Carp on fly.

J
joesnuffy
I caught my first 2 carp on a fly this weekend. Used a 6# rod with no fighting butt. i really could have used one. The second carp weighed 10lbs 5oz. i don't know what the first carp was but it was about the same size. Lost a third fish moments after the hookup due to my flyline getting caught on the fishing vest and it snapped the line before i got it untangled. Awesome fighers....... especilly if you dont' mind your line backing getting used. :p
3762451220_913ba520ff.jpg

3762455932_7a37e5b56e.jpg

D
Drew9870
Nice fish. What type of fly were you using? And, by looking at the depth of the water, it looks like you weren't sight fishing, how did you work your fly, or were you sight fishing?

J
joesnuffy
We were sight fishing. the fish would swim right up to you. the first fish i hooked was only about 15 ft away when i hooked up. we woudl also spot their backs and tails sticking out of the water. the third fish i hooked up on was making a wake as it swam so i casted in front of the wake for the hook up.

i was using a San Juan Worm and the nymph that i tied fo the first "OFF Nymph Swap"

bass
bass
Great job! I have never caught a carp on a fly although I love to fish for them with my two kids (5 and 10). We usually use doughball around Mary S. Young park on the Willamette. I think that the kids would get a great thrill out of sight fishing for carp and I would love to catch one on a fly. If the spot you are fishing is really special then please ignore the following request, but I would love to know where you can sight fish for carp. I can let the kids throw doughball and I could try the fly rod. Thanks for any information.

One other question. My father-in-law is coming August 6th. His vision is not the best, but he likes to fish and flyfish. Would sight fishing for carp be too hard or are the fish fairly easy to spot.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

D
Drew9870
Sight fishing for Carp is not too easy, but it probably has to be the easiest way to catch Carp (which isn't easy). It would be pretty hard to not catch sight of one (they are a big fish, and all you really need to see is the shadow).

Joesnuffy,

What color was the San Juan? Red or Brown?

Have you ever fished with Floating Bread Crust? It is the best and most thrilling way to fish for Carp (besides the Fly Rod).

bass
bass
Back when I lived in North Carolina I was fishing a pond around dark with a floating rapala (twitch and let sit) when a big fish sucked it down. After a lot of yelling and screaming with my friend about a new state record bass it turned out to be a 19lb carp. Apparently some folks had started throwing bread out to the carp in that pond and the white belly on the rapala must have looked yummy. That summer I ended up catching a handful of carp in the same way and I had a tons of them come up and nudge the lure without taking it. That was a really fun summer!

J
joesnuffy
The San Juan Worm was red.

I'm not allowed to tell you exactly where we were fishing, i promissed. However, if you you want to target them with a fly find the shallows where they are feeding. if the water is clear(ish) it will be no problem seeing the large shape of their bodies. they also end up with their backs and tails out of the water in the shallows.

If your looking to catch a bunch of fish i don't think this is a good way to do it. WE fished for 4+ hrs with literally hundreds of carp around and I only hooked 3 landed 2. Lots of work but the payout was awesome.

bass
bass
No problem about the spot and thanks for the motivation :) I had gotten a bit lazy lately. It will be fun to do a bit of exploring with the kids to try to find some good spots.

C
chris61182
For those near Fern Ridge you could almost certainly sight fish for carp from the bridge near the kids play area in the Orchard Point park. That is until they start drawing down the reservoir.

C
Cake
Fresh water bonefish, good job.

The one fish I won't go after with my 3#

D
davem
I've seen carp sort of cruising in the shallow water along a shoreline and have wanted to try for them but didn't know how. It does sound similar to some inshore salt water fish. In any event how to you fish for them? I would think you would cast maybe 6' ahead of them with a sinking fly and a floating fly line. What type fly should be used? Any info appreciated.

F
Fish Dawgs
When i was up fly fishing on the north santiam, there were about 15 carp at least more than 5 pounds each in a hole about 20 ft deep. After about a hour of trying to hook one of them, i switched to an egg with weight hoping i could get it down far enough form them to reach and sure enough, i hooked a 6 pound carp.