Bye bye wall

J

John B

Went to the Sportsman show yesterday and ran into someone I know who is
associated with ODFW on a volunteer basis and in conversation the Oregon City Wall came up, long story short, He told me that the wall has been closed down due to a construction project and that the state has no intention of reopening it once the construction is complete. He told me that there has been moneys allocated to build a new fishing dock on the opposite side. I find this to be great news for the lower Willamette Sturgeon fishrie.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

M

Markcanby

Thats funny cause I drove past it today an saw about 20 guys there fishing.
No offense but as usual odfw is full of sh#$.

J

John B

Guys, If I was given information that is incorrect please forgive me.
Maybe there is a closure date set ? he didn't say. I will be heading to
the river on Wednesday or Thursday for the first trip of many for 2010.
If the information that was given to me is B/S I will publish this persons
name on the forum for he is a well known professional guide. I can't imagine
that he would B/S on this issue. Anyway time will tell. See you on the river.
:think::think::think::think::think:

O

OnTheFly

It will be great when they rebuild the dock over there by the locks. I used to go down there when the Springers where in and one time I even picked up a steelhead! That spot over there is right in front of a big back eddy where the fish will hold up. However the deep hole, or I should say the trough, is on the Wall side of the river where the sturgeon like it. I don't believe the new dock area is going to be very good for sturgeon.:(

Last edited:
S

StreamFixer

No offense but as usual odfw is full of sh#$.

Here! Here! This is unnecessary. Perhaps you should read what has been reported more carefully.

Access to the wall will be closed when construction to the OC bridge begins. It has not begun as the contractor obviously has not moved in. It is my understanding the fishing area will be the contractor's storage and operations area. When they need it, and you can bet they will, there will be no access. I think this gives ODFW an opportunity to resolve a politically sticky situation. Once it is closed, for other reasons, folks get used to it not being available and they (F&W) then keep it closed after construction gone.

How about cutting a little slack to the ODFW folks or at least carefully reading the basis of your criticism before you unload.

And yes, I am glad to hear this abuse of resource appears to be coming to an end.

Streamfixer

M

Mike123

I got a letter from an ODFW official saying once a certain portion of the construction starts, the wall will be shut down. Whether they open it back up or not when it's finished is anyone's guess... :rolleyes:

R

Rokjak

Quote artical on Bill Monroe

Quote artical on Bill Monroe

On Oregon Live

* The "Wall," a controversial bank fishing area in Oregon City, will permanently close to fishing March 1 or April 1.

S

SailCat

On Oregon Live

* The "Wall," a controversial bank fishing area in Oregon City, will permanently close to fishing March 1 or April 1.

That is a near certainty but will be decided by fisheries managers in an Oregon City meeting on Thursday, February 18th.

Michael
The Guide's Forecast

O

osmosis

Lets hope they actually follow through and do something positive to help out the fisheries. It's about time.
Good riddance, Wall!

F

fishnquest

cliff fishing

cliff fishing

I don't know anything about the wall, but from the pictures I've seen, good riddance and about time. It looks like torture on the poor sturgeon. I wonder who was the first to think fishing like that was a good idea. Have you ever driven a mountain road, see the river way down there over a cliff and say "I know, lets cast from here!":rolleyes:

J

John B

As of today, there are 27 days until the death of the wall, and 295 days until Christmas.
Merry Christmas early Sturgeon Fisherman.

J

John B

287 day's till Christmas, and 21 day's till shut down of the wall.
HO HO HO, HO HO HO.

M

Mike123

Really? When I went by the other day it looked closed already.. I must have been mistaken.

J

John B

Well Mike, that closure was set by the state as April 1, If for some reason possably due to the
construction project or some other reason, then all the better. Any problem with the days until Christmas ?

M

Mike123

Well Mike, that closure was set by the state as April 1, If for some reason possably due to the
construction project or some other reason, then all the better. Any problem with the days until Christmas ?

Yea I got a letter reply from ODFW saying it's from the construction.. maybe they were fishing last week? Just seems like I remember no one being out there...:think:

Uhm I won't be thinking about X-mas until Novemeber.. lol... summer is getting near, that's what Im stoked for.

T

Throbbit _Shane

DOWN WITH THE WALL JK :)

Im stoked for april 24th. You'll find me at Hyatt or Diamond Lake :)

H

HANKIII

They followed through !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more fishing the wall starting thursday..............

J

John B

9 months, 269 days, 6465 hours, 3878847 minutes, and 23270798 seconds till Christmas.
2 days and no more wall. Merry Christmas early Willamette river Sturgeon fishrie.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Thank God and Greyhound,you're gone....

Thank God and Greyhound,you're gone....

So many years of watching this fiasco go on...it even had media support and tons of coverage back in the 80's. I will be glad to wave bye-bye!! :dance: :clap:

Top Bottom