Carp on Columbia slough?

J
john montana
The season is winding down now...water is cooler and the mornings and nights are just not as warm. The river is really low too, which makes the slough or anything attached a tough bet. As the water falls the carp follow it out to avoid getting stranded. I am sure you will still find them in deeper pockets, but I would look in the river itself in this low water.

Some years I can them on the fly into late October, but it might not happen this year. The water is cooling fast and last time out there were noticeably less fish around than the previous outing. Might have to bite the bullet soon and start after salmon and steelhead!

M
MikePierce170
I went out to the "pond" a couple days ago and saw tons of them John. But I got a little crazy and threw my kayak in there this time haha. I tooled all over the pond and did see that it feeds into the Columbia slough. I was able to shoot 3 with my bow. The biggest was 13.5lbs. He looked pretty nasty too. He had some sort of parasite looking things on his right gill plate and a messed up tail. It looked raw like something was eating at it (probably the water lol). I didn't grab any video unfortunately. I left the attachment I needed at home :(. Next time I'll make sure to pack it.

I
igquick
Yea can u pm me abel? My favorite spot on the slough is near kelley point...

It really does seem that the carp season is almost over

A
abel
Where 185th crosses the slough head east past the pump house.
Near the 168th and Airport Way canoe ramp there is a pond short ways west on the foot path.
There is access between 138th and 148th off Whiteaker Way.

These looked like good spots to me. A canoe or kayak would be a good way to explore further.

I
igquick
Been there...didn't really like that spot

A
abel
I parked just east of the 205 bridge in a parking area off Marine DR. today and walked along the dike above the river. There were shallow shoals along the bank and I saw one guy wading and looking for fish. A few other guys were still fishing with bait. I didn't see any carp but it looked like a good area.

M
MikePierce170
igquick: You ever try this spot? Or anyone else for that matter? http://goo.gl/maps/2OiYL Looks promising. I'm thinking about driving out there now to take a look. It's connected to the slough and not far from the "pond" I've posted about. Plus it looks like you can drive right up to that dead end there and park. I might have to throw my kayak in and get a better look ;)

T
Troutier Bassier
MikePierce170 said:
igquick: You ever try this spot? Or anyone else for that matter? http://goo.gl/maps/2OiYL Looks promising. I'm thinking about driving out there now to take a look. It's connected to the slough and not far from the "pond" I've posted about. Plus it looks like you can drive right up to that dead end there and park. I might have to throw my kayak in and get a better look ;)

Secret spot! ;) they're in there...

I
igquick
I haven't fished there....

is the "pond" a part of whitaker ponds? that place looks awesome yet kind of dirty but o well

but hey if you ever get to this new place, tell me how it is? I hope I don't get a ticket for parking at that dead end

you've fished there bassier? is it better than blue lake?

M
MikePierce170
igquick said:
I haven't fished there....

is the "pond" a part of whitaker ponds? that place looks awesome yet kind of dirty but o well

but hey if you ever get to this new place, tell me how it is? I hope I don't get a ticket for parking at that dead end

you've fished there bassier? is it better than blue lake?

Ya I was out there today. I parked at the end of the road and gave it a quick look. There's a trail that runs along the bank. It looks like decent access for a bank fisherman but I couldn't put a kayak in there. I didn't see any carp from the bank but I'm sure they're in there. And no igquick, my "pond" is not part of Whitaker Ponds. I also drove by there today and read the signs lol. You aren't allowed to fish, wade, or swim there. So going to Whitaker is pretty pointless. If you read the sign they say it's for your "safety" because of the amount of pollution in the muddy bottom. However, I saw lots of juvenile fish swimming about in that shallow water there.

I
igquick
Ic....u aint givin any directions to the "pond" any time soon r yah

J
john montana
Got 7-8 today.
b475c8c615bc4309266cb3d8e6fc2224.jpg
Fished my dad's 6 wt and it wasn't enough stick to turn em from the weeds, so I lost a bunch of fish. The water is so low that the weedbeds are right by the shallow...tough to land them in that stuff.

I
igquick
Nice fish john! I had the same problem
when the reed beds were poking out in about a foot or less of water...im suprised u were able to do it with ur 6 weight...

I finally got some polarized glasses and they r amazing! Its crazy how much u could see fish in the water...now all I need r some camo and ill be good

M
MikePierce170
Thanks for taking me with you John. There will be consequences ;)

J
john montana
It was a solo mission Mike...I took the rod my dad fished the day he died. I wouldn't have been very good company.

M
MikePierce170
john montana said:
It was a solo mission Mike...I took the rod my dad fished the day he died. I wouldn't have been very good company.

Well I suppose I can let that one slide :) Nice fish btw. So Why didn't ya get a picture of the rod he used with the carp?

I was just out with igquick at the pond. Saw them jumping all over. Tomorrow I'm gonna take the kayak out again and do some bowfishing.

J
john montana
Didn't take many pictures...good luck with the bow. I did hook a grass carp that was about 50 inches long. It destroyed me on the 6 wt.

A
abel
Nice fish. The pic looks like it was taken in full sun. Did you have targets throughout the day?

J
john montana
The numbers are certainly falling Abel. There were less fish around than there have been, and the river is so low that formerly great flats are high and dry. check out my blog for a few pictures of the flats...interesting to see them dry with a million pock marks from feeding carp still showing. there were decent numbers of fish around, but it is dying down fast. normally i fish through Sept. and into Oct. but this year feels like it is closing early. the really low water doesn't help. the fish are right on the deep edges, so the amount of "fishable" water with a fly is way down from normal levels...plus, the weedbeds are RIGHT there.

might be time to switch to Coho.

I
igquick
damn my carp fishing skills suck...gonna do some more research on new tactics....I got two bites though but that doesn't prove anything...bite alarm went off twice and saw my rod moving...he must've bolted without getting hooked...off my hair rigged liver...but I did catch some PCB's and e coli...