Camping/fly fishing on the Deschutes?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
This is my first spring in the area and I'm about to pee myself with excitement to finally be able to fly fish the legendary Deschutes. It's a bit of a drive though so I thought I'd bring the wife & dog out for a weekend of camping.

Can anyone recommend a good campsite on, or very near the river in a fly-friendly zone? PMs welcome. I've got a few steelhead tips to trade if it'll help to grease the wheels. ;)

Is it really only Tuesday?

B
bigsteel
what part of the deschutes?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
bigsteel said:
what part of the deschutes?

I'll be coming from the North but I am not opposed to hitting the lower D. I'm just hoping for a great combination of available fish, room to swing and a campsite to call home. I have heard that Warm Springs down to Whitehorse rapids is kind of a sweet spot, but having never fished any of it, I'm open to anything.

E
eggs
whole river is fly friendly.. you rarely see a gear fisherman.

you can find good spot to fish from Macks Canyon up to the Locked Gate, Trout Creek, Mecca Flats.. All great spots.. all should be a blast!

F
FlyBum
pinkygonzales said:
I'll be coming from the North but I am not opposed to hitting the lower D. I'm just hoping for a great combination of available fish, room to swing and a campsite to call home. I have heard that Warm Springs down to Whitehorse rapids is kind of a sweet spot, but having never fished any of it, I'm open to anything.

If you want to swing, head down to the mouth. If you want to fish for trout I'd do what Eggs said.

S
steelhead_slayer
what are you looking to target?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
I would love to go after trout, actually. I'll be armed with my 9'#4. I have had a blast targeting steelhead on the Sandy & Clackamas rivers this winter, but I'm ready for a change of pace.

The emphasis here in on the camping/fishing combo, so I can bring the wife and dog. Am I over thinking this?

F
FlyBum
Then I wouldn't really target trout by "swinging" for them. I'd pick up some nymphs and a few dry flies, but nymphs will be your best bet for a few more weeks :)

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Poor choice of words on my part. "Flailing" is probably a better description of my patented technique. :lol:

S
steelhead_slayer
Okay the swinging had me thinking you were maybe after steelhead. I think trout fishing is better in the mecca flat/trout creek area, but the camping is in a hot desert environment. Trout fishing is not as good around maupin (IMO), but the camping is a nicer green shady environment

Reactions: eggs
J
JeannaJigs
I'll be heading over there myself in a few weeks but the fishin dog is staying home :( too many rattlesnakes and she gets excited about garter snakes. Just keep that in mind if you take your dog, don't let it off leash. Not worth it.

Reactions: eggs
J
jimmy
the snakes are out already, my neighbor tent dispatched and skinned one friday afternoon. 7 buttons and 3 feet long. keep your eyes on the ground, walk heavy, pay attention. just don't step on 'em and you should be fine.

F
FlyBum
Actually the Ticks were/are bad too. Lions and Ticks and Snakes, oh my. Ya I'd advise people to just stay away from the Lower D this year and go fish some where else a little more safe. :lol:

brandon4455
brandon4455
make sure you have your drag set on that #4, i used my 4wt out there last fall and a 12 incher will light you up!! grab some kaufmann's stonefly nymphs with rubber legs before you go over!!

S
steelhead_slayer
FlyBum said:
Actually the Ticks were/are bad too. Lions and Ticks and Snakes, oh my. Ya I'd advise people to just stay away from the Lower D this year and go fish some where else a little more safe. :lol:

you forgot that crazed homeless man sticking people with dirty needles. I agree everyone should fish somewhere more safe ;)

J
jimmy
FlyBum said:

don't forget the coyotes, cougars, and scorpions..... and the dam magpies will sneak in and take away your lunch if you leave camp for 30 seconds..

brandon4455 said:
make sure you have your drag set on that #4, i used my 4wt out there last fall and a 12 incher will light you up!!

4wt. is a little light.... I run my 5 and often have to chase fish 50+ yards, the ones I posted this year both took me ~almost~ to my backing with my 6 wt. remember you're fighting the current along with the fish, and the big boys know how to get on a 45% plane in the swift water....

F
FlyBum
jimmy said:
don't forget the coyotes, cougars, and scorpions..... and the dam magpies will sneak in and take away your lunch if you leave camp for 30 seconds..

Ya, there are soooo many reasons to not go and fish the lower D.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i only had a 4wt at that time i now have a 9ft 5wt fr the purpose of fighting the wind,current and big fish at places like the deschutes :D

O
OnTheFly
Keep in mind that this time of year on the lower Deschutes is loaded with poison oak. Sometimes it's so thick that it makes bank access impenetrable. Yeah...avoid the lower Deschutes until July. Did I mention skunks?

G
GDBrown
If you are taking the wife and dog I would suggest the campground at the mouth. It has showers and a nice place for the wife and dog to remain safe while you hike up-river into all those nasty things the guys were talking about. Besides I talked to a friend who was there this last weekend and the Salmon Flys were all over the bank vegetation. It is also about the only place you would have a chance to swing for a steelhead at this time of year on the "D".

Good Luck,

GD

Reactions: JeannaJigs