Burnt Lake, hiking, fishing and recovering.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
*Disclaimer* This was my first OFFicial fly fishing trip as I had only once ever even attempted to cast so excuse me if my excitement leads to a long winded rambling post. :D

So as some of you know I finally got all my gear together and decided to break it all in at Burnt Lake with a buddy of mine Saturday.

Little did I know how much of a hike it would turn out to be.

To give you a bit of an idea I am probably 40lbs overweight (60 if you go by government guideline, lol) 30+lb pack and a 12lb float tube all strapped to my back. Like this.

I thought I was going to just give up towards the end and just have my buddy get me later, lol. From my understanding it was about a 4.25mi hike with a 1400' elevation change most of which was in the last mile or so it seemed.

But I trudged on to finally be greeted by this.

After collapsing by the lake side I finally got my gear together and set out on my first fly fishing, or in this case I suppose it would be more accurately called fly dragging, excursion.

I started out with an Olive Crystal bugger and caught my first Cuttie in the process of just getting the fly out to start my drag. The fish nailed it the second it hit the water. Nice fat fish good color however I learned a valuable lesson. The 2lb 7x tippet I chose was a strong as a human hair. I went to get the fly from his mouth and he flipped in my lap snapped the line and went back in the lake with my Olive Crystal Bugger. My buddy stayed on shore with a worm and a bobber and slayed fish all day.

So after that I tied directly to my 6lb leader and continued to catch fish. Sadly I never thought about taking pictures initially but I caught several good sized Cutties and one brookie. All fish were in the 9 to 12" range.

After a bit the bite died of just enough I decided to switch to a black crystal bugger (btw, my flies are store bought :) ) and that did the trick. I finally thought about pictures by that time. Here are a few I caught.

I haven't quite got the technique of getting them to pose down yet but I'm working on it.

Anyway, we fished for about 4.5 hours before deciding we needed to take on that long hike back. I don't know how many fish I caught but it was enough to make me feel satisfied about the trip and I know my little 4wt rod got quite the workout. Missed a few to as I am not used to how quick hit they can be sometimes.

So on the way back I just couldn't take the weight on my back anymore and just flat out quit. My buddy took my tube the rest of the way back and I was able to limp out the rest of the way.

So I learned a few things on this trip. First and foremost that was the most difficult physical task I have ever accomplished and will NEVER try that again, lol. My shoulders, legs, knees, feet and two ankles I rolled were/are in the most pain I have ever experienced. I had to move my left arm with my right because the pain was so severe in my left shoulder. You should have seen my trying to walk when we stopped for dinner. I looked like and old horror movie zombie, LOL.

Second is I can't cast to save my life and need a LOT of work in that area.

Third I need to learn a LOT about fly fishing and the proper equipment i.e. tippet as well as everything else.

I will say this, despite the pain and the brutal hike that trip itself was well worth it and a memory I am glad I will have with me for the rest of my life.

And yes I am a Fly fisherman for life now. I can't wait to improve me skill and flog some more water.

Thanks for reading my long winded post. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Chromatose
Chromatose
Good for you in that you persevered the hike and were rewarded with what looks like a great time catching......Psssttttt, ya might want to invest in a Vice for tying your own Bugs. Tying your own bugs is a great way to be rewarded for you efforts as well.

S
Spydeyrch
Nicely done there CTM!!!! Congrats on making it up to the lake. That is dedication right there if I ever saw it!! :clap:

Nice fish and thanks for the pics.

Hopefully you will start to feel better soon and get over those sore muscles.

If you are looking for information regarding fly fishing, check out the Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing. They have tons of info on their site!!! TONS!! I would say that listening to the podcasts have been one of the most helpful things for me to learn fly fishing. Though I would say that the #1 thing that helped me the most was actually getting out (usually with other anglers/fly fishers) and fishing/practicing.

Orvis Fly Fishing Learning Center

Check out their videos, knot tying, flash cards, quizes, etc. But seriously listen to the pod casts. There are currently 183 podcasts and they range from everything and anything in fly fishing.

Good luck out there and enjoy the water!

-Spydey

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Thanks guys, I will all of your suggestions under advisement.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
C
ColoradoTroutMan
Sinkline said:
Great post & gorgeous fish! Thanks for the very honest report!

My advice is never use less than 3X tippet for large stripping type flies such as a bugger in stillwater. Never use less than 4X tippet for any other fly in stillwater.

My friend Jim can't cast well at all but he catches lots of stillwater fish, and big fish as well! The casting will come wth practice, and you will need to cast well for stream fishing, but just getting your fly down where the fish are and "dragging" will get you into all the fish you want in stillwater so don't worry too much about it while your skills are building. :cool:

I don't know what lines you have now, but if you continue to stillwater fish you will need a Clear/Camo Intermediate full sinker. An Intermediate sinker and a floater will cover 99% of all your needs for stillwater trout. Over the course of a season you will use that Intermediate sinker the majority of the time.

Randy

Thank you for the advice. I will be still water 85-95% of the time so I will make that switch.

S
Socaaron
Congrats! And let me guess you came in from Lolo Pass RD? That hike is uphill and unkind after the first mile or so, especially if you were expecting it to be easy(as I was). I was there a couple weeks ago and caught some absolutely gorgeous Brookies and because they are in spawn right now at that lake you get to see them with their crimson bellies!

J
jimmy
your whole post was nothing but awesome...... looks like you covered the bases, learned your limits and pushed them,found your weaknesses and dealt with them and ended up with fish in hand..... you'll never forget it. thanks for posting.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
jimmy said:
your whole post was nothing but awesome...... looks like you covered the bases, learned your limits and pushed them,found your weaknesses and dealt with them and ended up with fish in hand..... you'll never forget it. thanks for posting.

Thanks. It's definitely something I will never forget and a huge learning experience, not only fishing wise but hiking wise.

Socaaron, it was Lolo road so you for sure know my pain. :)

I would like to fish it again but will consider either bringing less stuff or leaving the tube at home. It's one of the most beautiful lakes I have found so far in Oregon.

Thanks again all for hearing my story and for all of your suggestions and help.

C
ChezJfrey
Loved every bit of the story and photos.

Well done on sticking it out learning some things along the way; that's what this whole thing is about.

And when you figure out how to get the fish to pose properly, let me know as they don't always cooperate for me either :)