Cabezon lingcod seabass!

S
steelhead1
Took a trip to depoe bay last weekend,rented some SOT 's,got into some really nice fish! Two 24+ lings,four black bass,one greenling,and a monster cabezon(guessing15#).Havnt had that much fun in years,but we were so cold when we got done we were shivering,despite the wetsuits!I must say that this is not fishing for the faint of heart,snagging up with high wind and 6 foot swells can be a little tricky...:shock:

S
Shadelady
great fish!! just got back form getting skunked at Boiler Bay. whats a SOT?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Now there's some nice looking dinners. Great pictures too.

S
steelhead1
Sit On Top kayaks,rent them at the surf shop, 25 bucks a day

F
fishinmachine
Way cool.

S
Shadelady
steelhead1 said:
Sit On Top kayaks,rent them at the surf shop, 25 bucks a day

i knew that i was so blinded by the good lookin fish i couldnt remember it!!

T
The Nothing
Good Times! I saw that lil surf shop rented SOTs, but I guess I've never been lucky enough to find myself on the coast on a day i'd dare go out...

S
southside_10
steelhead1 said:
Took a trip to depoe bay last weekend,rented some SOT 's,got into some really nice fish! Two 24+ lings,four black bass,one greenling,and a monster cabezon(guessing15#).Havnt had that much fun in years,but we were so cold when we got done we were shivering,despite the wetsuits!I must say that this is not fishing for the faint of heart,snagging up with high wind and 6 foot swells can be a little tricky...:shock:

I am pretty sure that is not The Oregon coast there in the pics. More like Mexico I would guess.

Peace, Tom

F
FishSchooler
The picture caption is depoe bay mexico... :think:

S
steelhead1
The caption is a little confusing,I have some pics from a trip to mexico and the depoe bay (oregon) pics on the same memory card,had to re-download onto my cpu,well,its complicated,but here are some pics from mexico!

Last edited:
F
fishndad
is it difficult to use a kayak in the ocean?

S
steelhead1
depends on your level of experience.wetsuits,life jackets,throw bags and survival gear are CRITICAL,and bring water.I check the marine reports daily and just watch for the nice calm days,stay close to shore and use your noggin, you be alright.

B
BigBear
Bait?

Bait?

What kind of set up were you using? Jigs, Bait? Would you describe the technique to catching some great looking fish like that? ... thanks..

BB

Oh and , nice fish! way to go!

S
steelhead1
twin tail jigs, one ounce lead head ,40 lb high impact, 12 ft penn persuit rod.just jig the bottom like you would on a charter!

S
Shadelady
steelhead1- just outta my own ignorance and trying to narrow my learning curve, about how many do you lose like that? i was bankc/cliff fishing with a similar set up and was doing fine until i blew through the heavy mono i had on and i switched to 80lb braid... man that stuff is kinda unforgiving. i have had about 5 casts with it and i know i need to tie it to a fence and walk it out and re-spool it...

S
steelhead1
I dont use braided line when fishing off the rocks,it tends to really tangle and snag on the surface of the stones,and is difficult to unsnag without breaking (or damaging) it.I have not lost a fish due to line breakage since I switched to 40,doesn't matter what pound test you use,snagged is snagged!I prefer 40lb trilene high impact (xt) in green

F
FishSchooler
What hook size and what type of cover? I am trying my first time at around netarts bay in two or three days...

S
steelhead1
I usually use a one ounce lead head and add a bannana type wieght inline if there is heavy current.Most bottom fish have HUGE mouths so a bigger hook is good.Oh yeah,SHARP hooks are a must!Look for under water rock structure and the outer edge of kelp beds.I have never fished Netarts,is there good access there?

C
Chubbs
Great suggestion

Great suggestion

Went to Otter Rock Surf Shop - picked up a SOT kayak for only $25/day! (In Portland I couldn't find any cheaper than $50) Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'd definitely get started earlier next time - by 2pm the swells were gettin' huge & we got a bit sea sick... but, we caught fish! All black rock fish (attached is a picture of one), no lings. Going back soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
S
steelhead1
right on dude! nice fish!Last time we went out we bungeed crab pots for some yummy dungees...:D