Can I legally give away trout?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
As far as trout goes I'm catch and release fishing 95% of the time, but sometimes the trout just don't make it. Usually they inhale the hook

If it's a legal sized trout, and another angler doesn't have their limit, can I legally give it away to them? Or should I drop it in the water and it might "float" to where their standing?

I gave my 19" away yesterday after she wouldn't swim off, and the guy was ecstatic. He had one 10" fish and was looking to cook them for his work employees

Another guy on the bank said he legally couldn't take it, and he didn't have his limit

Other than that the small ones usually get eaten by the local ospreys or cranes

Solution
rogerdodger
there is a form in the reg books and online to officially transfer catch, here is a link:

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/license_permits_apps/docs/Wildlife_Transfer_Record.pdf

this is very important when people transfer catch "in the field" and also when that transfer would put someone "over-limit". I would add that it is especially important for catch that is high value and/or requires tagging.

a great and legal way to share catch is to simply let another person, who has a license and tag if necessary, land the fish by handing the rod to them while the fish is still in the water. They then land it and legally add it to their catch.
Admin
Admin
I believe some paperwork is involved. But I might be wrong, the info in my head is like 10 years old.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
there is a form in the reg books and online to officially transfer catch, here is a link:

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/license_permits_apps/docs/Wildlife_Transfer_Record.pdf

this is very important when people transfer catch "in the field" and also when that transfer would put someone "over-limit". I would add that it is especially important for catch that is high value and/or requires tagging.

a great and legal way to share catch is to simply let another person, who has a license and tag if necessary, land the fish by handing the rod to them while the fish is still in the water. They then land it and legally add it to their catch.

Reactions: troutdude and Admin
Solution
Admin
Admin
rogerdodger said:

that's a good one.

bass
bass
Hmm Roger. It is illegal to sell fish but is it legal to short term rent your rod? :)

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
rogerdodger said:

Paperwork explicitly states mammal? Is it supposed to include fish?

jamisonace
jamisonace
I had a lady hand me a giant Pink Fin at the dock a couple years ago. The creel checker saw it and asked for the paperwork. I told her we didn't do it. She didn't seem to care. Next time if I give a fish away or take one on a busy dock I'll try to be more discreet but paperwork for a fish you don't have to tag and it doesn't put you over the limit seems pointless.

jamisonace
jamisonace
NKlamerus said:
I guess if you're harpooning whales I can see the point of a paper trail.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and Admin
troutdude
troutdude
I give trout away all of the time. But only if I'm not over limit; nor is the person that I'm gifting my fish too. And I'm generally gifting fish to kids, because it creases their countenance with a smile. And/or puts food on their table and into their hungry tummies. If that makes me a criminal...so be it.

Reactions: Bob Budesa, Chromatose, Casting Call and 1 other person
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
NKlamerus said:

looks like I grabbed the link for Hunting/game transfer. can't locate a link to the fish/shellfish transfer form.

Reactions: troutdude
jamisonace
jamisonace
C_Run said:
I'm a criminal.
You and me both. Remember that day you left me with all your fish? We should be in jail.

Reactions: C_Run
S
Snopro
NKlamerus said:
He had one 10" fish and was looking to cook them for his work employees

I'd quit if my boss tried to feed me pellet head trout.

Reactions: jamisonace and rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
here is page 88 from this years Reg. booklet, I just cannot find a link to this from ODFW. notice the text at the top of the page clarifying the information required, or you can use the form.

• page88.jpg
A
Alan
I can’t remember how many times I have given trout to a kid near by. I will catch and release trout, But if it swallows the hook or is a “dead anyway” I keep it and try to give it away....... love the smile on a kids face, I’m not stopping.

C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace said:
You and me both. Remember that day you left me with all your fish? We should be in jail.

Shhh! I forgot to fill out the form. Dang!

• Haha
jamisonace
jamisonace
The information accompanying the transfer would be important for the person receiving if they are unlicensed. Out of curiosity though: Can I give fish to a person that already has a daily or possession limit?

troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
Out of curiosity though: Can I give fish to a person that already has a daily or possession limit?

Personally I would not; as doing so would then put them in jeopardy of a citation. In that scenario I would release the fish and hope that it survives. Or feeds the nearby wildlife.

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude said:
Personally I would not; as doing so would then put them in jeopardy of a citation. In that scenario I would release the fish and hope that it survives. Or feeds the nearby wildlife.

I'm asking if it would be legal, with the paperwork, to give fish to someone that is already at their limit or does not have a fishing license. Not that I care, I'm just bored. Work from home sucks.

Your personal feelings with regard to the post are noted. LOL