
Ya I think I remember reading that they're capable of spawning 2 times a year.

O
OnTheFly
beaverfan said:
Ya I think I remember reading that they're capable of spawning 2 times a year.
That's disturbing if you concider the amount of eggs they carry...what was it ..something like 300,000.

P.S. I like your signature Jay.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
OnTheFly said:
That's disturbing if you concider the amount of eggs they carry...what was it ..something like 300,000.

P.S. I like your signature Jay.

haha.. Always with the negativity. Hilarious!

----

I will tell you one thing, a 15+ pound carp with a 5wt fly rod = MEGA arm pump!!!! I thought I was NEVER gonna land that ---OOPS Bastige!!

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
GraphiteZen said:
haha.. Always with the negativity. Hilarious!

I will tell you one thing, a 15+ pound carp with a 5wt fly rod = MEGA arm pump!!!! I thought I was NEVER gonna land that ---OOPS Bastige!!

----
You got me. I guess the key word in my post was the word 'disturbing' . C'mon Bo gimmie a break. I'm speaking from my heart here.:D

I agree. 15lb carp on a 5wt would without a doubt be an arm pumping experience. But so would reeling in a soaked beach towel.:lol:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
haha. Ok then. But a beach towel is much prettier than a carp don't you think? :cool:

O
OnTheFly
GraphiteZen said:
haha. Ok then. But a beach towel is much prettier than a carp don't you think? :cool:

I'm not so sure. Have you ever seen a beach towel with lips?:shock::lol: