Umpqua in the Elkton fishing by a drift boat for smallies?

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Would like to take my wife over to the Umpqua and fish for smallies. Is the river too low to do this or what? Please respond as she wants to go tomorrow........:rolleyes:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Do you want to float into Elkton? I don't know where you can put in that would only be a day float if you want to take out at Elkton. You could float James Wood to Osprey probably.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Where is James Wood and Where is Osprey? Can you be specific? Thanks...

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Not to hijack, but hi Fred...long time, no see. Hope you & Mrs. Fred (LOL), have a good time on the water.

I'll defer to others, to answer your questions.

M
Mad dog
It's damn low!!!

Guys were floating it in driftboats last week. I would be prepared to bang a few rocks and navigate some tight slots!

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
A great afternoon

A great afternoon

:rolleyes:It was low, thats for sure. Got to Yellow Creek boat Launch and looked down to see a lot of rock showing plus a narrow channel coming in to the lauch area. Decided to put in here at Yellow Creek and float down to Kellogg. Not a bad little drift but had a headwind that was fairly stout at times. Plenty of Smallmouth that hit and caught. They seemed to love my son's glow lime green spinner a lot. My wife got a small yellow spinner and had a lot of fun with that. I used a quarter ounce Thomas Bouyant Copper and hammered the biggest one. Pulled over at several spots and panned for gold. My wife did get some nice color for her efforts. It was around 75 degrees F., a very nice afternoon. As you come up to Kellogg, the flow splits, take the pouroff over to the right bank as there are several sticker rocks preventing your decent. There is a slight manuver you make to your left as the flow wants you to hit a rock if you go staight. The takeout I used was dirt and needed 4-wheel kicked in to pull out up the bank after takeout. About 85 miles one way, so it takes some time to get there. We all had a great time. Fish-On Fred:clap::clap: