Carp on Columbia slough?

I
igquick
I was wondering if someone can give me directions on where I can fish for carp on the Columbia Slough? I've been driving around searching for "the place" that this guy has been telling me about, but his directions are horrible because of his old age (really mad at him at the moment, because I've wasted so much gas and the rising prices ain't helping)....I've heard there are monster carp in the slough, but can SOMEBODY PLEASE DIRECT ME TO ACTUAL DIRECTIONS!!! I've been to parts of the slough where its only a gross looking stream like 12 feet wide, but I know that's not a fishing spot...anyways, if someone can help me out, you would definitely make my day, wait, you would make my month of pissed offness....

Also, if anybody is interested in carp fishing, I can help any of yall out with tips and secrets, anyways heres my last and largest carp I caught at East Salish pond which was 26.5 lbs pictured:

I catch and release carp

Last edited by a moderator:
J
john montana
Easy access at Kelly point park. From there you can just walk the bike path and you will spot carp all over the place. I used to fish the slough a lot, and I basically just walked around carrying my flyrod (and usually my 2 year old in a backpack). There are carp all over and the high vantage point of the path lets you sight fish to them pretty easily. Good luck!

I
igquick
wow, "john montana" just replied to my thread, a little star struck because I've heard your name numerous times when it comes to oregon fishing in general...thanks for the advice man appreciate it! I was also wondering what is the biggest carp ever caught on a rod and reel in oregon? and about this slough/cove/inlet that branches off the river between the chinook landing boat ramp and blue lake

J
john montana
Infamy is not necessarily a positive! I am one of the few crazy guys living in the steelhead fly fishing Mecca of the US and fishing for carp.

Or has no official record for carp. I think the WA record is 50 some lbs. I have seen carp that were in the 40 lb class, but rarely. My biggest is just under 32 lbs:

9b9a874d.png

I have caught five fish over twenty lbs this past month, one of them was just ovr 30. Lots of big fish in OR, but the average is probably between 7-11 depending on where a guys fishes.
Anything attached to the big c will have fish. They move in and out of the sloughs seeing warmer water, food, etc.

I
igquick
wow nice 30! I really want to get a 30 one day....or a bunch of carp within an hour....also want a mirror carp, because all the ones I got are commons...where do you usually fish at?

V
vanbrunt
I fish the slough for carp very often. Kelly point is the place to start. You can basically follow the river using multiple roads all the way back to I5 and get bank access. Specifically you can park in the gravel on the immediate left when you make the turn to head towards the park. From there walk towards the water and you'll hit the walking path that heads east. This will get you the most access for still fishing. Kelly point park itself is much better if you prefer fly fishing. I had a 7 fish afternoon there just a couple weeks ago. I'll make a thread about it here sooner or later, just got to get the pics off the camera.

I
igquick
thanks! do you happen to know anywhere else more closer towards the gresham/fairview area?

G
GDBrown
Just thought you might want to know!

Just thought you might want to know!

Our next show - Cruising For Carp

On our upcoming broadcast with Paul Rose we will give away a one year membership to the Federation of Fly Fishers, a one year subscription to Fly Fusion magazine, and a $20 gift certificate for Front Range Anglers (you need to be listening to the live show to win this).

To qualify for the drawings you need to register. Use the link below to visit our registration page, complete the form, then send us your information and you'll be included in the drawing.

Paul Rose was sight fishing for tailing carp before it was "hip". He's tackled all the challenges associated with these freshwater bonefish and considers these explorations with his clients the basis for their saltwater training school. Listen in to learn about fly fishing for carp - something you can do almost anywhere in the world.

Go to his 'ASK' page using the link below and ask him a question...

Tune in, Wednesday June 6th to hear his answers...

6:00 PM Pacific
7:00 PM Mountain
8:00 PM Central
9:00 PM Eastern

To access the show using the Internet just visit our home page at the time of the show and you'll see the red link 'Listen to the LIVE Show',just click on this link to launch our media player and listen to the broadcast.

I
igquick
Thanks I'll definitely listen in for some tips...but I need to get a better fly poll also

S
steelhead_slayer
john montana said:
and I basically just walked around carrying my flyrod (and usually my 2 year old in a backpack).

Nice to hear someone else doing that.

V
vanbrunt
igquick said:
thanks! do you happen to know anywhere else more closer towards the gresham/fairview area?

Blue lake has lots of carp. So does the Columbia. So if you can find good access to softer water on the columbia and have a heavy enough rod to fight them in such a large system I'd check that out.

I
igquick
Thanks, I went to chinook landing but the current was too strong and I didn't have more weight/sinkers....but I keep reading about the slough right next to it, closer to the wingdam but farther away from the boat launch...also there is a sturgeon spot there where I've seen pics of sturgeon getting caught there (some deep water cliff) but I just want to get a carp somewhere else close...im not gonna lie im pretty broke right now so paying 5 bucks to get into blue lake doesn't seem worth it to me, and East Salish lake/pond has been giving me huge carp (not a 30 yet though), the first carp i ever caught there was 33 inches long...but i really want to try somewhere else because it takes really long just to catch one big one at salish on average 1 per 2 hours of fishing

guess I got to look for softer water..thanks for the advice!

F
fantacmet
I've not yet seen any carp taken form the slough, and hadn't anywhere else until last week. I was down under the 205 bridge, and there was a guy down there from France, and he had three of them, two between 15 and 20 pounds, and one WELL over 20. Was a good 3 foot long. I have photo's of two of them, but since he's also in them don't want to post without permission. He told me he fishes for and catches carp there a lot. I was down there today, I had one on before he dove under a rock and got me snagged. By the feel of it, he was pretty good sized. I was using bread around a hair rig hook with corn. After I ran out of bread I mushed up some cheese crackers which was giving me bites as soon as it hit the water dang near. Then afterI ran out of that I switched to straight corn, which was also giving good bites, I apparently wasn't quick enough. I'm gonna try making some boilies soon, but for now I mixed up a version of dough that the french guy was using. Cornmeal, corn starch, flour, and I added some cheese from a mac and cheese thing. I will be down there Sunday probably around 10 or 11am for a couple of hours. Sunday being September 16th, if anyone wants to join me. I just use my salmon/steelhead rig out there. 8 foot Abu Bruiser with 20 pound big game. Decent rod/reel combo at a good price after all my good gear was ripped off.

I
igquick
fantacmet said:
I've not yet seen any carp taken form the slough, and hadn't anywhere else until last week. I was down under the 205 bridge, and there was a guy down there from France, and he had three of them, two between 15 and 20 pounds, and one WELL over 20. Was a good 3 foot long. I have photo's of two of them, but since he's also in them don't want to post without permission. He told me he fishes for and catches carp there a lot. I was down there today, I had one on before he dove under a rock and got me snagged. By the feel of it, he was pretty good sized. I was using bread around a hair rig hook with corn. After I ran out of bread I mushed up some cheese crackers which was giving me bites as soon as it hit the water dang near. Then afterI ran out of that I switched to straight corn, which was also giving good bites, I apparently wasn't quick enough. I'm gonna try making some boilies soon, but for now I mixed up a version of dough that the french guy was using. Cornmeal, corn starch, flour, and I added some cheese from a mac and cheese thing. I will be down there Sunday probably around 10 or 11am for a couple of hours. Sunday being September 16th, if anyone wants to join me. I just use my salmon/steelhead rig out there. 8 foot Abu Bruiser with 20 pound big game. Decent rod/reel combo at a good price after all my good gear was ripped off.

thanks for the tips...I've gotten many small ones in that slough but have literally seen the big ones leave....

anyways, so are you guys fishin off the bank? If so, which bank and how far would you cast?

Last edited:
J
john montana
fantacmet said:

That is sniper...great guy and carp fisherman...he knows his stuff for sure.

T
Troutier Bassier
Sniper is a great carp fisherman.... heres a video of his

I
igquick
Ive been watchin his vids lol....do u guys know what kind of bait he uses? It looks like he uses a 2 inch hair rig with god knows what...maybe so.e kind of dough and dog treat lookin stuff with more dog treat lookjn bait tied on to the hooklinks...

And im assuming hes fishin off government island? How the heck do u get tuere without a boat lol

Sorry my typing is horrid I use my phone thats not made for large fingers

T
Troutier Bassier
I have no clue... but I think there is access to it off of 205 somehow... You trying to go carp fishing today or tomorrow?

I
igquick
I will go anytime but I have no clue how to get to it off 205....at first I thought fanc and sniper were fishin under the bridge on the portland side of the river at the bank, but the slough he described is thr only one I see at that government state park island under the bridge

But im down to go anytime

A
abel
I have not fly fished for Carp for many years and that was only a couple times. Now that I have the time I have been looking into it. I am interested because I like sight fishing for large fish with a fly rod and there isn't much travel time involved. As you may know, they are known as the poor man's bonefish. This past week I spent several hours exploring the Columbia Slough by car and foot. I was particularly looking for a place where I'd seen carp several years ago. After limited success finding access I used Google maps and a map found on the Columbia Slough Watershed Council website. Canoe launch sites and foot paths are shown on the map that are good access points. I was then able to find some nice looking water and the spot I had forgotten how to get to. However, perhaps it is the wrong time of year to find Carp in the slough as I did not see any. The water was low and many spots were full of an algae bloom. I was also out exploring around mid day in full sun, so maybe low light conditions are better. I also understand the Carp season is about over, but I would like to do some fishing before the weather turns and it is completely over. I may do some exploring on the Columbia next week. I have been absent from this forum for about a year and returned because I have found the most information about Carp here. I'd be happy to share specific information about the places I found on the slough if anyone is interested.