Camping for the sake of fishing!

H
hellj85
So I'm relatlively new to camping in Oregon, but been a fisher for all my life. I have a simple question -

What're some good to great campgrounds with 1/2 decent bank fishing within walking distance (preferably campgrounds near or around lakes)?

I don't have much in the way of water craft so bank fishing is my primary, and secondary. Tertiary being waders. If it's definitely worth the effort I could probably somehow manage to get ON the water - but like I said primarily bank and wader fishing.

Looking for trout, bass, cats...not too picky, just want to fish!

I've web to Detroit lake, Harriet and Timothy lakes. I liked Hariet but the campground availability is low, and Detroit lake is too crowded 9 times out of 10.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to travel 80 miles or less put of Portland. Though if there's something worth checking out in the 90-100 mile range let me know about those too :)

Thanks in advance!

H
hellj85
That's supposed to read "I've BEEN to Detroit lake..."

and "...80 miles OUT of Portland..."

dumb phone Internet won't let me scroll up and down in the text box when editing.

S
Spydeyrch
Are you more interested in lakes or rivers and streams?

H
hellj85
any and all. I don't have any fly fishing experience though...and no steelhead - I'm too poor to buy salmon tags.

Gunga
Gunga
A couple places i can think of that have good fishing is northfork resovior. And trillium lake.

S
Spydeyrch
hellj85 said:
any and all. I don't have any fly fishing experience though...and no steelhead - I'm too poor to buy salmon tags.

Ok, so you are going to be going after trout primarily ..... or bass ..... or carp ..... or panfish. I am going to assume that you are going after trout.

Some pretty good spots to camp and fish are on the coast range. There are also quite a number of areas in the cascade range. Visit the High Alpine Lakes thread/sticky in the trout section and you will see a list of all the different lakes in the upper cascades area. Toward the end of that thread you will see a google map with indicators for the different locations. It might help in some degree.

There are a number of state parks in the willamette valley that have fishing areas in them or close by. And also, I believe the 3rd and 4th of June there is a get-together on the north santiam river. That would be a great opportunity to go camping, go fishing, and meet some of the members from here at OFF as they will be going too.

If you want some other ideas/locations, feel free to ask and I will try to be more specific. I don't know of too many but I am willing to share. Perhaps some of the other members can chime in and offer up some of the areas they know of.

Good luck!

-Spydey

W
wozniasm
As the guys are saying, you need to be more specific and since we don't know where your located, it's hard to steer you.
If you're near Escacada on Sunday morn, I'll be at North Fork Reservoir fishing for stocker trout. A few good places there but it will be popular this weekend since it just opened up.
I also like Hebo Lake. A few campsite (no water) but bank access for 3/4 of the lake. it's a small 5 acre lake. i also like Coffenbury and camp at Ft. Stevens though I hate the manicured camp sites.
You're close to Hagg as well but no camping there.
Trillium is gorgeous but I heard it's still snowed in.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrillMaster
O
OnTheFly
Clear Lake Mt Hood area. There is a designated campground but you can camp anywhere on the lake. Small water craft is nice but there are miles of bank access. Oh....did I mention the abundance of fish there too?