Carp in America

D
Drew9870
Carp obviously don't have the greatest reputation, in America atleast.

Most closed minds often wonder why we try to get so technical with such a fish and get into some deep research, ask yourself the same question about your favorite fish, I am sure you did some research at some point in your life just to up your catch rates. People get really deep into the subject of Steelhead, Salmon, Bass, and Crappie, what makes someone any less of a fisherman because Carp is their fish of choice, that is just like bashing on someone for being of a different religion and having different views, in the end, we are all human, fish are all fish.

Most think:
Carp being considered a pest/trash fish + Carp being a Sportfish = Someone who doesn't realize there are better fish to catch.

In reality:
If you minus the pest/trash part, and realize these fish are just a fish playing the cards they were delt, you would see these are people just pursuing another fish, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Last edited:
Reactions: beaverfan
B
beaverfan
Ya just like the sea lions down by the Willamette Falls and up by Bonneville are just playing the cards they were dealt so we should just let them decimate the Sturgeon and Spring Salmon runs right? Sometimes things get out of balance, it then becomes necessary for us as the dominant species on this planet to do what we can to try to balance things out.

Reactions: Drew9870 and bigsteel
B
Bad Tuna
beaverfan said:
Ya just like the sea lions down by the Willamette Falls and up by Bonneville are just playing the cards they were dealt so we should just let them decimate the Sturgeon and Spring Salmon runs right? Sometimes things get out of balance, it then becomes necessary for us as the dominant species on this planet to do what we can to try to balance things out.

+1000
sometimes people think they are doing something good, but in the process hurt the environment, other fisheries. IE, removing woody debris from streams, introducing bass into Davis lake and Crane Prairie, dumping waste into rivers.

Reactions: Drew9870
D
Drew9870
Jesus Ch***

Oh, lets just pop our head into the Carp section and start whining and bickering. If you have no respect for the things, then get the hell out of the Carp section.

Oh, and lets compare Carp to Sea Lions and that crap, because you know that Carp totally play a big role in low Salmon populations, because they just totally compete with them for food :lol: and eat their eggs :lol:, even though Salmon don't go looking for food where Carp exist nor do they spawn in these areas, and Carp just love munching down on adult Salmon and Smolts.

GET THE HELL OUT OF THE CARP SECTION, WHY DON'T YOU GO TO THE BASS SECTION AND START WHINING ABOUT THEM BEING INVASIVE AND EATING SMOLTS, PEOPLE FIND SPORTING QUALITIES IN BASS, WHY NOT GO SHOOT THEM DOWN.

Nothing is going to balance anything out, especially not popping your head into the Carp section knowing you have no interest.

In fact, why even bother telling me the same thing over and over when I talk about Carp and try to explain to others they can find sporting qualities in these fish, I am not telling people Carp are a benefit to our waters, which is what you obviously got from my post.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
This thread was intended to explain these fish are a sport fish to some people, when I said Carp in America, I didn't mean come add some info on this topic regarding what you think about Carp in America.

Have some respect, atleast I'm not abusing the forum by trying to sell stuff on the reports section, I try to post informative stuff, but I am just a kid who doesn't know crap yet right? No kid in this world can have more knowledge than any adult, and all kids are just a bunch of cocky punks talking out their a** huh? I guess I am the horse beater for posting 'false info' that gets shot down because no one knows ALL THE FACTS, just the ones they read in American Literature, again, not saying Carp are a benefit.

I read among the subject of Carp for sport purposes, all others go out and research every little bad side of them. Anything you say, I have probably read similar, so no need to explain to me what Carp do and don't do, you're wearing out your keyboard doing so.

Take this how you want it, but no ones flipping out or anything.

C
capblack
Drew, i dont think anyone is arguing that you have a ton of knowledge on the species, if they are, they have been reading your posts with there eyes closed. part of me wonders why everyone gets on your threads and starts s, and part of me wonders if the way you word your threads is kind of defensive to start with and they go off. either way, keep up the good work on your research of these fish. im not a carp guy, but if it makes you happy, thats what matters. just start letting some of this stuff go in one ear, and out the other. Brian

D
Drew9870
Letting it go in one ear and out the other has been practiced, but when people come onto a thread that involves a species they hate being explained as a sport fish so others can maybe take up Carp fishing, they comment trying to explain others that these fish have no benefits whatsoever, that is pretty low, and I'll stoop down to that level and defend myself, me posting about Carp being a sportfish is an opinion, no need to explain facts that have nothing to do with why they cannot be a sportfish.

B
Bad Tuna
Personally I come to the carp board because I enjoy killing them. Bowfishing, snagging, whatever it takes. Is what I do a sport? No, but it's helping water quality and native fish, and plants. FYI, I'm not a fan of bass either, I kill every bass that I legally can in waters where salmon, trout and steelhead reside. I also enjoy eating bass. Just because others use a resource differently, doesn't mean they are any less entitled to use it, provided they are legal. Fwiw carp make good crab and halibut bait.

T
Throbbit _Shane
O
OnTheFly
Drew, Drew, Drew. You must be off your prozac again. I thought all this was settled and everyone was happy. Everytime I see a new carp thread with your name by it, it's like a train wreck; you know it's going to be bad but ya just gotta look. Now you're telling me and others, who you have indirectly implied to be anti carp, to stay off your precious carp section. Who do you think was the one who inspired the carp section in the first place? Not that I'm patting myself on the back for it, but I truely feel the forum should have one. You can thank me later.:lol:

D
Drew9870
Bad Tuna said:
Personally I come to the carp board because I enjoy killing them. Bowfishing, snagging, whatever it takes. Is what I do a sport? No, but it's helping water quality and native fish, and plants. FYI, I'm not a fan of bass either, I kill every bass that I legally can in waters where salmon, trout and steelhead reside. I also enjoy eating bass. Just because others use a resource differently, doesn't mean they are any less entitled to use it, provided they are legal. Fwiw carp make good crab and halibut bait.

Anything makes good Crab bait, just depends where you toss your trap. Bowfishing is not fishing, it is stick flicking, if you want to kill something get a gun, no need to pursue your catch when you can drop it on the spot.

Killing species might give you pleasure, but reality is, you are creating more room for larger Bass/Carp, notice how when you let a species get out of control there are many small, stunted ones, but when you start removing a species, you are leaving more food source for the other ones and their offspring, allowing for another healthy batch of fish. To make a difference, you and the army would have to take it to the commercial level for a couple decades, but go ahead and do what gives you pleasure, if killing for the fun of it is your style, have at it. Remember, a 4kg (8.8lb) Carp can lay upwards of 1 million eggs, a lot of these eggs will not survive fungal/bacterial infection, but one Carp will replenish every Carp you will/can kill in your entire life, and then some. You are beating a dead Carp everytime you kill one, and you only make yourself look bad when your on the bank tossing Bass.

It does nothing for native fish, the ONLY native fish Carp are in direct competition with are Squaws and Suckers and possibly Sturgeon, although Sturgeon seem more Carnivorous, the John Day might be one example of where Carp shouldn't be, but explain to me how a Carp in the Willamette affect NATIVE fish that you are so worried about, CAN'T be stirring up silt, the Willamette is a pretty silty river, no way in hell you are going to tell me Carp eat Salmon eggs, SALMON DON'T SPAWN IN THE WILLY, atleast not on a regular basis, Carp don't latch on to Salmon like a Lamprey nor eat Smolts.

Some people just like to make up facts just to have more reason, I laugh at those who believe the whole egg-eater thing, yet you don't see them bickering about Largescale Suckers affecting Salmon/Steel populations, and they sure as snot live in the very places that your beloved Salmon/Steelhead spawn. I release Suckers as well, they clean up algae.

For every sentence you have stating opinion, I have a paragraph stating fact.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
OnTheFly said:
Drew, Drew, Drew. You must be off your prozac again. I thought all this was settled and everyone was happy. Everytime I see a new carp thread with your name by it, it's like a train wreck; you know it's going to be bad but ya just gotta look. Now you're telling me and others, who you have indirectly implied to be anti carp, to stay off your precious carp section. Who do you think was the one who inspired the carp section in the first place? Not that I'm patting myself on the back for it, but I truely feel the forum should have one. You can thank me later.:lol:

Hey, atleast you don't make your best attempt to shoot down what people enjoy or look for any negative fact, you are a great person to see pop into a Carp thread, whether it's for a laugh or a congrats.

B
Bad Tuna
And every adult spawner I kill prevents millions of eggs from ever being laid. Carp are not so populated that they are stunted. Willamette carp swim up tribs. There are carp in the little north santiam, but most native winters spawn from Mehama to Jefferson. Carp killing plants and warming up headwaters, think yamhill or marys river. That is detrimental to salmon. Were talking about carp, not a family member, Maybe you need a little perspective??? I don't think there is any need to get upset or defensive for or against carp. It's just a conversation.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
I still haven't been saying Carp benefit anything, I'd have to see evidence of Carp in the Santiam, the Smallmouth, Suckers, and Squaws would be more to worry about, I know they exist around Jefferson.

