Can't fish in high water? Really???

troutdude
troutdude
So, when Oregon's rivers are high and muddy...why are so many fishing peeps eager to say "stay home" and don't bother to go fishing? Some of you go so far, as to also tell others to stay home, and basically "don't waste your time".

Where did the fish go? They haven't gone anywhere have they? They ARE still IN the rivers, right?

So, why just throw in the towel and call it quits when the waters are high? Quitting won't catch fish.

I agree that if you use the same tactics / gear -- for "low water level" fishing -- as you would when the rivers drop; you certainly won't catch many fish in high water. That makes sense, because you'd be using the same gear; but the conditions are different. Wouldn't a change in your approach (tactics/methods/gear) allow you to still catch fish?

Ever heard the fly fishing term..."match the hatch"? What those peeps are essentially doing, is matching the fishing conditions. And matching the conditions catches more fish. Right?

Perhaps youse guyz should invest in a copy of "Spinner fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout", by Jed Davis. Matching his gear and techniques to changing conditions, has allowed Jed to catch fish--no matter what the conditions are. By the way, the peeps that put Jed's scientific approach to fishing...have also caught MANY fish in a variety of weather/water conditions.

I'm eager to hear, why you should just stay home; when the rivers are high n' muddy. Why would you not want to go fishing? To me, it just seems odd to stay home; when the fish are still there to be caught.

Last edited:
S
skunk
Good advice, I've read that book once. Looks like time to get it and try a new method since this rain looks like its here to stay.

F
fishingfreak
troutdude said:
So, when Oregon's rivers are high and muddy...why are so many fishing peeps eager to say "stay home" and don't bother to go fishing? Some of you go so far, as to also tell others to stay home, and basically "don't waste your time".

Where did the fish go? They haven't gone anywhere have they? They ARE still IN the rivers, right?

So, why just throw in the towel and call it quits when the waters are high? Quitting won't catch fish.

I agree that if you use the same tactics / gear -- for "low water level" fishing -- as you would when the rivers drop; you certainly won't catch many fish in high water. That makes sense, because you'd be using the same gear; but the conditions are different. Wouldn't a change in your approach (tactics/methods/gear) allow you to still catch fish?

Ever heard the fly fishing term..."match the hatch"? What those peeps are essentially doing, is matching the fishing conditions. And matching the conditions catches more fish. Right?

Perhaps youse guyz should invest in a copy of "Spinner fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout", by Jed Davis. Matching his gear and techniques to changing conditions, has allowed Jed to catch fish--no matter what the conditions are. By the way, the peeps that put Jed's scientific approach to fishing...have also caught MANY fish in a variety of weather/water conditions.

I'm eager to hear, why you should just stay home; when the rivers are high n' muddy. Why would you not want to go fishing? To me, it just seems odd to stay home; when the fish are still there to be caught.

I agree with you to a certain water level and CFS. After the Clack,Sandy, and Tributaries get to my own personal to high to fish level. I just stay home due to dangerous conditions. I have also in the last year caught fish near these levels but its hard work just due to the fact I hike sometimes 4 to 6 miles ,cross rivers and streams to get to my holes. Sometimes I will go out and find new holes that I can fish during the high levels, be successful and catch fish. I think its a matter of personal choices and experience. You are right they are there and you can catch them its just harder to work for them and its a whole different technique a lot of people just do not want to waste time, effort, or $$ on. Example I went to the Wilson a few weeks ago when everyone said stay home it was blown out. I caught 2 ugly dark fish that day. I just used my big game drifting and bobber gear. I actually watched a guy using a cut in 1/2 boat buoy as a float and caught a 35lb chrome bright Nook right after I caught the Rootbeer brown darkies. Its just a matter of personal preference. If I had a Jet sled to run up the Clack I would not be typing this right now. Also If I was not working today I would be fishing no matter what levels just to gain more experience on the water.

FF

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
See.... it just goes to show ya what can happen when you don't have enough sense to come on out of the rain.....

M
mrlindeman
I enjoy fishing even if I skunk. Thats why I will usually go no matter what the conditions are. For me its about the experiance and learning. Its also about getting out and enjoying the outdoors. Catching fish is the bonus. I never only go fishing just for the sake of catching a fish though.

brandon4455
brandon4455
it is quite simple plunking with a mdeium sized spin glo in pink,black or purple with scent or shrimp . and fishing with a float and worm during floods is fun too.

F
fishkiller
troutdude said:

Then show us how it's done!!

W
waco
It is posible !!! just sometimes not safe!!!! depends where you are!!!

O
OnTheDrop
yeah the only reason i said to stay home cause it was 2 ft from flood stage. I have caught limits of steelhead in muddy BROWN water. I know where the fish are at as long as theres some bank to fish. But when its so high and is litterally flooding on some rivers theres no bank so how can you fish?

H
halibuthitman
steel head fishing is obviously hard enough for a new angler... anyone asking on here if it is too high to fish... the answer is yes, why? becouse you asked on here, an expirenced angler would already have his spot... wether its the couch or a cutbank or seam.. he already knows. These rivers are far too dangerous to have people.... im sorry, PEEPS, out there tripping around on the banks, trying to wade or float them. as for Jed Davis... Jeds dad obviously didn't teach him how to drive over the mountain and go trout fishing until the rivers drop.. Fish can be caught by accomplished anglers in almost any weather event.. but not on any river, and jed davis spinners are definitely not the solution.. target a different species in different water, or stay home and tune your gear, or use the rainy weeks to make your wife or girlfriend happy by doing something she wants to do.., But I love being proven wrong, so TD... drive up to the wilson necanicum or NF nehalem and catch a fish with the time date on the picture for today... and I will give you a $100 gift certificate to el-goucho.. and you can eat a steak on me-

troutdude
troutdude
Thank you to all who have chimed in on this topic. It has been interesting, to read everyone's comments and points of view.

First, I was NOT suggesting that anyone should EVER put there life in peril; just for the sake of finding some fish. None of us, would ever want to see any news obit's in that regard. So, thanks for bringing that up.

Secondly, after re-reading my original thread, perhaps my comment about "Jed Davis techniques and gear" was stronger than I had intended. No offense was meant. It was rather to point out, the scientific concepts of changing gear and / or methods to get into the fish. BTW, I know that I am NOT the only one who swears by Jed's approach (but, we'll save that for another day...hopefully sunnier).

Thirdly, there ARE fish that ARE caught in high water conditions. Several peeps have been out in this nasty weather, and have come home with steel. So, it not only can be done...it HAS been done. But perhaps, that should be left up to an individuals choice. And choosing to err on the side of caution--in ultra high water conditions--is a good idea for sure. And I tip my hat, to those of you who chose to WARN others of the dangers involved in heavy flow conditions.

Oh...one more thing...the point made by Hitman is ALWAYS a good choice--to choose to do something that makes your "other half" happy!