Can anyone identify this spider

T

The Nothing

looks like one of the many Gnaphosid species we have here in Oregon. They're fast, (chase their prey) and don't do any web building. Their bite is of no consequence, if they can even break the skin.

O

OnTheFly

I'm not sure Ted. Hey JeannaJigs and lilsalmon, can you help us out here? BobbiDoll...any comments? lol

T

The Nothing

I'm always seeing them to! They can get BIG!

Much more than a 1/2" wouldn't be the spider I'm talking about. The big spiders we're going to be seeing are usually Tegenaria duellica. Tegenaria aren't normally as darkly colored as the spider pictured above.

R

rippin fish lips

Much more than a 1/2" wouldn't be the spider I'm talking about. The big spiders we're going to be seeing are usually Tegenaria duellica. Tegenaria aren't normally as darkly colored as the spider pictured above.

ok thanks for clarifying that :)

troutdude

troutdude

I've seen a few of those around my place in Corvallis lately too.

As long as they don't bite, aren't poisonous and I don't eat any in my sleep.....................

J

JeannaJigs

I'm not sure Ted. Hey JeannaJigs and lilsalmon, can you help us out here? BobbiDoll...any comments? lol

I've had a few of those in my house and garage.

I introduce them to my good friend raid.

Hairspray and a lighter works well too if not in the house.

Just sayin'.

C

Coho Kid

It's hard to tell from the picture, but could that be a Hobo? I get lots of these in the house during the fall, and got bit twice this year, one bite was serious, the other was a "dry" bite. The distinguishing marks to identify a hobo, (because they come in an array of colors, from a yellowish/tan, light brown, to dark/reddish brown) is the eyes. It will look like 3 eyes on the front of the head. It's actually six eyes, but they are clustered to appear as three. This is the only spider in the NW to appear this way to my knowledge.

S

Spydeyrch

Here is some info on the Hobo Spider.

Hobo Spider

Also, there is a pretty sweet site all about the different spider species. It is:

Spiderzrule.com

Hopefully some info there will help you find out what kind it is.

-Spydey

P.S. It looks like a female hobo spider. Be careful as they can cause the same type of damage as a brown recluse spider!!!

Last edited:
T

the_intimidator03

Well i must say that unless im wrong of course... all spiders are venemous, However the potency of a lot of spiders is next to nothing. My mother used to collect tarantula's and a lot of the ones we kept had a mildly toxic venom... Very similar to bee venom. So if you were allergic to bee venom you could expect some issues. How ever I know tarantula's, not sure about other spiders, can vary how much venom they inject along with potency. Kind of interesting if you ask me

O

OnTheFly

I've had a few of those in my house and garage.

I introduce them to my good friend raid.

Hairspray and a lighter works well too if not in the house.

Just sayin'.

Ah yes. The flame thrower technique. Dangerous but fun.:D

N

nick@nite

sspider

sspider

For some reason I can't pull up the pic, Hobo spiders start seeking warmth and mates in the fall, if in doubt do a google search (hobo spider imiges) the two things that look like boxing gloves are the key, (palps) a woman in pendalton was killed by one of these and they pack a bad bite. I have traps in my garage for them and I bet I have two dozen of them stuck im my traps. (catchmaster glue traps) found at Wall-mart.

T

the_intimidator03

actually those boxing gloves... arnt an identifing factor in any spider. those are on males only. and i can bet that most of that two dozen spiders on ur traps arnt hobo's They look quite similar to common house spiders

T

TTFishon

I know this, we've lived here now for five years and every fall I see these spiders and we haven't had an issue yet. I watched a show on venomous creatures and they talked about the brown recluse and that got me thinking about the spiders around my house.

Thanks for the links Spydeyrch.

B

beaverfan

I went through this several years ago when I found a spider and suspected it could be a hobo. I took it into Washington County and had it tested. They told me the only way to say for certain if it is a Hobo or Giant House Spider is with a microscope. Without a microscope you can determin if it is NOT a Hobo but you can't say for sure if it IS one. Here is a link to the website that the county gave to me to use as a tool for identifying them in the future.

http://pep.wsu.edu/pdf/PLS116_1.pdf

Top Bottom