Can you eat spawning salmon?

brandon4455
brandon4455
The strange part is, that fish cut better than this one.

This fish was caught less than 3 miles from saltwater on a small coastal system that gets a much later return than the stream the previous fish was caught from. It can be hit and miss. Fish still tasted good and meat was fairly firm, but I was disappointed. I couldn’t find the fillet pics for this one but I previously posted this fish in my end of fall salmon thread.

1DF4E4C6-784E-46AE-A151-ACE693C1436D.jpeg

Reactions: Admin
DOKF
DOKF
Of course all this must be taken with a grain of salt considering that the average consumer is only too happy to eat salmon bought at Safeway or Winco ...

I would hazard to say that fresh caught is almost always better than the supermarket.

Almost always ...

Reactions: Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
brandon4455 said:
The strange part is, that fish cut better than this one.

This fish was caught less than 3 miles from saltwater on a small coastal system that gets a much later return than the stream the previous fish was caught from. It can be hit and miss. Fish still tasted good and meat was fairly firm, but I was disappointed. I couldn’t find the fillet pics for this one but I previously posted this fish in my end of fall salmon thread.
Truth is its a crap shoot in the fall. Those late run fish can mature in the ocean and come in ready to spawn.

On a side note, I keep hearing of guys catching fall Chinook on beads. I've hooked a couple springers while side drifting beads for steelhead.
I'm going to have to try it next year. I have a few spots it could be killer.

jamisonace
jamisonace
DOKF said:
Of course all this must be taken with a grain of salt considering that the average consumer is only too happy to eat salmon bought at Safeway or Winco ...

I would hazard to say that fresh caught is almost always better than the supermarket.

Almost always ...
At least you know how long it's been dead and how well it was taken care of. I can make a pretty pale salmon or steelhead damn good in the smoker.

Reactions: LazyBrewer
brandon4455
brandon4455
jamisonace said:
Truth is its a crap shoot in the fall. Those late run fish can mature in the ocean and come in ready to spawn.

On a side note, I keep hearing of guys catching fall Chinook on beads. I've hooked a couple springers while side drifting beads for steelhead.
I'm going to have to try it next year. I have a few spots it could be killer.
I agree! The river that fish was caught on gets fish starting in October but it peaks in mid November and has fish through the end of the year.

That was my first time trying beads for salmon. I’m pretty sold on them haha

S
Snopro
jamisonace said:
I can make a pretty pale salmon or steelhead damn good in the smoker.
No. ;)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Snopro said:
Ok...damn good is an exaggeration but I brine it heavy so it's too salty to eat by itself. I garnish salads, chowder, pasta or make dip with it. It's not like a fresh fish but it is very good as a garnish.

troutdude
troutdude
scarekrow said:
Are those salmon or just big rainbows?
Just giant rainbows which have produced multiple broods of youngin's. They rarely fight at all (no fun IMO), and their meat is literally worthless. It cracks me up when I see peeps keep those fugly beasts.

Shaun Solomon said:
He’s talking about broodstock trout.

Trout get pretty big, easily over ten pounds. Brooders eat a steady diet of dog food, same as stockers. If you enjoy the taste of dog food transmuted into fish flesh, then yes, you can eat them.
Too funny!

Shaun Solomon said:
They were not zombies or sorebacks (nice term btw, I’ll be appropriating it for future use)
Sorebacks is what I've always heard on the Alsea and Siletz. Perhaps a localized term by old-timers?