Can somebody give me advice please!?

W
waco
Im getting my first fishing pole for salmon/steelhead but don't know what to get this is my first year fishing i have catching trout but i want to catch the big boys now does any one give a little help to choose one good fishing pole?

N
nwkiller
if i was you, id go check out garage sales get urself a 7'7" or and 8'6"

W
waco
thank you man! so should i try to get a spinreel or cast?

N
nwkiller
if your just starting out id probably get a spinning reel, throw some 8 pound line on it and your set

W
waco
whats the difference on those??

W
waco
well im getting a new fishing pole would recomend any brand?

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum Waco.

What kind of rod to get, totally depends on what type of fishing you plan to do.

If you'll be casting out spinners or spoons and such, you'll want a spinning rod and reel set.

But, if you'll be using a float and bait (or a jig), or drift fishing bait / corkies and yarn / or something similar....then you will want a casting rod with a low profile level wind reel.

And 7.5 feet to 8.5 feet for rod length is good (as suggested above).

N
nwkiller
the reels.......the bait casting reel is defenetly alittle more tricky to get the casting down then a spinning reel

S
SantiamDrifter
Get a spinnging real. It offers up more to the angler. And will be far more easier for you to fish with then a levelwind. As for your first pole I would say stay away from G loomis and Lamiglass. Althought those are the only two rods I use. They are the best, but they're prices show it. Look into Berkley's IM7 or IM8's. They are a good middle class of rods. That way you can get a feel for fishing in general before you invest in a 300$ rod.

W
waco
well im thinking on spend about 100 bucks

N
nwkiller
shakespear ugly stick

W
waco
well im really new about fishing i just started fishing about 2 monts ago i have catching trout and last week i catch a 19 inch trout it was awesome and now i want to try to catch big one i live on southeast portland that anyone knows about were to go for them?

W
waco
well thank you all for your help i hope i will catch some fish!!!

N
nwkiller
good luck

A
autofisher
My best advice I can give you is to get a 8'6 or a 9 foot spinning rod with medium action. It gives you a lot of versatility for the newer angler and doesn't require a lot of finesse. If you go to any of your fishing stores they will usually have a store brand that's going to be an OK shot. Not always. If you're going for bigger fish, I would step it up to 12 lb test at the minimum. If you hook into a big ol nook on 12 lb make sure your drag is set good and loose. For trout, I usually stick to 6lb main and a 4lb leader on the rivers....lakes usually with a 4 & 4.

M
metalfisher76
Definitely start with a spinning rod/reel set up. Put 12 on the reel, make sure it is big enough to hold 12, and tie on a small swivel, leaving a tag on the main line from the swivel. That tag is for pencil lead, but you can use any method of weight yer comfy with. From that go 20"-30" of 8-10lb leader(8steel 10or even 12 for nooks). This is yer drift rig. Put bait, flies, yarn balls, corkies/spin-n-glos or a combo of and you be BIG fishin. If ya want to throw a spinner tie on a swivel with 3` of leader material. You can use lead for a deeper retrieve, but the swivel should be there simply to minimize line twists. You can bobber fish too, although a braided line is best for this. There are lots of good tips for this style out there, lots! google it and go to youtube for more. Mostly, have fun, don`t take it to seriously, till ya get 1;):)

C
Cohosanders
Okuma offers a decent priced combo for the bigger fish for around 100 bucks and as long as you don't beat on it too hard it should last for a few. I have recently been using a Shimano Clarus and a Berkely AIR Both of which have great action and are built to last. While I like my Okuma...I have had to replace both the reel and rod top since January, but the customer service is good. Shop around...look on Craigs List or on this forum for good deals. You can find decent used set-ups that should be fine for a beginner. Good Luck and we expect pics. as soon as you land that BIG ONE!!!

P
plumb2fish
8'6" berkley buzz ramsey im-7or8 in 12 to 25lb spinning rod matched with a reel that will hold at least 160 yrds of 12lb test. for steelies it is a bit heavy but will work until you decide to up grade and for fall nooks it is a little light but it is hard to pick one beginner rod for both species of fish. this rod will work fairly well and is in your price range. reel will be extra.

F
fishingfreak
If you are looking for a good $80 to $100 dollar setup. My Brother and I have gone to Great American Tackle Shop In Clackamas since we started going for the big guys 5 weeks ago, 16122 Se 82nd Dr Clackamas Or, 97015. Gary Waterhouse is the Owner and the only employee. It is a small shop. Ask for the Deal he has on the new Okuma 8'6" Connoisuer pole Medium Action 8-20lb line for $39.99 and The Shimano Solstice reel for $39.99. He will set you up with a very good starter setup, spool your reel, and it should cost around $92.00. This setup I have used a few times and works great. He also has more costly poles and reels like Berkely, Okuma, G-loomis, Shimano etc. Good luck hope this helps!

LA

M
Mike123
Berkely IM8... dude for the money I don't think any rod compares to it for around $80...
8-12lb... all around perfect rod for anything..
I just landed a 16lb chinook on my old IM7.. I had it flexed at the reel.. I thought this thing was gonna break..