Carp 2020 show OFF

imHOOKED
imHOOKED
Got out fishing last weekend on the Willamette River since waters benn on the high side . Caught my p.b for Carp .

23B571E0-54BD-4B48-A2C5-AD259F24F732.jpeg

Reactions: Fred and Admin
Admin
Admin
Fatty. Congratulations!

Reactions: imHOOKED
G
Gulfstream
Nice! What do you do with them?

bass
bass
Nice fish! Looks kind of snub-nosed but that may be the angle.

S
Spoonplugger1
They are originally from Britain and Eurasia, it's called course fishing there. Used to get some out of the Great Lakes to 60 pounds. They were brought to the east coast as a food fish the first time they over fished the country over there, and they spread out, think the Erie Canal brought carp to the Great Lakes.

imHOOKED
imHOOKED
Thanks everyone it Put up a good fight

Leopard Shark
Leopard Shark
Hey all, new to this forum but some of you might know me from another local forum "NWFI" as Chinook Winterwolf but anyways I love carp fishing so I thought I would come over and hang out with y'all this year and share Oregon carp stories. I fish U.K. style with either bank stix or a rod pod with bite alarms. The rod is a 12 foot Sonik Black carp rod from the U.K. with a 3lb curve and the reel is an Okuma Trio 65 Baitrunner. Anyways my bud Ray and I did a little carping last weekend, nothing huge but still got in to some fish. Conditions are still cold and challenging regarding carp but they are trying to do their thing. I just have not been able to locate the big fish as of yet.

carp1.jpg

carp2.jpg

carp3.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo, newfydog, NKlamerus and 3 others
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Welcome!

What part of Oregon are you located?

I did quite a bit of carp fishing for grass carp in Florida, golf course fish can easily hit 30"+, it's a great time I don't understand why they aren't more popular!

We could also bowfish for them in state waters

Do you have a preference on bait? Corn, bread, worms, premix, etc??

N
newfydog
Thanks for posting. A few years ago we brought a "Le Carp" magazine back from France for a fly fishing guide as a joke. Now we're all learning to appreciate those fish over here.. Hope you can share some of your knowledge with us

Leopard Shark
Leopard Shark
NKlamerus said:
Welcome!

What part of Oregon are you located?

I did quite a bit of carp fishing for grass carp in Florida, golf course fish can easily hit 30"+, it's a great time I don't understand why they aren't more popular!

We could also bowfish for them in state waters

Do you have a preference on bait? Corn, bread, worms, premix, etc??

I am in Portland. I tend to use corn a lot still but occasionally I use boilies when there are big fish around. I have also been known to use bread, balled up on a hair rig using a tiny gold power bait treble hook to hold the bread ball. Its funny because carp seem to be either very into the bread ball or not at all... Corn though is always a good standard and cost effective. I use a small oatmeal based packbait to get the fish circling the bait. I keep a yearly photo journal of my catches on my forum. I would post a link but I do not wish to be disrespectful to Anatoliy as I know he has been at this forum business as long as I have ?

newfydog, lol.. I appreciate your comment. I have fished for carp since I was 14 years old. If only I had known then what I know now.. The rest of the world had this dialed in decades ago both in tech and in mentality. There is nothing funner than watching that bite alarm fly off the hook. I fell in love with U.K. style carping about 5 years ago and now I simply can not stop! It is gaining ground fast in the U.S.A., there are even stores now that focus on just that. It is a true addiction for which the only cure is to give in ?

Reactions: Admin
bass
bass
@Leopard Shark , glad to see you enjoying carp fishing. I don't carp fish much, but it is always fun when I do go. Carp fishing was really popular where I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA. There were several lakes that had carp contests (that was more than 50 years ago). I entered occasionally but my brother was obsessed with them. I never won one but he did a few times. I love seeing carp fishing reports so keep them coming!

Reactions: Leopard Shark
Leopard Shark
Leopard Shark
bass, I'll do my best, nice yak in your profile pic as well ?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Here's an odd question, do you have any techniques for keeping that ducks away from your bait?

I can't up on a school of 6 or 7 carp today and threw some balled bread at them, little interest but the birds were immediately all over me

Leopard Shark
Leopard Shark
LoL yea that can really be an issue, more so in areas where people feed ducks bread.. I would just avoid using bread at all in those areas and use corn or boilies or something, since chumming is not legal in Oregon I would learn to use pack bait or maybe even with PV bags that dissolve after a minute in water.