Buying my first boat

J
joesnuffy
Now what? :p

It's a 69' Trihull, 14 foot, 55hp Evenrude Outboard.

A co-worker bought it last summer and has only used it once since then. I am picking it up for 1k.

So where do i go from here? :think:

H
Hawk
ConGratiations Bro.
...:D

Put in the plug before you launch the boat.

:lol::lol::lol:

Make sure you have all the safety equipment aboard...

starboard= rightside
port= leftside

J
joesnuffy
just picked it up. Too bad I'm hunting this weekend. it would have been a good one to go fish :p

B
beaverfan
Congrats on your first boat!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great news

Great news

joesnuffy said:

A co-worker bought it last summer and has only used it once since then. I am picking it up for 1k.

That is great news! :dance: Good for you! :clap: Does it have a top with sides for crummy weather fishing? There are soooo many things to add to your boat which will add to your fishing pleasure. There aren't many causes worth flattening your wallet as much as the boat will. :D :lol: Be sure to register and insure it first chance you get. Have fun with and don't forget...safety first.

G
GDBrown
Definition of a BOAT$$$$

Definition of a BOAT$$$$

joesnuffy said:

The Definition of a boat is:

GD

:dance::dance::yay::yay:A hole in the water into which you pour money!!!!:dance::dance::yay::yay:

From here you can count on spending two hours cleaning and maintaining your boat for every hour you spend on the water. :rolleyes:I know, I have years of experience with that.:rolleyes:

F
fishinmachine
Having had my fair share of boat "issues", I would say before any serious adventures are attempted, check the water pump, fuel lines, electrical connections, and spark plugs. After all that is confirmed as a-ok, proceed to spend at least 1.5X (conservative estimate usually ends up around 10-15X) the paid value of the boat on electronics, down riggers, out riggers, new rods and reels, rod holders for fishing, rod holders for storing the extra rods, nets, net holders, gaffs, stringers, new tackle storage, cup holders, ice chests for frosty's and lunch, coolers for fish, coolers for bait, fish whackers, anchor, anchor rope, drift sock, anchor puller, crab traps, crab davit, 5 crab measure's, floaty thing for keys, paddles, trolling motor, extra plug, backup to extra plug, life jackets, current copy of fishin regs, and finally a catchy name. By the time you assemble all this it will be time for a bigger boat. :D

F
FishFinger
joesnuffy said:

Congrats on the new addition to your family.. lol. I also picked up a Tri hull earlier this year. While I paid a spot less, I had quite a bit of renovations to do before she was water worthy. Great thing about Glass... with a little effort and some skill-bilities you can fix and modify pretty much anything.

Wadda you gonna name it or does it already have a one?

Do you have any picts of it? I'd be interested in seeing how similar the two boats are. Maybe even trade a few embellishment ideas.

M
Markcanby
Sounds to me like Fishmachine am me have something in common we spend all our money on gear an then don't have any for gas.:lol:

B
bd2cool
I pick up my 15 foot tri hull back in Jan and still doing odd jobs on it.

J
joesnuffy
I'm going to go out sometime this week after work to try it out. I've got to snag another life jacket though.

It took me a while to figure out how to put up the Bimini Top (bungee cord to the rescue) lol

I'll post a picture later.

J
joesnuffy
is there somewhere online that tells you what you are "required" to have on a fishing boat in oregon? I'd hate to gtet a ticket for something stupid :p

J
joesnuffy
Cool thanks!

It looks like since my boat is under 16 ft, i'm not required to carry much.

Fire Extingisher
PFD's for each person

B
beaverfan
I would highly recommend carrying a whistle too, they can come in very handy if you have any motor problems or anything.

G
GDBrown
Things to Consider

Things to Consider

I have another recomendation for you.... Make your first outing on a lake and make sure there are other boaters there. In case you need a tow back to the ramp....

1. Plug in place
2. leave on trailer until motor starts!
3. Turn off motor, then remove tied down straps
4. restart motor and launch.

I actually saw a guy who did lauch his boat without the plug in place only to discover that his motor would not start! He was scrambling for help because he had already moved his truck and trailer to the parking lot....

If you do forget to put the plug in.. It will take approximately 30 minutes longer to drain the boat than the amount of time it was in the water with the plug not in place.

The last note comes from my own sad experience. The question is not if it will happen to you, the question is WHEN will it happen to you. I don't think I have yet met a trailer boater who has not done it.

One more thing, all fuel sold for automobiles contains alchohol (sp - I'm not a drinker so I don't know how to spell it) the alchohol attracts moisture (common in boating environments) this makes the fuel not burn well especially in two cycle motors. It also thins the oil making it less of a lubricate. Check your fuel and filters often.
GD

J
joesnuffy
Thanks for that post.

I will only use premium gas in the boat. I get it for my 4-wheeler and snowmobile anyways. There is no Alcohol in it :p

There are quite a few items that I'm goign to need for the boat and will get over the winter months.

H
Hawk
I have a 40hp Nissan main motor, 2 cycle.

I put 2 cycle oil & Marine Stabil into each 6 gallon tank of gas (87 octane).

I think it would be a good idea if you got an owners manual for your motor. Check it to see what octane gas you should use.

Best of Luck to you Bro

:D

H
Hawk
DisConnect your trailer lights before backing trailer into water. It lessens chances of blowing bulbs.

J
joesnuffy
I've got the Original Owners manual for the Engine.

I've heard of unplugging the trailer lights first. I wonder how long it will take me to forget?

B
bd2cool
I am with hawk on the gas and lights-87 octane,50:1 oil and I add seafoam to my tanks.
It took it only one sets of popped bulbs to remember to unplugged my lighs.