Carp help

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
So yesterday I was swimming in the Luckiamute river with some friends. When we were done swimming we walked to the bridge near the South Luckiamute park and when we were looking at the water I noticed a group of about 6-8 large carp swimming around in the shallows. All I want to know is how to catch one or point me in the right direction. I will probably use my steelhead rod since its got 10 pound line and the fish didn't look to be over 10 pounds. One of my friends says corn works good for carp but I'd like someone else's opinion.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Corn and or White Bread. Little to no weight. Good luck!

C_Run
C_Run
You must be tough to swim in that. I paddled it a month ago and then again today. It went from clear to green in a month. There also are monster carp in the pond if you know where I'm talking about. It was mentioned here in an old thread.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
You don't need 10 lb line to catch 10 lb carp - you can use your trout rod and really have some fun with those fish. Use sharp hooks. Bread, corn, or dough baits are where it's at. Double chk the regs though, to make sure you can use bait in that stream.

My favorite carp rigs for average (5-10lb fish) are a long light spinning rod (or a fly rod with spin reel mounted) and 4 or 6lb test line. I use a single #6 or #4 octopus style hook (gamakatsu or owner) and either leave it at that, or I peg a large corkie 1 and 1/2 times the water depth above it with a tooth pick to use as a strike indicator. I usually use bread for carp bait, whole wheat or multigrain if it's cheap. I tear off chunks, and press the bread around the hook into a firm ball or pyramid shape - this provides enough casting weight for a 25-30 foot cast. If you use the strike indicator - look for it to bobble then just start swimming off.

My best carp was a 20lber on 4lb line. That was a strain on the tackle for sure - took me about half an hour to land it. Your average 5-10lb fish can be brought to hand in 10 minutes or less.

troutdude
troutdude
In my semi-ill spend youth, I used to do quite well with just a worm OFF the bottom (in the Long Tom)...with a trout/smallie rod.