Canned trout

D
DG1959
Anyone can their catch? Is canned trout any good? I have had canned Kokanee and loved it, different than a trout though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I've canned trout and kokanee, I always smoke them lightly first, peel off the fillets and toss the backbone and most of the skin, then crumble into jars and into the pressure cooker. trout tends to have plenty of oil, cans very well.

Reactions: Casting Call
Irishrover
Irishrover
Love canned trout. We do it the same way we can salmon. Pint jars, teaspoon of salt, ts olive oil, ts vinegar, dash of liquid smoke, chunked up trout. 10lbs of pressure for 90 minutes. Skin on, bones in, vinegar dissolve to bones. We freeze the trout and once we have enough for a canner load, we pull them out and start the process. I cut them up into chunks when partially frozen and stuff them into the jars and add the ingrediencies. Absolutely great on a salad, with pasta, on a sandwich, or right out of the jars!

Reactions: Casting Call
S
Snopro
Everyone's taste buds are unique. Can what you want. Try shad, I've heard it's good.

Having said the above...in a state rich with salmon, steelhead, and saltwater bottom fish, there's no storage space available in my house for trout.

Reactions: rogerdodger
D
DG1959
Thanks everyone, canned plenty of tuna, beef and o forth. Trout next.

DOKF
DOKF
Snopro said:
Everyone's taste buds are unique. Can what you want. Try shad, I've heard it's good.

Having said the above...in a state rich with salmon, steelhead, and saltwater bottom fish, there's no storage space available in my house for trout.
More trout for me ...

S
Snopro
DOKF said:
More trout for me ...
You're welcome to my share of Budweiser and Cheez Whiz too. ;)

DOKF
DOKF
Is that Bud, or Bud Lite? :)

Neither of which I imbibe ...

As for the yellow paste, I don't eat power bait either 🤮