Canby Pond, slow but catching a few

J
J4excellence
I get around in a wheelchair and even though I've been in Oregon for almost 15 years, I just recently received my Oregon disabled angler's permit. I arrived around 7:00 am on July 3rd and there was only one other party there--a guy with 4 boys, ages perhaps 8 to 12. The fish were pretty quiet until around 9:00 or 9:30 when they started jumping and biting better. In the next hour the boys caught a total of 5, two around 9 inches and a third around 12 inches. The other two were under legal size and were released. See the photos I took below of the fish and all the pond growth.

I found out the fish were taken with floating yellow Autzke's Fire Bait rigged about 18 inches above a sinker off the bottom. There were so many weeds and gunk that spinners were not practical. The fish came out of a relatively weed-free deeper spot quite a ways from the bank. If one could plant a cast right in that little weed-free area it was the best chance at a bite.

I got a few bites, but if there are very many fish in this pond, they didn't seem overly aggressive. Overall, though it was a fun time just to be outdoors--the weather was fabulous and I saw what I think was an Osprey trying to snag a fish.

I'll be back, but likely some time closer to after the pond is stocked in the Spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
R
Rascal
Glad you got a few i like to fish at this other pond thats near there by the river. It has some nice big bass and blue gill

J
J4excellence
Thank You Rascal,

Is the water generally clearer earlier in the year in these ponds? The weeds can make things a challenge. What's the name of the pond you fish in near there? Is there access for a guy in a wheelchair?

R
Rascal
thats the problem it isn't wheelchair accessable but if you walk along the river and keep going you end up hitting a pond... one time on a slow day i threw a worm in there and bam cought a nice bass and tons of bluegill.

If i find anything with better wheelchair access near by ill let you know though...

and welcome to the forum:D

L
Left Bank
Welcome to the forum J4excellence!!! Glad to hear that you had a great day and the weather cooperated.

B
bigsteel
welcome to the forum,,,,,,,,sounds like you had a good day.....way to go:dance::dance::dance::dance:

J
J4excellence
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. I like how well this site is set up. It is a great place to find and share information.

H
Hawk
Welcome to the Family Bro.
Those are some beautiful pics.

I hope you catch some biggun lunkers,
:D:D:D
:cool::cool:

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish and welcome to the fun