Bull trout reintroduction

S
skunk
Just saw an update on the reintroduction of Bull trout to the upper clack. What's your opinion? Is the clack really a watershed that is maintained to support introduction of any fish? From what I've observed, wild steelhead getting taken home!, I am confident there are enough looser weekenders up there that this is really nothing more that a money wasting venture by odfw. Sure sounds like a good idea, but if the planted trout find the frying pan, then is it REALLY a good use of funds?

K
Kais
Ya it sounds like a good idea, but probably won't work

B
beaverfan
I think since they are native to the upper Clack then hell ya bring em back! If I remember right these won't be "planted" fish, more like re-located fish from the wild to the wild.

C
chris61182
I thought they were going to be planted VERY far upstream, and going by memory, perhaps in one of the branches that are closed to fishing?

S
skunk
chris61182 said:
I thought they were going to be planted VERY far upstream, and going by memory, perhaps in one of the branches that are closed to fishing?

That would be much prefered. And beaverfan, if you put any fish in another body of water, are we really going to argue over what its called???

M
mgman6000
Are we going to be able to fish for them? Catch and release of course.

B
beaverfan
skunk said:
That would be much prefered. And beaverfan, if you put any fish in another body of water, are we really going to argue over what its called???

Well ya because there is a HUGE difference between a stocked/planted fish and a wild/native fish that is simply relocated from a stream. I was making a point that if I remember correctly these fish aren't gonna be hatchery raised fish.

J
jjbigfly
While it would be a bonus to be able to fish (C&R) for Bull Trout up there, I am having a tough time thinking that any state agency is going to be able to put their hands in this and have it be "as advertised". Not able to foretell the future, just thinking about the past record. Not that I have no faith in them, you understand...... :)

W
waco
This bull trout are going to eat all the salmon and steelhead smolts

H
halibuthitman
"sport" fishermen will catch and kill them off through illegal retention faster than they can reproduce.

M
Moe
I agree with waco, i think these predators would eat more smolt than the pikeminnow do

H
halibuthitman
Moe said:
I agree with waco, i think these predators would eat more smolt than the pikeminnow do
this is just another ridiculous case of villionizing a native species for your own selfish desires. pike minnows and bull trout existed for thousands of years with steelhead.. but man has never existed well with anything... even each other- loggers and land owners, bonneville power administration oregon dept of fish and wildlife and poachers pretending to be sportsmen, commercial fishing interests and mining have done 99.99999999 % of the damage to the steelhead runs... and hydroelectric companies and comercial fishing interests have provided 50% of the recovery dollars and odfw and private groups have done most of the leg work and sweat.. and given the choice between hanging out all day with a couple of trout fishermen or a bunch of sometimes ... I mean salmon fishermen.. then I say let the bull trout eat. Why you gotta hack on a fish that belongs there lookin for some food, Moe.. you and I are the only thing that doesn't fit in oor belong there, learn how to be a better steelhead fisherman and you will catch more fish, don't blame failure on a lack of runs or biology... if theres only 4 fish in the river that day its 2 more than you need for your limit that day-

P
plumb2fish
+1 HH...
I spent 15 plus years in an area where Dollyvarden were common and although I agree that they are voracious eaters, my largest steelhead to date was taken from one of these streams. I also had days where 15 steel was pretty common.(this was not in Alaska, Canada, or the Olympic Penninsula) As a matter of fact it is in an area where most people, including DFW, complain about over harvest by native gill nets and predation. It was legal to retain 1 Dolly +20" a day and I remember cutting one open in April and it having 30 or more smolts in its belly...Survival of the fittest

S
skunk
halibuthitman said:
"sport" fishermen will catch and kill them off through illegal retention faster than they can reproduce.

My point exactly!!!

Top Bottom