Buoy 10 chinook season comes to a close

Irishrover
Irishrover
Today makes the end of the buoy 10 to Tongue Point chinook fishery. It was a fair year with some days being very productive and some not. One the good side it was a great weather year, not a lot of rain to deal with. The ocean seemed to be the hot spot for consistent catching, of course that is not part of the buoy 10 area but it is close. The Ilwaco, Hammond, Warrenton Astoria had a larger flood of people this year. I believe that was due to the reported prediction of some 1.6 million chinook that were suppose to be here for the buoy 10 fishery. Last time I looked, yesterday the count over Bonneville was more like 98,000. We had fun taking family and friends out fishing and were able to have a few fish time salmon catches for people on the boat. I was able to take 5 of my grandkids out to fish and both of my sons. My life long fishing partner, Mrs. Irishrover, caught her share of fish.

This year we tried something a little different and it worked great. On a whim I tried trolling a pink hoochie with a small spinner blade just above it. The fish loved it and soon a few more boat here at the marina gave it a try with very good success. I use them all the time in the ocean but had not tried that in the river. For the river it is spinners, herring or anchovies. Now hoochies get added to the list.

This year again as with the large crowd of people there was a massive amount of boats. It's a good thing that it is a very large river so it could accommodate the large influx. Now September is upon us and we have a three coho limit, also it's time to drag out the crab potsand go after some bottom fish.

I posted four pictures. One came out upside down the rest were on their side. I'll work on that later.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks for the update, Lonn. I look forward to the pics!

E
eugene1
Sounds like a good season for you up there.

What would you say about the size of the fish this year vs. years past.

Take care,

Irishrover
Irishrover
One day a friend of mine who runs a guide service landed 6 chinook in the 30lbs range. That is not the norm but 30lbs plus fish are caught quite often up here this year. We have put a few 25lbs fish in the boat. The coho are real not large. Those we caught in the early part of the season were the smallest. I think now that September is here and the coho have been out there feeding on an ocean full of anchovies we will soon see nice size coho in the rivers. The beer my granddaughter is holding is mine I wanted to tease my daughter.

• 1407094479522.jpg
  • 0819141202.jpg
  • 0819141238.jpg
  • 0826141351b.jpg
O
OnTheDrop
Sweet Lonn,

I heard Sunday was one of the most epic bites seen out there. Some guides were hooking 30-50 fish...I know one group I know had 54 take downs by noon... That's just insane. Church hole area I believe..

Irishrover
Irishrover
That's where I fished on Sunday, the Church Hole. I didn't bother to go all the way up to the bridge just slipped in above the church and started fishing. We only had four hits. Now that was not a bad thing the first one spit the hooks, the next one was a hatchery coho the next two hits were hatchery chinook. That was enough for us and with that we headed into the Skipanon and home with three bright fish. I heard from friends that above Tongue Point today it was lights out fishing.

C_Run
C_Run
Nice to see some B-10 reports on OFF. Thanks.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'm headed back down next week for a spell. Came home to watch a grandsons football game, and get a root channel. The football game I suspect will turn out to be the more enjoyable of the two. I'm going to be dropping in crab pots and fishing for silvers. Three fish limit on silvers from buoy 10 to Tongue Point. Should be a great time and there will be far fewer boats.

Irishrover
Irishrover
The wind down here the last two day has kept me off the water. It is making the fishing hard for some and unsafe for others. It should calm down here by the weekend.

Got tired of sitting around, loaded up the boat and went out. The wind has calmed down and we fished. Brought back two nice coho one for dinner and one for later.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Glad you got out and didn't get blown to Japan. Good job getting dinner while you were out there, too. :thumb: