Camping spots on the river?

brandon4455
brandon4455
can anyone help me out with this? i need to find somwhere that is near the river, is family friendly and has cabins and can't be a long ass drive. also, i must be able to fish for steelhead :) (im teaching my dad how to fly fish) we are thinking about somwhere on the santiam again.. we have already been to fishermans bend.
thanks in advance

brandon

C
capblack
can't think of any cabins, but fishermans bend, the state park, and john neal all have nice spots to camp on the north santiam, with fishing within walking distance

S
SantiamDrifter
Real men dont camp in cabins!!!

C
capblack
most of the time i tent camp, but if a cabin was available, id take it

M
michigan_transplant
waterloo is on the south santiam. don't think it has cabins though.

brandon4455
brandon4455
we were thinking about waterloo but mom does not want to camp in a tent and i think the smaller kids would whine too. otherwise i would be camping on a secluded part of the river or a place without cabins. ill take a look into john neal. might try to find a few other places on different rivers as well.

L
lilsalmon
There are cabins up in Detroit, with close access to the lake, Santiam and Breitenbush (which opens Saturday for trout....yessss) but in MHO....nothing better than tent camping and I can't wait....hopefully my first one of the year is on the Crooked, though.

G
GoldFishSlayer
nothing to close to the south that I can think of with cabins I would take a wall tent any day haha there are also campgrounds at foster and green peter but tent or trailer no cabins

brandon4455
brandon4455
can anyone recomend a place that has cabins and i can steelhead fish thats not on the santiam?

C
capblack
alaska, coast, central oregon? theres nothing around here, your gonna have to drive

S
SantiamDrifter
There are cabins on the east side of the cascades. Those streams have resident bows and other trout. Places like sunriver come to mind. ORRRRR, you can leave the girls at home and just have a guy's camping trip!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
mom dosen't mind an hour drive she said. nothing more then that. and dad is having the whole family come because he only has the time for one camping trip due to work. but, idk maybe he can squeeze one in for just me and him and maybe a few of you guys sometime.

C
capblack
you will be limited to the coastal rivers then, you wont even make detroit in an hour, much less central oregon. better learn how to tent camp