Can't get a coho yet!!!

W
waco
I have been hitting the river the last 4 days and i have been getting 5 hook ups but for some reason can't land those fish and my leader always broke off!!! im using 8 # flourocarbon from the brand Seaguar!!! what should be using???

G
GDBrown
waco said:
I have been hitting the river the last 4 days and i have been getting 5 hook ups but for some reason can't land those fish and my leader always broke off!!! im using 8 # flourocarbon from the brand Seaguar!!! what should be using???

Where is it breaking? If it is by the knot then you may only need to use a different knot.

GD

V
VagrantAngler
Flouro doesn't have the abrasion resistance that plain ol Mono does. Could be you're hookin in to fish that are dragging you on the bottom. The great thing about fluorocarbon though is you can really step up your leaders oh test without worrying about making the fish line shy. Try stepping up to 10-12lb flouro.
I've been using 12lb Pline all season and have only lost a couple due to line abrasion/breakage

kirkster
kirkster
In my opinion flouro is a bib waste of money. I run 8# maxima leader. And about two weeks ago I broke down and bought some 10# flouro and its the first fish I lost in several years. Due to leadr break.I used a couple more of the leaders I had pre tied with the flouro and when I snagged just one quick pop of the rod snapped the leader. Went back to the 8# and no problem since. The flouro I had left went in the first trash can I came to. The crap is way over rated.

troutdude
troutdude
I cast my vote for mono, along w/ Kirk and Vagrant. Ditch the flouro.

M
metalfisher76
I told ya bud. It`s all about Maxima UG 8-12lb depending on what yer catchin. Coho only need 8, as long as it`s maxima:cool:

N
nwkiller
i too rock the mono maxima, holds up strong even running in the ocean rubbing shoulders with sharp barnicles

A
alseaalumaweld
its floro why not use 15 its still clear under water

Y
youngbuck307
ill say it also i run 8lb max on my coho and have no problem landing them.... I think floro is just extra money that dont need to be spent.... i would rather have my 8lb max ug over 12lb floro.... just can't take the rocks like normal mono one lil rub and ur done.....

N
nwkiller
yo young buck did you get your quote from brother ali, if so that song kicks ass

S
SALTYFISH
1 more vote for mono floro sucks!!

B
bigdog
Mono Mono Mono

G
GDBrown
Slow down to make it stronger.

Slow down to make it stronger.

I had trouble with flouro leaders as well until I found the right places to use it and learned to tie the knots slower. That is part of the trick, when you draw the knot tight do it with lots of saliva and slowly draw it tight. I now only use it while nymphing or on lakes dragging woolly buggers. I feel like my nymphs and buggers are more natural looking and drift more natural since the line has no buoyancy.

Just another 2 scents worth,

GD

M
metalmania
Pure flouro sucks, but I have been pretty impressed with the pline flouroclear in 12lb. I've used it for almost 2 years on winter steelies and have yet to break one off. But like what everyone else says, mono is best for coho.

M
meluvtrout
waco said:

Seaguar 8lb sucks big time. Try Pline in larger diameter (12lb) or if you are drifting at Eagle Creek, which I believe you are, stick with Maxima UG. I keep going back to that every time!

B
beaverfan
meluvtrout said:
Seaguar 8lb sucks big time. Try Pline in larger diameter (12lb) or if you are drifting at Eagle Creek, which I believe you are, stick with Maxima UG. I keep going back to that every time!

I second that, Maxima UG is all you need.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
kirkster said:
In my opinion flouro is a bib waste of money. I run 8# maxima leader. And about two weeks ago I broke down and bought some 10# flouro and its the first fish I lost in several years. Due to leadr break.I used a couple more of the leaders I had pre tied with the flouro and when I snagged just one quick pop of the rod snapped the leader. Went back to the 8# and no problem since. The flouro I had left went in the first trash can I came to. The crap is way over rated.

floro carb sucks . i dont know what the rage is . some people swear by it , everyone i know thinks it sucks . go back to mono for leader . i use 10-12# for coho and steelhead and seem to get fish just fine .

W
waco
and what do you use for your main line?? im using pline 12# smoke silver. what you think?

M
metalfisher76
12lb MAX UG

B
bigdog
I run 10# or 12# max ug main and 8# max ug leader.