Camping trip next weekend

P
perfectg03
Hey OFFers,

I am taking my family and a couple friends up camping at olallie the 15th-18th. I have a couple questions. First, what are the odds of finding a spot on a thursday afternoon? I have talked to a few people that think it shouldn't be a problem, especially since they are currently not taking reservations. Second, what areas of the lake should i target? I will be renting a row boat and plan on trolling a fender w/ wedding ring and worm. I am also bringing my fly rod.

Any info is appreciated :) Thanks!

M
Markcanby
I was there on Monday an have great luck trolling from the dock up past teh second point on teh south side of the lake. I was trolling a olive wooly. Oh an camping wont be a problem there were only a few people there camping for the 4th. BRING LOTS UP BUG SPRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P
perfectg03
Thanks for the response. Sounds like it should be a great weekend. Hopefully all this scorching weather will kill off some of the skeeters!

E
eggs
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA your funny.. The hot weather only brings more of them out up there.... I go up there a couple times a month during the summer and they don't go away til september... I am heading up tomorrow for the weekend.. I am guessing with bug spray I will have hmm.... 50 bites.

Don't let em bother ya.. everything else around you will take your mind off them.. just wear long sleeves and pants as much as possible spray up with DEET(even your clothes)... FISH ON!

P
perfectg03
Ok so we are leaving tomorrow morning for Olallie. Can i get one last update on the SKeeters from anyone who has been up there in the past few days. The lady wont quit bugging me about the bugs :). We are bringing a spray containing about 35% DEET, hopefully that will be good enough. We also have citronella candles to surround our campsite. I know we will get a few bites here and there but hopefully they dont run us out. Hopefully will have a nice report on Monday.

E
eggs
You should be fine... they were around last weekend but w/ spray you will be fine

troutdude
troutdude
Try using a wedding ring with 1/2 black body and the other 1/2 green body. 'Bows really seem to like that w/ a worm! Also 1/2 pink, and 1/2 red works well.

For bigger fish, I would pull a Little Cleo spoon and / or a diving Rapala. After all, BIG fish eat little fish.

Good luck.

P.S. X 2 on the Olive Buggers too. But, I'd also try black.

P
perfectg03
Thanks! What is the best route up there? I got directions off google maps. Im coming from beaverton so I am going through estacada up NFR 46 and turn left on NFR 42, then right on NFR 4230, then finally a right onto 4220/skyline rd.

E
eggs
No take NFR 46 take a left on 4690 follow it to 4220 and take a right to the resort.. WAY better road then google tried to send you down!

L
lilsalmon
PM sent

J
JamesB
eggs said:
No take NFR 46 take a left on 4690 follow it to 4220 and take a right to the resort.. WAY better road then google tried to send you down!

I agree with eggs, that is the better road to take. And on camping, try to get a spot on the north side of the lake (Paul Dennison Campground), the mosquitos were less bad there than along the Penninsula campground. We camped there last weekend, and the fishing was good, but not as good as two weekends ago when I was there for just the day. I had good luck with a black and silver bangtail (rooster tail) and flies. Good luck!

E
eggs
Camp 10 wasn't too bad for skeeters.. not as bad as I have seen other places and times. Just spray up as soon as you get out of the car, all skin and thin clothing.

P
perfectg03
Thanks for all the help guys! Hopefully i will have a good report for you on monday. I will have pictures so i will submit my first real report. I'm pretty tech savy so i shouldn't have any problem uploading them.

E
eggs
have a good time man it is going to be perfect up there! Wind picks up around 3ish, if your not a strong row, just be mindful. It blows from the resort to pennisula. We fished our way up to the resort and let the wind kick in and push us home.

troutdude
troutdude
eggs said:
Camp 10 wasn't too bad for skeeters.. not as bad as I have seen other places and times. Just spray up as soon as you get out of the car, all skin and thin clothing.

Has anyone tried those new Clip-On type of skeeter protectors, that are supposed to create a "dead zone" all around you? Do they work, and really keep the bugs away?

L
Left Bank
troutdude said:
Has anyone tried those new Clip-On type of skeeter protectors, that are supposed to create a "dead zone" all around you? Do they work, and really keep the bugs away?

I was wondering about them myself. After 3-4 coats of bug spray it gets old and feels nasty.

E
eggs
yes we have the clipon's they were 'ok' for sitting at camp if only a few skeeters were around.. but when they get thick it doesn't work 1/2 as good as spray.

L
lilsalmon
I found Coleman spray at Safeway....98.11% DEET....worked good and so did Deep Woods OFF....hmmm made especially for us...hehe

K
kornphlake
I went camping with the scouts a few weeks ago at Cultus lake, the skeeters were thick and hungry but I managed 3 days with only a couple bites. I was using 99% deet, I really don't notice the brand or packaging, I just look for the highest concentration of deet. It might kill baby seals, cause cancer and rot my teeth, but if it keeps the mosquitoes off it's worth it. All the kids had bug spray with lower percentages of deet or no deet at all, by the end of the week they were all borrowing my 99% deet spray because it was the only thing that worked.

I'm a believer in wearing some kind of net over my face. I bought one of these at Bi-mart a couple years ago and it was possibly the best $2 ever spent. Amazon.com: Coleman 827-B360T Insect Head Net - Green: Sports & Outdoors