Cape Lookout SP

F
FishSchooler
What is there there? Going camping on memorial day. I will take any fish that wont break or abuse a 15-50 air im7 with 17 lb sufix siege. The reel should be fine (its a amb 6500). Havent been there... I also could use some clam and crab. :)

O
Oregonchris
I know this doesn't answer any questions-but if you go for a drive down to Pacific Ciy have lunch at the Sportsman...pretty good chow.

P
plunkme
there are surf perch there, ive caught a few but you have to be on the move to find them, if you have kids ive also found good bait on the beach itself right after low tide when the tide starts going up if you search in the sand you can find little shrimp about an inch or two long they make excellent bait and kept my friends busy while i was catching surf perch, the shrimps are better than sandshrimp because they have a harder shell and dont fall off when you cast but they do blend in with the sand a nice fine net will help you catch them easily too they usually swim around at the edge of each wave

F
FishSchooler
*bump*...

I am going there soon-memorial weekend.

I just bought some 3/0 jig heads, are they big enough for lings? I also got some 1 oz spin weighs with a wide/chartruese/glowy curl tail jigs, I guess 5 or 6 inches fully stretched and I plan to put some shrimp scent on it. Whats a good surf/jetty rig?

M
madoc
I'm heading to Cape Lookout on Tuesday, gonna stay in a yurt - tail end of the negative tide around the full moon - I'm going to be digging for clams and going for crabs - assuming I have time to try fishing, I'll probably aim for some surf perch.

I'm going to be gunning for sandshrimp while in Netarts, and using those and maybe some unlucky mole crabs if I get around to fishing off the beach.

My primary rig for this trip is going to be my 10" surfking, with 30lb braid mainline and probably 15lb mono leader, 2/0 hooks and 4-6oz of weight off the beach. I might also try the jetty in Netarts.

F
FishSchooler
madoc said:
I'm heading to Cape Lookout on Tuesday, gonna stay in a yurt - tail end of the negative tide around the full moon - I'm going to be digging for clams and going for crabs - assuming I have time to try fishing, I'll probably aim for some surf perch.

I'm going to be gunning for sandshrimp while in Netarts, and using those and maybe some unlucky mole crabs if I get around to fishing off the beach.

My primary rig for this trip is going to be my 10" surfking, with 30lb braid mainline and probably 15lb mono leader, 2/0 hooks and 4-6oz of weight off the beach. I might also try the jetty in Netarts.

2/0 for surf perch?

M
madoc
FishSchooler said:
2/0 for surf perch?

Actually, I'll probably go with 2s or 4s. I've never gone after surf perch - heck, the last successful fishing experience I've had in the ocean was 20 years ago on a deep sea boat in Hawaii.

I just tend to carry a battery of 4/0s, 2/0s, 1/0s, 1, 2, and 4s - I learned how to tie an egg loop and now I can't stop.:lol:

Cheers,
Madoc

O
Oregonchris
FishSchooler said:
Whats a good surf/jetty rig?

I know this is from another forum but it shows really good information...just remember some of them fish for strpers so the hooks are rather large. You will see every thing from a 5' leader to a 5" leader...you just keep experimeting for the water/conditions you are fishing. Also I think most people in Oregon run at least 2 and sometimes maybe 3 hooks....I like 2 hooks because it is a lot easier to deal with.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Woo I know I wont be using 8/0 and 9/0s! I think I'll just be jigging my way right above the bottom.

O
Oregonchris
ya hook size and lead can be whatever size you want....anyway...the idea is to rig it so the fish can take the bait without feeling the lead. Are you going in a boat or throwing the jig from the beach?

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Im gonna be on the jetty thing or right on the sandy beach. Lings I guess from the jetty/cape and perch from the beach.

Whats that fish on top of the crab? Thats a perch?

O
Oregonchris
ya ...it is a called a striped perch.

F
FishSchooler
Do you know where the closest good dock/bank crabbing and clamming are?

O
Oregonchris
Not much dock crabbing...people crab off of the bank a lot....anywhere South of the public boat launch is where I see them.

For clamming click this link and scroll to the bottom..

M
madoc
FishSchooler said:
Do you know where the closest good dock/bank crabbing and clamming are?

Anywhere in Netarts bay is good clamming. If you get there at a negative tide, there is a huge amount of land that you can walk out onto. There is a section south of Whiskey Creek that is a shellfish preserve, but I believe it is clearly marked.

You can dig every clam type but razors in Netarts - my last trip out we were targeting gapers, but we got some cockles, butter and softshells. there are also mahogany clams in the bay - the soft shells and mahoganies will be in the area of the bay closer in the more brackish water. The all of the bay clams are further out, although I have found cockles less than ten yards from the road. Really all you need is a low tide, a bag, and a light shovel.

I plan on using a crabhawk and a crab snare this time out - no boat to bother with. I will probably do the crabbing from the jetty north of the boat launch in Netarts.

I'll probably be doing the surf fishing later at night, as the evening low tide is after 10pm.

F
FishSchooler
I didn't realize that that bay thing was netarts!

O
Oregonchris
FishSchooler said:
I didn't realize that that bay thing was netarts!

Did that PDF file wwork for you alright?

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Yep and thanks! I was hoping for a fishing hole right next to the park though, like near the campsites, but 2 miles isn't bad.

O
Oregonchris
you can always try surf casting out in from of the campground too!

F
FishSchooler
Oregonchris said:
you can always try surf casting out in from of the campground too!

Will do when there is nothin else to do, like waiting for everyone else to get up when its already 9 am. :rolleyes::lol: