Carp Boilies for those that want to try

M
mrlindeman
Carp nutrition is key when making boilies. You dont want to give them a bunch of mushed up stuff from anywhere. From what I have read if the bait has too much protien it can slow digestion, causing future liver problems and also slow the feeding down due to the lethargic behaivior that ensues from feeding. Look to next post by drew. Mine is pprob not very healthy for them

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
You do not want enzyme actve Soya Flour, it is really bitter, and Carp absolutely hate bitter, you want Full Fat Soya Flour from the health shop that doesn't have an extremely harsh taste like the stuff you find in the Winco bulk bins which is green. Soybean Meal ground up finely would be just as good, it is actually one of the main ingredients in most fish foods (Aquaria).

That recipe is pretty much junk food as well, and can also clog up their digestive system, so only use it as a hookbait, it would mainly be a winter bait. In the summer, you can bump your proteins levels as high as 60% (probably even higher).

The healthy recipes that will actually attract Carp in unpressured waters are the ones you find with ingredients you have never even heard of or you have no idea where to find them, they should basically be vitamin/mineral/protein/amino acid supplements that will benefit a Carps health, and should have more than 9-10 actual healthy ingredients (not Flours/Binders), some boilies can be consumed by humans because of the healthy ingredients used.

That guy from that website must live next to a pond that has been over populated with Carp if he can rely on his boilies every session. He doesn't really know much about what he's talking about.

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
Thats exactly why I posted. It seems there are a lot of bad info sites out there. This would be strictly a hook bait too though. The thing is I have never found a resorce that actually explaines the good ingrediants you mention. I have found that 90 percent of the boilies out there are made from these basic ingrediants. So where can one find the true good information? Also if you have a good recepi could you post it? Mine is just from what I could find on the web. I really want to start on the right foot. I have been experimenting and so far nothing I have made seems to fit the criteria of a boilie that is not harmfull to fish with

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
Thats because all of those recipes you come across are from people here in the US, which are usually just the people that could care less about the health of a fish as long as they get it on the bank.

Heres a quality UK recipe

200g MEAT MEAL
150g POULTRY MEAL
100g Pre-digested fishmeal
50g WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE
50g CALCIUM CASEINATE
50g 90 RENNET CASEIN
100g CLO
50g egg albumen
25g ROBIN RED
90g BLOOD POWDER
25g GREEN LIPPED MUSSEL EXTRACT
50g LIVER POWDER
10g CYPRIVIT
25g KELP MEAL
25g FINE OYSTER SHELL
Soluble fish protein

Few more

BIRDYMIX
WEIGHT IN GRAMS/ %/ INGREDIENT

300g /20.0% /YELLOW EGGCAKE
130g /8.7%/ RED EGGCAKE
60g /4.0%/ NECTAR BLEND
75g /5.0%/ ROBIN RED
75g /5.0%/ HEMP SEED MEAL
80g /5.3%/ COCKETEIL REARING FOOD
150g /10.0%/ WHEAT GLUTEN
300g /20.0%/ DAIRY COMPLEX
120g /8.0%/ EGG WHITE POWDER
30g /2.0%/ WHEAT GERM
150g /10.0%/ SEMOLINA
30g /2.0%/ CORN FLOUR

TOTAL /1500g/ 100.0%/

FISHMIX
WEIGHT IN GRAMS/ PERCENT/ INGREDIENT
525g/ 35.0%/ FISH MEAL
405g /27.0%/ DAIRY COMPLEX
210g /14.0%/ SEMOLINA
80g /5.3%/ HIGGANS YELLOW BIRD BISQUIT
50g /3.3%/ ROBIN RED
75g /5.0%/ WHEAT GERM { RAW }
155g /10.3%/ CORN FLOUR

TOTAL /1500g /100.0%/

SWEET BASE MIX
WEIGHT IN GRAMS/ %
600g /40.0%/ graham cracker crumbs
75g /5.0%/ higgans yellow bird bisquit
75g /5.0%/ hemp meal
75g /5.0%/ robin red
30g /2.0%/ canary/finch seed milled
75g /5.0%/ wheat germ
75g /5.0%/ egg white powder
375g /25.0%/ dairy complex
30g /2.0%/ corn meal
75g /5.0%/ corn flour
15g /1.0%/ semolina

TOTAL /1500g/ 100.0%

Think of Fish Flakes, they have a billion different ingredients, that is not only for nutrition, but some ingredients make digestion easier when combined with other certain ingredients, and some of the Vitamins/Minerals/Proteins can only be utilized in combination with certain Amino Acids.

