Camping middle fork of the willamette?

B
bigsteel
curious if there was any camping on this river?does anyone have any experience fishing this river,,i would love to hear.

Troutski
Troutski
Middle Fork play ground

Middle Fork play ground

There are two camp grounds around the Westfir area, there is even a shuttle service available if you want to float the section between Westfir and Black Canyon camp ground. Great water...tons of residential Trout.

Chuck

B
bigsteel
thanks troutski,i can't wait to fly fish this river

J
JeannaJigs
Lots of camping opppurtunities, but I'm not sure if any of them are open after labor day though. It's been a long time since I was up there to fish, but I used to when I was a kid a lot, we camped up there seems like every other weekend during the summer. There's also some really good water up above the reservoirs, we used to camp at this place called sand prairie... and hiked all up and down around the river there, lots of trout, no shortage. My only complaint is snakes. There was no shortage of snakes.

B
bigsteel
thanks jeanna,,if i have to outweigh snakes vs trout.IM GOIN

J
JeannaJigs
bigsteel said:

You're a braver man than I am!

Or well I guess I'm not a man, but, you know what I mean! LOL

D
DirectDrive
There's a private campground at Dexter Shores that puts you within range of the boat ramp that is just below Dexter Dam. You have to go through Lowell to get to the boat ramp side.

There are public campgrounds upstream but they're a little out of range of this section of the river, IMO.
You can check on these at the Ranger Station in Lowell.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
What kind of camping are you into? I've camped on the other side of the river off of the gravel road.

B
bigsteel
thanks guys and gal,,im just a pitch tent and fish all day kind of camper,i was thinkin a 3 or 4 day trip will be in order for this river,,it looks like great trout fishing opportunities.i dont have a boat so i would be wading

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
bigsteel said:
thanks guys and gal,,im just a pitch tent and fish all day kind of camper,i was thinkin a 3 or 4 day trip will be in order for this river,,it looks like great trout fishing opportunities.

I'm really looking forward to your report. I think you will be pleased with this stretch of river and I know you will be pleased with the upper river that Jeanna mentioned.

B
bigsteel
im thinkin the week after this ill head over,ill bring home a report for sure,,,thanks everyone

T
TTFishon
Not that you'll run out of places to fish up there but the North Fork has some big trout too. Good luck!

L
lilsalmon
bigsteel said:

bigsteel and snakes??? hehe

B
bigsteel
thats why your coming,SO YOU CAN CLEAR THEM OUT:lol::lol: