Can you use live bait when fishing for steelhead or cutthroat?

F
Fred
I know a lot of people use live ghost shrimp and eggs but are live earthworms allowed. Also, are they closed to bait fishing during some part of the years

T
Throbbit _Shane
Earthworms are fine to use and work good as long as bait is open on the river you plan to fish.

Reactions: Fred
Bake
Bake
Interesting question. I being a long time Largemouth Bass fisherman from the upper midwest, and Texas, I was wondering if a "plastic worms" would attract a steelhead or cutthroat. When I was fishing the Bass tournaments in Texas, I made my own worms. My personal favorite was Grape & Blue 6" long with a fantail, floater. If you wish, you could change the formula make a "sinkers", any color combination, and use different molds for a 3' (no tail) to a 12" long monsters with any tail you liked...

Admin
Admin
Bake said:
I was wondering if a "plastic worms" would attract a steelhead or cutthroat

without any doubt

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Gear and Bait Restrictions:

Use of Fish for Bait:
Dead fish, preserved fish, parts of fish and shellfish, and fish eggs may be used as bait.

The following may NOT be used as bait:

Live fish. Except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the same waters in which they will be used as bait.

Goldfish. Nor can they be in an angler’s possession while angling.

Lamprey.

Live crayfish.

Live leeches. Nor can they be in an angler’s possession while angling.

Reactions: HombreLibro85 and troutdude
P
pinstriper
I get the while plastic worm, grub, etc. thing being bait. But I wonder about something like a rubber bass rat - is that considered bait, too ? It is more like a bath toy with hooks.

What saith the book, Roger ?

F
Fred
Throbbit _Shane said:
Earthworms are fine to use and work good as long as bait is open on the river you plan to fish.
rogerdodger said:
Gear and Bait Restrictions:

Use of Fish for Bait:
Dead fish, preserved fish, parts of fish and shellfish, and fish eggs may be used as bait.

The following may NOT be used as bait:

Live fish. Except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the same waters in which they will be used as bait.

Goldfish. Nor can they be in an angler’s possession while angling.

Lamprey.

Live crayfish.

Live leeches. Nor can they be in an angler’s possession while angling.
So would a piece of dead crayfish be legal?

F
Fred
I fish the Wilson a lot for steelhead, and i see a lot of catch and release only or salmon angling closed signs. So does that mean the steelhead pink worms I have been using are illegal? Also, are soft beads considered bait? Also, I catch and release all wild fish I catch.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Fred said:
I fish the Wilson a lot for steelhead, and i see a lot of catch and release only or salmon angling closed signs. So does that mean the steelhead pink worms I have been using are illegal? Also, are soft beads considered bait? Also, I catch and release all wild fish I catch.

Bait is allowed on the Wilson all year, but you can't fish for trout, even C&R, until May 22:

Wilson River (Mainstem)
Hwy 101 bridge to South Fork

Open all year for hatchery steelhead.
Open for hatchery spring Chinook salmon Jan 1 – Jul 31.
Open for fall Chinook salmon Aug 1-Dec 31 (North Coast Wild Chinook Aggregate Bag Limit applies).
Use of bait allowed.

Reactions: Fred
F
Fred
rogerdodger said:
Bait is allowed on the Wilson all year, but you can't fish for trout, even C&R, until May 22:

Wilson River (Mainstem)
Hwy 101 bridge to South Fork

Open all year for hatchery steelhead.
Open for hatchery spring Chinook salmon Jan 1 – Jul 31.
Open for fall Chinook salmon Aug 1-Dec 31 (North Coast Wild Chinook Aggregate Bag Limit applies).
Use of bait allowed.
Thanks, weird that they don't allow C&R on the Wilson but they allow it on Gales.