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
you right those are different. How in the word do i get these kinds of ingredients? Wow. Thanks lots Drew. Should I just hold off on making them until I can make them accordingly? I dont want to waste my time or money on rubbish when I can get healthy carp stuff and do it right ya know. :)

D
Drew9870
You can order Base Mixes from BCT, Solar is a top quality name in Carp fishing, I would try the Solar Carp Food in Club Mix, just add eggs and you have good quality Boilies, I would steam them though since you will lose a good majority of the flavor and scent that would have otherwise dissolved into the Lake/River water rather than the water poured down the drain.

If I had the choice, I would probably quit making Boilies and order Dynamite's 'The Source' Freezer Boilies from BCT.

M
mrlindeman
Well man I think these 2 resorces are great. I would love to be able to get a good premix base and still have the fun of rolling the boilies too :) Sounds like this may be the route I go ya know :) So why dont you order the dynamite ones? I could allways get some and share ya know :) I think you have taught me a lot.

I think this thread pretty much covers anything someone could need to know for bait now.
Lets talk hair rigs. I have heard of the hair being as long as 3 inches. Is this anything you have tryed> Anyone want to chime in on this one? The rig we used that I got my first carp on was pretty short if I remember correctly :)

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
mrlindeman said:
Lets talk hair rigs. I have heard of the hair being as long as 3 inches. Is this anything you have tryed> Anyone want to chime in on this one? The rig we used that I got my first carp on was pretty short if I remember correctly :)

Great, now I don't have to hijack :)

I've been meaning to post some of my recent trials and see what the thoughts were.

Fishing a nearby pond, through a bit of trial and error, have been most successful with a size 4 Vision hook and a leader of either 10 lb. braid or 6 lb. mono. I set the hair length so that my attached bait is somewhere around 1/4" from the outermost bend in the hook if pulled straight/parallel to the hook shank. For the mono, I also make sure that when I pull the line back through a bent eye, I send it through on the side that will keep the hook aligned with the line if pulled taut. The carp are 21"-30".

Now, for the same sized carp in a fairly slow-moving river (Tualatin), I couldn't hook hardly anything this way. Through a bit of experimentation, I started hooking the fish when I bumped up the hook size to 2 and used a mono leader. That same size 2 hook with the 10 lb. braid had the same problems...wouldn't catch the lip for some reason.

I find this strange...why for the same size fish would this kind of thing happen? The only variable that seems to have changed was the addition of a slight current.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
Bigger Baits - Shorter Hair - Bigger Hook, Smaller Baits/Particles - Longer Hair - Smaller Hook.

For Boilies 16mm and over (that's almost exactly the size of a marble), you dont need a long hair.

18-22mm is a perfect, all around Boilie.

10lb Braid is pretty light, it is what I started with, but now I only use 50lb Tuffline as leader, Tuffline has good properties for an effective Hair Rig, PowerPro and SpiderWire suck big time for leader, and can ruin your presentation as your line will sit visibly off the bottom.

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
Thats a good question. The only thing I could imagine is the slight current had something to do with a different feeding habbit the carp might have had. Maybe only testing your bait and blowing it back out before letting it get to far back.

M
mrlindeman
Drew9870 said:
Bigger Baits - Shorter Hair - Bigger Hook, Smaller Baits/Particles - Longer Hair - Smaller Hook.

For Boilies 16mm and over (that's almost exactly the size of a marble), you dont need a long hair.

18-22mm is a perfect, all around Boilie.

10lb Braid is pretty light, it is what I started with, but now I only use 50lb Tuffline as leader, Tuffline has good properties for an effective Hair Rig, PowerPro and SpiderWire suck big time for leader, and can ruin your presentation as your line will sit visibly off the bottom.

That makes sense. With 50 lb Tuffline you can have the confidense in the rig as well.