Caddis pontoon boat

T
Twindaddy
I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice. I was in the market for a pontoon boat for steelheading on the lower clackamas and found a boat listed on Craigslist as a 9'. Person claimed to have purchased it at Bimart 18 months ago and they posted the picture of the Hydro Osprey, which I know Bimart had/has. When I arrived to make the purchase the tubes all say Caddis, and it only measures 8' long. It seemed in good shape and I was able to talk the price way down till it still felt like a good starter package. But here is where I need some help. But I am now at a loss to find any information about Caddis Pontoon boats or where I can buy accessories or repair parts.

Comments?

S
skunk
Can't help you on the Caddis part. What parts are you looking for? I have one of the bimart specials and I bet most any 8-9' tube fits them. They are just strapped on to the frame. Possibly that's what the seller did with the one you got. This is one toy that I recommend buying the cheapest one you can to start with. Then after you take it out once, you quickly discover what you need. For example, the oars hit my knees when I row with this bimart one, so I now know what to look for as far as oar lock mounting locations when I decide to upgrade. Most frames are steel or aluminum and this one I'm adding bracing and parts as I find need by welding and fabbing. I recommend a good rod holder of some sort as rowing sometimes takes all your effort and that pole has to be out of mind :). I want to run the Lower Clack sometime, I have a trailer that will hold two easily, I custom made it so pm me sometime if you want and lets find a day that works.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Hey I'd like to be in the loop on a lower clack run. I have a 10' Outcast but I'm nervous taking it on the river by myself the first time. The more people involved, the easier the shuttle situation would be too.

T
Twindaddy
Really strange, the guy was not a fisherman. He had bought it for his dad, they put it together then the dad got health problems. The seat had the pads on it that say Caddis, and the floats do too, so it looks like a package. But I googled for hours and can't find a reference to a Caddis pontoon boat anywhere.

Anyway, got it for $100, but it doesn't have any frame part behind the seat for gear storage or anchor, etc. The frame tubes ends are open where it looks like something could be attached there but it would have to be just the wight width.

I would welcome the opportunity to float a run with you. I'll warn you I am not a super-experienced steelheader, though I have been fishing since I could roll over. Friend talked me into getting serious about steelheading last january and only caught one but got the bug. Live close enough to make quick morning trips down to Riverside and originally was trying to get a buddy to un-mothball his old wood drift boat but that hasn't happened yet. picked up the book Essential steelhead fishing, and saw the dvd segment on the pontoon boat and adding stuff to them, and started shopping.

I am new to the site. What is PM'ing?

N
nimzrock
Try caddissports.com , its thier float tube site and Im sure they could answer your questions. Good luck and pm me when you are ready to do a run . I have a 9 foot toon and need to try a river run as well

troutdude
troutdude
PM'ing means to send that member a Private Message. Click on their screen name, and you'll have that option.

Caddis are made in McMinnville. I went there once, to pick up a new bladder for my float tube. They were really nice.

P.S. Welcome to OFF!

Last edited:
S
skunk
Sounds like there's a few of us who need to toon the clack. The trailer can actually haul quite a few toons, use it for the shuttle, so I say lets plan a trip. I'm good on the river, just not good at catching the steelies so don't worry about me making you look bad at fishing twindaddy.

B
BobbiDollPDX
skunk said:
Sounds like there's a few of us who need to toon the clack. The trailer can actually haul quite a few toons, use it for the shuttle, so I say lets plan a trip. I'm good on the river, just not good at catching the steelies so don't worry about me making you look bad at fishing twindaddy.

I've got a 4x8 trailer which could handle 2 if we flipped one over and strapped them down really well.

T
Twindaddy
Caddissports

Caddissports

nimzrock said:
Try caddissports.com , its thier float tube site and Im sure they could answer your questions. Good luck and pm me when you are ready to do a run . I have a 9 foot toon and need to try a river run as well

Ok, tried caddissports. Caddis has a boat they call a pontoon which is just a glofied float tube with straight tubes. The one I have is a real pontoon boat, seperate steel frame, 16" or better dia. floats, etc. But perhaps because they have the "pontoon" boat it is hard for google to find any others? Perhaps it was a Bi-mart special that bombed but typically there is a google trail on everything. I will have to take a picture of it and post it.