Butte Creek 6/21 (lots of photos)

M
Modest_Man
With the hot weather I wanted to get outside today. When I left my apartment it was 84 degrees out, when I arrived at Butte Creek it was 68 degrees out. Much more comfortable. :cool:

I did not see any other people the three hours I fished (6-9pm). I had at least 100 strikes (pretty much every cast I had fish hitting my fly or my knots) but only managed to land three fish. I was using my 4wt with some sort of dry fly on in a size 18. It had wings and some red on its back. :rolleyes: Any tips for a better hookup ratio? I realize these fish are small, of the three I caught 8" was the largest. I have a hard time even seeing my fly so by the time the fish has surfaced it's too late and I set the hook on empty air. Regardless, I had a blast. Here are some photos.

Mt. Hood in some wheat on the drive up.
5859380150_fd47d7a7c0_b.jpg

Upper Butte Creek Falls
5859396872_f776db04f2_b.jpg

Self Portrait
5858842379_8e6887cffe_b.jpg

From the back
5858851015_2906cedfde_b.jpg

Lower Butte Creek Falls
5859388216_b874b73b22_b.jpg

5858852159_6a0b9fb6a0_b.jpg

And the drive home
5859398300_9f4b551cbb_b.jpg

F
FlyBum
WOW! Sweet pics :)

S
SinBreed
nice! is the fishin any good there when not using flies? trying to find some new places to fish, jus begun fishing in oregon (washington native). place looks beautiful!

M
markasd
Nice pics man - Love the shot of the wheat and Mt. Hood...

M
Modest_Man
I've done pretty good with small spinners on the Abiqua which is right next to Butte.

N
Noahk
Sweet! Great pics man!

L
lilsalmon
nice job...great pics...the falls are awesome

T
the_intimidator03
the first picture of the falls with that slow shutter speed is beautiful

C
chris61182
That looks positively beautiful there. Thanks for sharing!

F
firesweep
Nice pics! I've been trying to break free from work and hit that creek! I always fish the upper MO and Abiqua. Without seeing your line in the water my best "blind" tip is to make sure you rod is low and without slack! Slack in your fly line will kill your hook to sip ratio! I know this all to well. If that's not it, maybe you are like me and over-eager and setting the hook too soon or late.

M
Modest_Man
I was back up there today for our engagement shoot. I managed to sneak in 10 minutes of 4wt time, landed a 6" and had several rises. I just need to keep the slack out of my line and be more aggressive on the mend and hook set I think.

I should have a couple photos to share soon of me calf deep in the creek in a dress shirt and vest slinging some flies...

C
capblack
beautiful pics MM, i can't help you any on the fly fishing, but from the looks of it, you would have had a good time without any fish at all. Brian

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
T
troutramp
SinBreed said:
nice! is the fishin any good there when not using flies? trying to find some new places to fish, jus begun fishing in oregon (washington native). place looks beautiful!

I doubt those whoping 6 inch trout would be any fun on a bait rod/ spinning rod, thats 2wt water. They are probably not a ton of fun on a 4wt, except that they are hitting dries. That creek is C&R below the falls I believe and artificial fly and lure only. as are most of the creeks in Oregon.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutramp said:
I doubt those whoping 6 inch trout would be any fun on a bait rod/ spinning rod, thats 2wt water. They are probably not a ton of fun on a 4wt, except that they are hitting dries. That creek is C&R below the falls I believe and artificial fly and lure only. as are most of the creeks in Oregon.
id have to agree. using spinners regardless of size on a catch and release stream will just rip lip and kill em even if released.. and theres no fight in it either.