Marine Cannon Beach Fishing Reports

F
Fishnsleep
The ocean forecast for Sunday was great, and there were minimal tide exchanges. With this in mind, my friend Todd and I headed to Garibaldi at 6:00 a.m. from Portland. We ran the 20 or so miles north to fish off of Cannon Beach, in his 19’ Arima Sea Chaser, a great ocean boat! Fishing was very good. We managed to get our four lingcod and one nice canary fairly early. We were fishing about 100’ of water, trying to fish on top of structure which holds these fish. I was using a 16 ounce bullet jig with a large paddle tail grub on it. Todd was using a similar setup.

After we got our lingcod we decided to run south back to Garibaldi, we fished the Dinner Reef. There were a few other boats fishing there when we arrived. The fish were not present on this day, we did not see any caught. We decided to call it a day and washed the boat and headed back to Portland

The Dinner Reef is located just north of the Bell Buoy approximately ½ mile west of the entrance to Tillamook Bay. Three Arch Rocks is located south of Tillamook Bay off of the City of Oceanside but boating is prohibited within 500 feet of Arch Rocks from May 1st through September 15th.
202011022lings.jpg
202011014lings.jpg

Reactions: bass, troutdude, Admin and 2 others
DOKF
DOKF
Nice day, great outing!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Looks like great water! Gotta take advantage of those days this year. They are few and far between. Nice looking ling cod. I'm curious why so heavy? I'm usually around 6 ounces between 80' and 100'.

F
Fishnsleep
jamisonace said:
Looks like great water! Gotta take advantage of those days this year. They are few and far between. Nice looking ling cod. I'm curious why so heavy? I'm usually around 6 ounces between 80' and 100'.
2 reasons, one I find I get snagged on the bottom a lot less the more straight up and down I can keep the line/jig, heavier jigs help with this. Second, the first ling we caught puked up fish that were fairly large, about the size of the paddle tail I was using. If I do not get bit with big presentation, I will downsize. I do believe "matching the hatch" has some validity to it.

Reactions: jamisonace
F
Fishnsleep
DOKF said:
Nice day, great outing!
My wife's fish tacos are outstanding. But it is my fish that is the main ingredient, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Great report and beautiful fish!

And thanks for using my patented C-19 elbow bump. I just made another dollar! ;-)

Top Bottom