Carp slaying on Sauvies

M
MikePierce170
Well on Monday (when the weather wasn't crap) I did a little carp fishing :). This is my first ever carp caught via a speargun. Of course this isn't conventional spearfishing but the water was only thigh deep. So taking refraction into consideration made shots difficult. But I learned quickly that you have to aim considerably lower than you think to hit your mark. Enjoy!

I F'd up on rendering this video in its full 1080 resolution. Instead it was done at 720 which accounts for the text being clipped in spots. Sorry.

Shout out to John Montana!

NOTE: Carp I shoot are used for crab bait. So don't get your panties in a bunch.

J
john montana
congrats Mike! That looks like fun...glad you stuck a few...

V
Van
"Walking my carp." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done Mike,

M
MikePierce170
See Van, it can be done :lol:

W
waco
Nice! Looks like fun!!

Reactions: OnTheFly
R
RunWithSasquatch
Awesome!

bass
bass
Even though I like granola I still enjoyed the video :) The first time you fired the spear I jumped, I knew it was coming but I still was not ready. Pretty Cool.

O
OnTheFly
For me, opening a carp thread is like a train wreck; you know it's going to be bad but you just gotta look. Glad I did this time. Looked fun! The GoPro effect made it a little more intense than a regular video. Also, the fish became an A-hole after coming loose. Perfect!:cool:

E
eggs
Awesome!

M
MikePierce170
Thanks guys. I just can't wait till water conditions improve and I can swim with them. The video footage will be a lot better.

By the way... I only pulled back ONE band to fire this thing. It had enough power to easily go through the carp. TWO bands is some insane power. Then again... this speargun is built for sea going fish ;)

Reactions: OnTheFly
G
GDBrown
Years ago I did something similar to that with a .22cal pistol only they didn't move after the first shot!
And yes you do have to aim low in order to connect with the objectionable objects.

Cool video though, I about jumped out of my chair when the first shot was released. Had the volume way too hight. :lol:

O
OnTheFly
MikePierce170;239148 By the way... I only pulled back ONE band to fire this thing. It had enough power to easily go through the carp. TWO bands is some insane power. Then again... this speargun is built for sea going fish ;)[/QUOTE said:
Replace the spear tip with something blunt then go ahead and use two bands. It'll take out more meat that way.:dance:

Last edited:
V
veilside180sx
What are you editing with Mike?

Normally when you change resolutions (most software)...will change everything to match rather than cut it off.

Secondly...buy anti-fog inserts for the Go Pro...they help a lot with keeping it from fogging up. You'll have to order them online, because no one local stocks them though.

BTW good to see your into the outdoors. =)

M
MikePierce170
OnTheFly said:
Replace the spear tip with something blunt then go ahead and use two bands. It'll take out more meat that way.:dance:

I need to buy a threaded spear first. I found an adapter for threaded spears that will allow me to use archery broadheads lol. Those things will do massive damage :D

veilside180sx said:
What are you editing with Mike? Normally when you change resolutions (most software)...will change everything to match rather than cut it off.

Secondly...buy anti-fog inserts for the Go Pro...they help a lot with keeping it from fogging up. You'll have to order them online, because no one local stocks them though.

BTW good to see your into the outdoors. =)

I was using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5. I just wasn't paying attention when I was exporting the film. The template I was using was 720p and the native resolution the video was shot in was 1080. So that's how it happened. And I do have anti-fog beads in my GoPro. I think I might not have screwed the lens on tight enough or not secured the O-ring properly. It's the first time I've ever had this problem. I'll have to do some testing next time.

And of course I'm into the outdoors. Have been my whole life. Any self respecting Oregonian should be. On my Facebook you should see me cliff jumping at Punch Bowl Falls (Eagle Creek area). I took the GoPro with me on those jumps as well haha.

V
veilside180sx
I use my Go Pro's all the time as well. (I have a pair of them) I had to install some of the anti-fog inserts in the case as well, since I'm always fishing in the rain it seems. One drop on the inside or swapping a battery in there with damp/wet hands...and it's fog city otherwise.

Might have to pick up one of those lenses though for the one I use underwater though.

M
MikePierce170
veilside180sx said:
I use my Go Pro's all the time as well. (I have a pair of them) I had to install some of the anti-fog inserts in the case as well, since I'm always fishing in the rain it seems. One drop on the inside or swapping a battery in there with damp/wet hands...and it's fog city otherwise.

Might have to pick up one of those lenses though for the one I use underwater though.

I didn't even think about that. I replaced my battery after shooting my first carp. Of course my hands were wet. Didn't even think about that. I'll have to be more careful next time.

O
OnTheFly
MikePierce170 said:
I need to buy a threaded spear first. I found an adapter for threaded spears that will allow me to use archery broadheads lol. Those things will do massive damage :D
Can't wait to see that video. Keep up the good work!lol

S
steelhead_slayer
Looks like fun. I could imagine the fight you would get spearing a monster carp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom