Canby Pond

M

moosebrew13

Took my 5 year old out there for the first time today. We fished for about an hour with Powerbait but only got 1 hit. We switched over to worms and got bites like crazy. I'm not sure if the hook was to big or something but we couldn't get hookups. We did manage 1 but it was a small sunfish I think. We were using a bobber and about 2ft of leader.

There were a couple older guys there that caught 9 largish trout. They were using worms but fishing about 18 inches off the bottom and farther out then I could because of better poles and more lead. (My son's pole is only like 5' 6" and doesn't cast very far.)

The part of the lake closest to the entrance of the park was the only part producing today. The rest was pretty full of weeds. Not sure if any of this info is regular happenings or just today cause it was my first time there so you can take it or leave it. We will be going back soon so I will repost my findings then.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tnffishman

At least u can say u werent skunked, you'll outsmart the trout next time for sure

M

Markcanby

Your hook looks a allitle big I put 14s on for my boys started down there with 12s but like you said you can't get a hookup. We haven't been down for a couple weeks but we doing well with the power-nuggets.

M

moosebrew13

Your hook looks a allitle big I put 14s on for my boys started down there with 12s but like you said you can't get a hookup. We haven't been down for a couple weeks but we doing well with the power-nuggets.

If you are using a 14 then yes it was HUGE! I think it was a 6 or maybe an 8. We had size 12 treble hooks for the power bait but awitched to worms unplanned and that was all we had. Thanks for the tip.

T

the_intimidator03

ok... that is a bluegill to verify the sunfish species you caught. Now if you want to catch bluegill consistantly i would use about a size 12 hook that would be about 3/8ths inch long. For the trout i would suggest a size 4 or 6 when fishing worms, with powerbait i generally use about a 1/4 oz egg weight on ur main line with a swivel below it as a stopper. to that i attach 12-30 inchs of leader to a 12 or 14 treble hook with enough bait to float it, dip it in the water to make sure it does float and it also cast better after a dunk. If you want to use power eggs I would suggest a salmon egg hook or if you have to an 8-14 sized hook with one or two eggs. make sure it floats.

M

moosebrew13

ok... that is a bluegill to verify the sunfish species you caught. Now if you want to catch bluegill consistantly i would use about a size 12 hook that would be about 3/8ths inch long. For the trout i would suggest a size 4 or 6 when fishing worms, with powerbait i generally use about a 1/4 oz egg weight on ur main line with a swivel below it as a stopper. to that i attach 12-30 inchs of leader to a 12 or 14 treble hook with enough bait to float it, dip it in the water to make sure it does float and it also cast better after a dunk. If you want to use power eggs I would suggest a salmon egg hook or if you have to an 8-14 sized hook with one or two eggs. make sure it floats.

This is the setup I started with but the Powerbait wasn't floating. I guess I didn't have enough on or something. We switched to a bobber and started getting strikes with the worms. My son likes the bobber cause he can see the hits. I will try this next time. Thanks for the info. I have heard power eggs are the best, maybe I will try them also.

T

the_intimidator03

i use a ball that is about the size of the hook maybe a smidgen more. I think most if not all powerbait is floating formula now. Good luck out there

A

adambomb

There were a couple older guys there that caught 9 largish trout.

How old do you think they were? Keep in mind the pond is for kids 17 and under, and disabled people too.

M

moosebrew13

There were a couple older guys there that caught 9 largish trout.

How old do you think they were? Keep in mind the pond is for kids 17 and under, and disabled people too.

They were at least 60. I can't be totally sure. I wondered about that but how do you ask someone if they are disabled? I was only helping my 5 year old. I was thinking that was ok don't you? I didn't have my own pole there at all.

S

steelheadstalker31

troutdude

troutdude

I like the way you framed that pic. It makes the bluegill look almost as big as the kid holding it!

FYI, a size 14 hook is not larger than a size 6. The smaller the number, the LARGER the hook. (i.e. size 1 is LARGE, and a size 18 is tiny).

A bobber and a worm, will catch bluegill like crazy. But, I would not use a hook any larger than size 8 bait hook. Smaller is even better (like a 10 or 12). Jiggle the worm every once in a while to entice a bite.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
M

moosebrew13

I like the way you framed that pic. It makes the bluegill look almost as big as the kid holding it!

Thanks for the compliment on the picture. That is really the reason I posted it. It cracked me up to see a 4 or 5 inch fish look like it was about 3 feet long.

I understood about the hooks. I think I just worded my post funny so it seamed confused.

I will check out power eggs for sure. It seems lots of people agree with you.

Thanks for all the info.

F

fisherofmen

moosebrew13, I had difficulties with too large fotos to post, so did some research and found a simple way to make them smaller for posting. as follows:
find foto you want--
right click on it--
then scroll down to "open with"--
and left click on paint--
go to top menu bar and click on "resize/skew"--
try entering 75% to start with on horizontal and vertical--
then hit "ok" then "save"--
pull up foto again and check file size and if you like the new size and look of it-- works great good fishin

G

Growbug

They were at least 60. I can't be totally sure. I wondered about that but how do you ask someone if they are disabled? I was only helping my 5 year old. I was thinking that was ok don't you? I didn't have my own pole there at all.

Easiest way to do something is to call the Poachers number on the rear of your license.
There is usually quite a fast response to a call. When the guys turn up, as is their job, THEY will approach the older guys and THEY will check the disabled or not!!

Sometimes these days it isn't quite safe to walk up to a stranger (especially a group) with the seeminly offensive question of 'are you supposed to be fishing here, you do know its kids and disabled ONLY?".
Especially troublesome if you have a kid or 18 with you.

Good luck at the pond and keep fishin.. You could always switch to the Molalla River. Last time we went down there, i caught a nice sized Bluegill IN the Molalla just downstream fromt the pond (probably an escapee)

Top Bottom