Carp warming up water? I believe snow melt and weather will have the greatest impact.

Obviously 95% of the waters that Carp exist in, they have little/no impact on native fish, Bass, Squaws, and Suckers together could fry a fishery, one eats fish, the other will eat fish/eggs, and the other will eat eggs.

Just a conversation? Explaining that something can be pursued for sport, quickly got switched around to 'what destruction the species causes.'

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
Right when things were dying down :rolleyes:

D
Drew9870
Hey now, :D, if someone jumped on one of your stickied threads providing Bass info and started a whole post on the subject of Bass eating their beloved Bluegill or Smolts and how destructive they are when they build a spawning nest, and/or dig in the mud for Crawdads, and/or come in like a log. You would stand up for the Bass, if they come in like a log, why would people have tons of research and money put into the things, Kevin Vandam used to be one of my role models (kinda, lol), I did a report on him in the 5th grade, that guy can spit about 12 words a second, and if you can keep up, every single word comes from personal experience and research, if I could fish with any well known Pro Bass fisherman (Besides Colby in Oregon, :cool:), it would be Kevin.

The point is, why just Carp? Just because those (I was too) were born and raised around hearing Carp are Crap, and only took on that side, doesn't mean you have to come on here and explain what I know just so you can make a point to explain to others why they should not agree Carp are a sport fish, it's like it is totally wrong to say they should be sought after and released just because regulations allow to do otherwise.... That's about as good as it might get from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
Drew9870 said:
Carp obviously don't have the greatest reputation, in America atleast.

Most closed minds often wonder why we try to get so technical with such a fish and get into some deep research, ask yourself the same question about your favorite fish, I am sure you did some research at some point in your life just to up your catch rates. People get really deep into the subject of Steelhead, Salmon, Bass, and Crappie, what makes someone any less of a fisherman because Carp is their fish of choice, that is just like bashing on someone for being of a different religion and having different views, in the end, we are all human, fish are all fish.

Most think:
Carp being considered a pest/trash fish + Carp being a Sportfish = Someone who doesn't realize there are better fish to catch.

In reality:
If you minus the pest/trash part, and realize these fish are just a fish playing the cards they were delt, you would see these are people just pursuing another fish, one mans trash is another mans treasure.
Why even start this pointless thread if you don't want to get flamed for your carp crush??

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheFly
D
Drew9870
When I say people who poke their head into the Carp section for no good reason at all, you are one. You could never open your mind to see why people accept these as sport fish, and obviously have no good reason in the Carp section because you obviously never have anything good to say about them AT ALL.

So why was your pointless post even posted if you have never once had anything good/respectful to contribute to a Carp related thread?????????? Could you just not resist sitting out? Or were you hoping to see a pic?

E
eggs
I never once dug into you personally about you enjoying fishing, I even said in a thread a way back that I respect anyones passion for fish.

Calling me closed minded because I don't open up and start carp fishing ********. I have opinion, I listened to yours and like mine better.. how the **** do you know if I read your posts as information or did additional research in general.. not just negative..

You ****ing begged me to come into this thread by making it and titled as such. I didn't come into YOUR carp forum, it showed up under new posts and peeked in to see what it was about..

Eat **** buddy, you don't know me well enough to take shots at me.. the ones that do know me, know how I think and know I am one of the most open minded people..

Carp suck

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew9870
D
Drew9870
:lol: It's just so hilarious I can't even take you seriously, especially when you say, ''Carp suck" :lol::lol::lol: I could've said every word you were going to say for you just from what you have said in the past, I know that about you well enough....

If you were close minded, you wouldn't be catching Steelies, you just can't open your mind to see why we accept Carp as sport fish it seems.

:lol:

Don't get all negative nancy now Mr. Most Open Minded.

Sorry, but when you make such low blows buddy, your opinions become nonsense, obviously your ways mean nothing to me. ''I am one of the most open minded people'' HAHA.

eggs said:
I never once dug into you personally about you enjoying fishing, I even said in a thread a way back that I respect anyones passion for fish.

Calling me closed minded because I don't open up and start carp fishing ********. I have opinion, I listened to yours and like mine better.. how the **** do you know if I read your posts as information or did additional research in general.. not just negative..

You ****ing begged me to come into this thread by making it and titled as such. I didn't come into YOUR carp forum, it showed up under new posts and peeked in to see what it was about..

Eat **** buddy, you don't know me well enough to take shots at me.. the ones that do know me, know how I think and know I am one of the most open minded people..

Carp suck

I had to quote just in case you changed anything. lol.

Last edited: